The MT-07 Forum

BoosterPlug

D.A.

On 7/19/2020 at 4:08 PM, scat2me said:

I installed the Booster plug on mine. Simple install and the twitchiness disappeared. Very happy with it 3 years now.

Release the Power in your Yamaha, without the expensive setup of a Power Commander and Dyno hours

Hey @scat2me:

I saw the response above on another thread. This was the first time I had heard of the BoosterPlug so I did some research and discovered it's widely used on other fuel-injected bikes and consistently gets great reviews – primarily for eliminating closed-to-open throttle jerkiness. Apparently the device fools the CPU into thinking the ambient temperature is 35°F (20°C) cooler than it really is and the CPU compensates by enriching the AFR by around 6%, thus alleviating the jerkiness. It sounds like a simple, quick and – at $159 delivered – cost-effective solution to an annoying problem.

Performance-wise, my FZ07 is stock. I like the engine braking and would prefer to keep it but hate the almost unavoidable surge in power when rolling on the throttle from a closed position. Also, although I enjoy horsepower as much as the next guy, the FZ07 is among the least powerful motorcycles I've ever owned, meaning I didn't buy it for power and therefore have little interest in power-boosting upgrades like aftermarket exhausts and airbox mods. If I wanted a more powerful bike, I would have kept my ZX-10R.

Instead I like the lightness, simplicity, styling and overall hooligan nature of the FZ. But I would also like being able to ride aggressively in the corners without having to worry about losing the rear tire due to the unpredictable burst of thrust you suddenly get when rolling on the throttle because of the lean stock fueling.

I've read tons of threads on this forum about the PCV, re-flashing the CPU, etc. but the BoosterPlug sounds like it might be the best solution for me. In your experience, does the device actually deliver on its promises? Also, BoosterPlug's website says installing the device makes temperature readings on the speedometer inaccurate by 35°F. Does this affect when the cooling fan turns on and off? Any negatives you can tell me about using or installing the BoosterPlug?

Interestingly, as far as I can tell, you are the sole proponent of it here on FZ07.org. Of course, if anyone else has experience with it, please feel free to chime in!

Edited by D.A.

BoosterPlug is probably the cheapest option but far from the best fueling solution.

I use a PCV with exhaust & intake mods (very happy with it), but to resolve your issues I'd go with an ecu tune to disable injector cut at zero throttle & smooth the the acceleration fueling.

• Like 2

I bought my 2017 FZ07 New. It had 7 miles. I was lucky I got a GREAT deal. I bought the Bike for$5500. with a 5 year warranty.( someone won it in a raffle and didn't ride).

I rode it home from the dealership and noticed the "Twitchyness" immediately. The ride home was about 40 miles. Since the bike was new and I hadn't ridden in many years I gave it about 2 months. It didn't improve. Before buying the FZ07 I was looking at the Ducati Scrambler. That's what I really wanted. The Ducati has the same throttle issue. The Scrambler forum is where I first read about the Booster plug. I joined this forum and read all the posts and mods that users were "upgrading" to. I decided on the Booster plug and have no complaints. It does what it says it will do. Having said that...I am not a racer or someone that wants to spend a lot of $$ modding a bike I use for pleasure. I read how people buy a bike that is stock and before they get it home they have decided that they have to change EVERYTHING. I don't understand that philosophy but to each his own. With the booster I average 45 MPG.  Good luck. I am sure that there are others who have more mechanical and technical experience than me. ( Probably more debt on the credit card as well). Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

@D.A.
From what i can tell from their website and other quick research ive done, the boosterplug installs between the  intake air sensor and the ecu. it changes the operation range of the bike, and likely will allow it to get into closed loop fueling, but it will take much longer than stock. this shouldnt cause any issues with the cooling system as there is a separate sensor for that, however it could cause some plug fouling because you will be running rich, especially on higher temp days. 
I would highly recommend getting either an ECU flash, or a PCV with a Dyno tune specific to your engine mods. 

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I live in Miami where right now its 97 degrees outside and has been like that for over a month. I use engine ice. I have not had any issues with overheating or plugs fouling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scat2me said:

I bought my 2017 FZ07 New. It had 7 miles. I was lucky I got a GREAT deal. I bought the Bike for$5500. with a 5 year warranty.( someone won it in a raffle and didn't ride).

...I am not a racer or someone that wants to spend a lot of $$ modding a bike I use for pleasure. I read how people buy a bike that is stock and before they get it home they have decided that they have to change EVERYTHING. I don't understand that philosophy but to each his own.

@scat2me: I admire your grit! You are definitely swimming against the current by touting BoosterPlug on a forum where popular opinion favors the ECU flash and other fuel remapping approaches.

Also, congratulations on finding such an incredible deal on your bike. I love hearing stories like that!

In regards to FZ07 mods, I agree with your sentiments. If I were racing my bike in the Twins Cup and was restricted to a certain displacement, I'd no doubt want to squeeze as much power out of the motor as possible. Otherwise, rather than pour a few thousand dollars into performance and suspension upgrades, I'd probably just dump the FZ-07 and buy an MT-10.

15 hours ago, stickshift said:

... I use a PCV with exhaust & intake mods (very happy with it), but to resolve your issues I'd go with an ecu tune to disable injector cut at zero throttle & smooth the the acceleration fueling.

7 hours ago, sorkyah said:

@D.A.
...the boosterplug ... changes the operation range of the bike, and likely will allow it to get into closed loop fueling, but it will take much longer than stock. this shouldnt cause any issues with the cooling system as there is a separate sensor for that, however it could cause some plug fouling because you will be running rich, especially on higher temp days. 
I would highly recommend getting either an ECU flash, or a PCV with a Dyno tune specific to your engine mods. 

@stickshift and @sorkyah:

Thank you both for the input! I may well end up taking your advice. But at this point I am still intrigued by BoosterPlug's approach.

They have the clearest explanation I have read regarding the difference between Open Loop and Closed Loop (as well as how their device modifies fueling) on their HOW DOES THE BOOSTERPLUG WORK page. ( https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-24.html )

From what I understand about fuel injection in general, when you are cruising down the road at a relatively constant RPM and throttle opening, the motorcycle is in Closed Loop mode, which means it is using readings from the O2 sensor in the exhaust system to fine tune the air/fuel ratio so it complies with the factory's lean fuel map. But when you twist the throttle the bike goes into Open Loop mode, temporarily ignoring feedback from the O2 sensor.
It is only at this juncture the BoosterPlug takes effect, tricking the ECU into adding extra fuel and thereby eliminating the twitchiness. Once you level off throttle-wise, the bike goes back into Closed Loop and ignores any input from the BoosterPlug. So, most of the time, the device has no impact on the bike's operation and in theory shouldn’t cause any adverse longterm consequences. 

And because it only kicks in when most needed it sounds like it would be more adaptive to real-time rider inputs than a complete remapping, which would be fixed for any particular RPM/throttle position combination.

If I were upgrading the exhaust and air intake systems I can understand why a comprehensive fuel remapping would be warranted. But since I plan to stick with the stock exhaust and airbox, the simplistic BoosterPlug approach seems like a very logical alternative.

I am hardly an expert, though, and am therefore open to all input from those more knowledgeable about the topic. So please feel free to add your voice!

Edited by D.A.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
On 7/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, scat2me said:

I rode it home from the dealership and noticed the "Twitchyness" immediately. The ride home was about 40 miles. Since the bike was new and I hadn't ridden in many years I gave it about 2 months. It didn't improve. Before buying the FZ07 I was looking at the Ducati Scrambler. That's what I really wanted. The Ducati has the same throttle issue. The Scrambler forum is where I first read about the Booster plug. I joined this forum and read all the posts and mods that users were "upgrading" to. I decided on the Booster plug and have no complaints. It does what it says it will do. Having said that...I am not a racer or someone that wants to spend a lot of $$ modding a bike I use for pleasure. I read how people buy a bike that is stock and before they get it home they have decided that they have to change EVERYTHING. I don't understand that philosophy but to each his own. With the booster I average 45 MPG.  Good luck. I am sure that there are others who have more mechanical and technical experience than me. ( Probably more debt on the credit card as well). Good luck

Great info.  One question: what was your average MPG before you installed the Booster Plug?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

To be honest I don't remember. I installed the plug after 2 months so I had less than 300 miles on the bike. I guess I should have kept track of it. I figure 45 mpg is pretty good. Especially now with gas at $2.07 a gallon.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Not familiar with the Booster plug. I started with the EJK unit but didnt really want to keep messing/guessing around with settings so now I use the Hordpower air filter, Yoshi r77 exhaust and his custom mapping loaded onto the PC-V. Performance wise its a very noticeable difference, the engine braking is still pretty strong but overall acceleration is much smoother and it just keeps pulling down the highway...plus IMO it looks pretty neat and opens up the side profile of the bike while ditching that hideous clunky looking airbox. 

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

1 hour ago, Mr.Puss said:

... I use the Hordpower air filter, Yoshi r77 exhaust and his custom mapping loaded onto the PC-V. Performance wise its a very noticeable difference, the engine braking is still pretty strong but overall acceleration is much smoother... 

Does this configuration eliminate the snatchy, off/on jerkiness the stock bike has when going from closed throttle to the throttle being barely open?

If so, can you describe how the change was achieved? Was the air/fuel ratio made richer throughout this narrow range or was the map curve smoothed out so it transitions more gradually from no throttle to a little bit of throttle?

Thx!

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, D.A. said:

Does this configuration eliminate the snatchy, off/on jerkiness the stock bike has when going from closed throttle to the throttle being barely open?

If so, can you describe how the change was achieved? Was the air/fuel ratio made richer throughout this narrow range or was the map curve smoothed out so it transitions more gradually from no throttle to a little bit of throttle?

Thx!

Its rather subjective I suppose. I feather the clutch and the throttle feels smooth is all I can say, I wish I could give you a concrete answer. I installed this setup almost from the get-go and the mapping/dyno was entirely done by the guys at Hordpower and I was off the the races so to speak.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 2 weeks later...

I too installed the plug and the difference is noticable, throttle is much smoother at very small wrist movement inputs but i wondered if its sufficient for dna stage 2 air intake and akra ti system? Do i still need an updated ecu map? Because as i saw at boosterplug site, the added fuel percentage (6% i think) goes across whole rpm range. 

• 5 months later...
Dennis.Halmstad

@D.A.

Since we have the same opinion on the throttle response and twitchiness, did you try the boosterplug?

I have ordered one thinking that its worth a try, but weather conditions here in Sweden wont let me have any test rides for a couple of months..... :)