The MT-07 Forum

Two Lessons

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member

Lesson One - make sure your helmet fits correctly (correct size) and is strapped on tight.

Lesson Two - Don’t chop the throttle after the finish line. 

This guy was incredibly lucky. 

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Lesson 3 - Target fixation. Look closely at his focus, he hit exactly what he was aiming at. Never focus on what you don't want to hit; focus on where you want to go. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I can’t focus on anything, so I’m good 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I am still sitting here trying to fathom what the hell that rider was thinking!    On a track at high speeds without strapping his helmet on!   I would think the track ownership and sanctioning body (if racing) will have a conversation with that rider with some time out.    

Crazy!   I strap on my helmet if I'm riding 30 feet and absolutely from zero if on a road.   When I was a teen a very popular local rider was going from one place to another a half block away, he had his full face helmet sitting on top of his head, not fitted on and strapped.  A half block...   a neighbor who was drunk turned in to his driveway in front of the rider .  The rider hit once, helmet came off, hit twice.  He never regained consciousness and died a few days later.   That stuck with me...  45 years now.    

On the subject of helmets; don't be too hard on the rider as he may well have had his helmet buckled. Over the years I've seen numerous helmets 'pop off' as a result of crash dynamics, both on the street and on the race track. The shape of our noggins varies and is not a secure mounting point as it moves in 3 dimensions and changes shape during violent movement. Marco Simoncelli comes to mind.

More importantly, over my career I've never removed a helmet from a dead rider. I'm not saying you can't die while wearing a helmet as people certainly have. I'm just saying that after hundreds of motorcycle crashes every helmeted rider I encountered left the scene alive. 

Food for thought.

• Like 3

I watched it in slow-mo and @:44 you can see a piece of what may be a piece of his chin strap came off from the pressures put on it from when he hit the ground and his chin slamming downward into his chest. Can't say that's a piece of the strap with 100% certainty but I strongly suspect it is. If there were a small stress fracture in the plastic that he didn't see before that could explain it coming apart.

Beemer

Wow. Very informative video. Recently I had forgot to strap my helmet because I was distracted by something before I started riding. I didn’t realize it until the strap started flapping around. Foolishly I kept riding telling myself I was only 1/2 a mile from my destination. I had considered pulling over instantly to strap it on but decided not to. I thought to myself that if I got into an accident I might as well have not worn a helmet. It would have instantly flown off. Lesson learned and enforced by this video. 

just to clarify, how tight do you guys strap the chin strap? I remember from my youth while learning to ride a bicycle that the helmet chin strap should be just tight enough to fit ones index and middle finger between your chin and the strap. Motorcycle is a different beast though  

4 hours ago, Kiwii said:

"Recently I had forgot to strap my helmet..."

I have found it uselful to have a mnemonic for pre-ride checks. Mine is 'LUSH':   Lights, Up Stand, Helmet. 

• Thanks 1

Just do it!