The MT-07 Forum

Shoei NXR - your thoughts on the brand

VEXX

Hello everyone, last november I took a plunge and bought what I consider, a top brand helmet. 
The SHOEI NXR Recounter, light, confortable and so so different from my dual sport nexx xd1. 

Unfortunately after just barely half a year I had to send it back to be repaired, the chin strap started to unwind to a point that eventually my finger would poke through it. 
A lot of my friends have the same model as me and with greater use and theirs are mint. 

what’s your opinion on shoei as a brand? I contacted them and was replied very quickly that they would repair it if the defect was due to poor workmanship. 
just had to send it through the dealer that agreed to do it, but that took a turn for better.

they agreed to send the helmet to shoei but upon receiving it, gave me a refund and I’ll order a new one. 

A word of advice, don’t buy Shoei with matt finish. Bug splatter will stain permanently if not cleaned on the next day.

the next one will be a philosopher with gloss finish..

CC615246-0A68-45E9-A8B7-9F74A30EC76E.jpeg

4893893A-7698-409E-A364-DF7B68E5E232.jpeg

5FE173FD-8909-4C0F-B46C-316ADDEB9592.jpeg

9F206D88-DCA8-4535-9B4F-D6FA25252E7B.jpeg

Just replaced my ancient 15+ y.o. Shoei with an RF-1200 Beacon TC-3 and am pleased with fit and finish. I know the old one was made very well, excellent materials. The new one, will let you know... ;) Seems very well made to me (so far!).

I've only ever had a Shoei RF1200, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but I've had no issues...other than the fact my transitions shield for it was so expensive haha.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

IMO it's always been a toss up when I think about it between Shoei and Arai. And Shoei won the last few tosses, and because they last so long, I've had a Shoei lid on most of the time in the last 25 years.

I can say that the new version of the Shoei Cruise (Shoei Cruise II) is an fantastic helmet for an open face aggressive type posture - I picked one up for the XSR700 so I could have a bit of nostalgia retro look with that bike (the open helmet) but at the same time the design is so protective I feel almost as safe as with a full face Shoei.

This Shoei Cruise has a redesigned internal sun shield that is the cat's meow - ya I said that in a retro kind of slang way, strait out of the 1950's.... and the venting is so good I don't know how it could get any better, it's working for me on the Gulf Coast USA where temps and humidity soar...

Shoei use to be a kind of quiz answer you could spot even at a distance - you could tell who had a $7 head by their $7 helmet....

• Like 1

I have a Philosopher.  It' the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned.  High speed wind resistance on the helmet is much better than the others I've owned as well, including with head turns.  It's easy to take off and put on.   No helmet is quiet, but the Philosopher is quieter than all of the previous models of helmets, including Shoei brand.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, rfmueller said:

I have a Philosopher. 

Do you keep him in the guest room or the basement? 😆

OH you were talking about a helmet model... nevermind. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I think the only negative that can be said about Shoei would be if you have a head like me - doesn't fit right.  Hardly their fault though...  

• Premium Member

Coming from a HJC Max modular I bought the Shoei Neotec modular and some smaller cheek pads because apparently my head isnt shaped like a pencil on a hunger strike. For 1200 I would hoped for extra cheek pads to be included but of course thats wishful thinking. I wore multiple brands at the shop for 5 min each and found the Shoei fits perfectly with no hotspots. Not sure how one would go about finding the right fit today with Covid though.

Love the build quality, glossy=easy cleaning, sound dampening is decent IMO, drop down visor, visibility is great, vents very well and I love the modular design for those grossly hot days when you just have to get some more circulation at a stop etc and removing your helmet all the time is a pain in the ass. Would buy Shoei again.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 2 weeks later...

I crashed my first shoei X-11 in the canyons a few weeks after I dropped over $650 for it. I sent it into shoei to see if it was still safe to use. They sent it back a week or so later with a brand new visor to replace my scratched one, all of the broken mechanisms replaced and a certificate saying it was perfectly safe still.

They're my favorite helmet maker by far. 

• Like 1

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Well I guess I’m the owner of a new shoei Nxr philosopher now too. 
I don’t know if the dealer actually sent the helmet to shoei but I was refunded and decided to give it another go. This time no matt finish. 
my transition shield went on it. Honestly it’s very practical for day and night riding but it’s a bit on the expensive side and it has a limit of cycles. 
my friend’s turn yellowish instead of clear. 
but all is well. Happy with the brand. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve owned 3 shoei models: X14, rf1200, RF SR. The shape fits my head. Internal padding is very comfortable, and fairly anti microbial (doesn’t stink after sweating). No complaints. Also sounds like they have great customer service. 

if that damage in the picture was the only damage to your helmet, I personally wouldn’t be too concerned.  It’s the edge of the strap so it doesn’t hinder the safety or strap function. But I understand why you would be concerned. To prevent it in the future Maybe try undoing the button by prying the button open with your fingers instead of yanking on the strap. By just pulling on the strap that could cause the type of wear you experienced. 

• Global Moderator
On 8/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, VEXX said:

Well I guess I’m the owner of a new shoei Nxr philosopher now too. 
I don’t know if the dealer actually sent the helmet to shoei but I was refunded and decided to give it another go. This time no matt finish. 
my transition shield went on it. Honestly it’s very practical for day and night riding but it’s a bit on the expensive side and it has a limit of cycles. 
my friend’s turn yellowish instead of clear. 
but all is well. Happy with the brand. 

wonder if its older versions of transition shields, because i have a shield in my rf1200 thats been in for nearly 5 years in Arizona summers and have no issues with clarity or even transition time. still wish it would get darker.... i have to wear my sunglasses underneath it still. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I have been wearing an Arai Defiant for the last few years and love it. As it is getting a little rough around the edges I've looked into the Shoei RF1200. Every time I go and look at one and try on someone ultimately chimes in with a "best helmet Ive ever had" so it will most likely be my next lid. But now that I see all this talk of the NXR I have a new possibility to consider.