The MT-07 Forum

New to me project bike

Bigturbomax

Thanks Moss!

Changed oil in front forks, went heavier in the oil and a little higher on the level. Much better action of the forks now. Mounted and balanced 2 new continental conti scoot tires. Which by the way are STICKY. I can't believe how well these little tires hook. 

Previous owner had swapped the front sprocket to 15t and effectively killed alot of what little bottom end the bike had. I put it back to the stock 14t and it's night and day. Little bike woke right up. Of course I put a new DID on there too. 

Here's a little playing round in the parking lot near my house trying out the new tires and sprocket set up. The body work and paint is not finished yet lol. 

• Like 1

Also painted cluster bezel and bar ends to match body panels. Replaced mis-matched bar end bolts. Upgraded front master cylinder to 2008+ style. It's the same bore and bolts right on. So the brake feel doesn't change, but it's a smaller/lighter design and allows me to use aftermarket levers. The older perch design doesn't really have any aftermarket options. Amusingly, the clutch perch is the same between the 2 models so no worries there. Went ahead and installed some levers of course to cuz I like my clutch close to the bar and my brake far from it lol. 

and THEEEEENNN.... I rebuilt the petcock valve cuz it was sticking and installed a micro fuel filter pre-carb. Installed LED tail bulb. Re-fabbed my tail tidy to be smaller and lighter and installed a tiny LED on bottom side of brake light for a nice clean plate light. 

Finished painting front fender and belly pan. Installed new mesh in belly pan. Got a nice neon green repro badge set to go with my white paint job. Also put on super bike grips I had in my pile of parts. Modded throttle tube with zip ties, super glue and sand paper. It's now the same throw as my FZ with the R6 tube on it. 

Still got some work to do. I wanna put a stainless line on front brake. But it's the home stretch. Bike is ride-able, safe and ALMOST looks good now.

I got a new windshield for it too. This is how it looks right now. I'm still working on the front fairing. Did I mention I trimmed down the giant front fender. Once again I wanted it to look newer and weight less lol. 

20201226_103407_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 2

finally got it all put back together and finished all the paint work. Got most of the new decals on. I'm still waiting on some more green vinyl in one inch stripe to finish the front fairing.

20210101_135819_copy_1500x1021.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a before and after shot. I think I'm actually done now. It's street legal and everything, ton of fun. Makes a great addition to my garage next to the FZ.

PhotoGrid_1610492137511.jpg

• Like 2

fivepointnine

I would recommend rejetting and ditching the airbox for uni pod filters (the jetting specs are somewhere on the interwebs for those filters) It makes the bike sound like a little GP bike and really wakes up throttle response.