The MT-07 Forum

New to me project bike

Bigturbomax

Bigturbomax

I think it has a side benefit of making the back tire look less tiny lol

Bigturbomax

Need to do a little more work on the bracket. Chopped off massive fender and put liner back in after separating the giant OE fender amd liner.

20200802_203500_copy_1008x477.jpg

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Very cool!!! As I stated earlier, I learned a lot.... I'm now more "cautious" of project bikes I take on 🙄.... I still enjoy it, but at times it gets to be too much... Good luck with the new project bike 😎-

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Bigturbomax

Testing prototype for my home made LED tail light...

20200805_214221_copy_1008x477.jpg

20200805_215325_copy_1008x477.jpg

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

I still have A LOT of work to do, but i got my new battery in the mail today and started it for the first time. Starter solenoid is no good so ill need to replace it. I started it with a remote start switch today.

I did ride it for about 20 minutes to blow everything out. Even on wooden worn out brake pads and rock hard old tires, it was a freaking blast! Its much quicker than i expected.

Had my son give me hand with the bike last night to bleed the brakes. (Hes only marginally interested in motorcycles, thinks theyre cool and will help me work on em. But hes scared to go for a ride with dad. Im not gonna push him. I told him when hes ready ill be here and ride nice and slow so he can get used to it)

Took a test drive and brakes feel way better. Ill do a full flush when i get new pads and repaint the calipers. Also noticed the shifter is really annoying. Its basically level with the left peg and takes way too much to upshift, gotta move my whole leg lol. Reclocked the linkage to fit my ergos better and now love the shidfter. This little thing shifts real smooth. 

Im still getting hard starts and rev hang so ill be going back into the carbs later. Not sure whats going on there yet. Pulls hard at high rpm and is smooth in the midrange. 

Noticed a pretty audible tapping at right front of motor in top end. Will check valve clearance and cam chain tension and go from there. 

Thats it for yesterday.

• Like 3

Very short clip of me taking off in front of the house from last night just testing the carb work. 

Well i havent checked valve clearance yet but i did check the cam chain tensioner and found it sticking from nasty old dried grease. Cleaned it real good and regreased it. Scary tapping noise went away (thank goodness), and bike starts WAY easier now and idles better. Still has a little rev hang and choke circuit not working right. Baby steps lol. 

Installed the new start solenoid today so i can actually start it with the starter button now. 

Also got the outer red lenses swapped out for new clear ones and installed sockets and ambers. Wired it all up and now have my turn signals all housed within the tail. No more externally mounted blinkers. Tail tidy looking GOOD now!

20200810_205621_copy_1008x477.jpg

20200810_205213_copy_1008x477.jpg

Sorry for disappearing there for a minute. Been a bit busy lol

Had all the crumbled pieces of the old air filter on the floor still. Sad looking lol. Got the new filter in the mail today, oiled and installed it. Its amazing how much better it runs now. I knew not having a filter in there would make it lean but wow what a difference!

Edited by Bigturbomax

Also noticed some intermittance when pressing the starter button. Opened it up and knocked the glaze off the contacts with 1000 grit and reassembled. Works perfect now. 

Edited by Bigturbomax

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!!! I'm still here. The ninja is almost ready. Tons of updates coming!

Picked her back up to go through a lot of things. Began pulling things apart. 

20201120_193002_copy_567x268.jpg

Painted rear pegs and front rear sets. Sanded down the rusty chrome header and coated with good high temp ceramic. I also took this opportunity to remove the useless helmet lock. I cut the helmet lock bracket and unneeded matching ear from the opposite side of the bike. Smoothed out cuts and repainted passenger peg mounts. Also cut mounting tabs for this off the frame and hit this spots black to prevent rust. Prolly ditched a half pound from the bike. I'm reducing weight everywhere I can. 

Edited by Bigturbomax

Repaired all the damage to the mufflers from previous downs and recoated with the same black ceramic as the headers.

Edited by Bigturbomax

More weight reduction. Cut down chain guard so that is still does it's job, weighs less and doesn't look quite so 1988. Also repainted swing arm after fixing damage where mufflers were rubbing. 

20201122_102910_copy_567x268.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax

Repainted wheels and sprocket hub a custom charcoal color. It's 3 different layers to get the effect. Recoated radiator guard standard silver as well. Then ditched the center stand. Won't use it....and it weighs a few pounds haha 😂

20201122_134017_copy_567x268.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax

Painted calipers and got new brake pads.

20201127_084342_copy_567x268.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax

Fixed dents in tank and repainted it white along with the side panels. 

20201129_170301_copy_567x1198.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1