The MT-07 Forum

Rev Limiter...

blackout

• Premium Member

Is it o.k. to hold the bike at the rev limiter a few seconds if you are coming to a corner where you know you'll just have to down shift?  Thanks.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

phanomenal07

Would like to know this as well. Hitting the limiter approaching turn 4 at njmp. Can I just stay wot for the little bit or should I shift. I currently do neither and just roll off early.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Are you asking in regards to cornering technique or from a mechanical perspective?

As long as you're not bouncing off the limiter, I don't see a problem from a mechanical perspective.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Is it o.k. to hold the bike at the rev limiter a few seconds if you are coming to a corner where you know you'll just have to down shift?  Thanks.  

We hit the rev limiters a fair amount. It's not a big deal and is sometimes necessary on track to gain an advantage or complete a pass or out of a draft or...

Be careful tho as hitting the limiter at the wrong place/time on track bombs your momentum and makes you a sitting duck to the dude stalking you. It's hard on exit drive too. If I feel it coming, I'll keep the revs just beneath it if I can so I don't nose dive and get picked off. 

Ordinarily if we are bumping it for no good reason then I look at my gearing or riding technique for a solution. Maybe a gearing change suits that track on that day or that riders line better. It's not always the case however and like all good things that seem to work good here, they may be a poor trade there. A line change or a short shift might be a better choice or heaven forbid I go faster (or slower) which might negate a change, or possibly force one. 

Clear as mud no? Any way it won't hurt the bike. 

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

Thanks.  I mainly wanted to confirm that it would not hurt the bike.  But the full explanation is helpful too.  Thanks Moss!

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

11 minutes ago, blackout said:

Thanks.  I mainly wanted to confirm that it would not hurt the bike.  But the full explanation is helpful too.  Thanks Moss!

Yeah, I talk too much. Kinda add the stocking stuffers for other folks that stumble through and tend to have follow up questions down the road. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Yeah, I talk too much. Kinda add the stocking stuffers for other folks that stumble through and tend to have follow up questions down the road. 

Well, you are very informative .  You brought up factors I would never have thought of asking.

• Thanks 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

I like when you talk to much. I usually learn something. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

I like when you talk to much. I usually learn something. 👍

Agreed. 100%.

• Thanks 1

When we were at Road Atlanta one of the riders was rolling off based on the logs.  He was only the limiter on a short shoot and didn't want to grab a gear for the split second.  It was causing him to roll back on the throttle instead of riding the limiter before braking.

My advise to him was let it eat... its why its there.  

Now based on your example above I would also say your left hand or a slipper have a ton to play in the equation also.  If your sitting on the limiter and grab a couple down shifts and the motor doesn't slow to an appropriate speed its pretty easy to float a valve into the piston. A slipper would help prevent the back torque from bring able to drive the rpm, but so can clutch control.

Food for thought.  

• Like 2

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

What Matt said but don't be afraid to use the rev limiter. That's what it is there for.  I was not kind to my 2T race bikes but they had such a small, usable rpm range I often had no choice.  That's why new pistons every 4 weekends and new crank every winter on the 2T's.

• Like 1