The MT-07 Forum

Track Day #2+3

fzar

• Premium Member

I just bit the bullet and signed up for my second track day this weekend at Hallett. I feel I have to have something, and I'll be in stringent accordance with covid-19 guidelines. I've almost lost my mind since March, I never went to the track on March 7-8th for my boys football (soccer) game. I couldn't attend April as it was closed. I didn't attend May as I felt it wasn't right.The (too soon) feeling as a family member was sick.  And June I spent 8 days in a car driving to and from VA. 2 times as my Mother-in-Law was seriously ill. She passed.

I have nothing really set-up other than a confirmation for the weekend at the track and my equipment. I was always thinking of a suspension shake- down and testing different reb-comp settings, but I'm kinda just Like "Yeah F##k It" Get some laps in. CCW Saturday, CW Sunday.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
cornerslider

It's been a tough year.... Enjoy your track-time!!!!!  I feel it will get worse, before it gets better. "Enjoy today, as tomorrow is promised to know one"........

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Go to the track and turn some laps, clear your head and enjoy. 

Over the years I’ve learned to do what you can when you can. 

Ed 

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Have fun and get some laps in.  I'm going to NYST Sunday.  Only my 2nd this year.

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Anyone have a recommendation for tire pressure for Dunlop Q4’s F/R at 92-94F air temp. 

14 hours ago, fzar said:

Anyone have a recommendation for tire pressure for Dunlop Q4’s F/R at 92-94F air temp. 

Here ya go, 

1105.thumb.jpeg.f5c20bcf7e7882a9dca6d2bb1b3553da.jpeg

Hot off the back o the toolbox.

Cold meaning cold morning tire out of the pit pressure, Hot meaning right as you come off the track pressure. You'll need to experiment a little and go out a couple pounds less than you want to come in at as the tire will heat during use on the track and the pressure will rise. You should feel confident in the traction with little monkey bidness created by the tires and they should look and feel a bit rougher/hotter than same tires used on the street. I hope this makes sense.

Have a great time. And pics or it...

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Yeah it makes complete sense. Thanks. The action photographer is back. The Q4’s are getting a shakedown like no other tire that has been under me. I have a spare almost everything other than a motor, shock, forks. And a reminder for safety purposes no spare rider. I just don’t want to go out for the weekend to tow it home due to a lever or handle bar or foot peg after 2nd session Saturday morning. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Great weekend on the track last week. Its a workout in the high temps, but well worth it, tbh I didn't feel it so much when riding just at the grid and in the pits I was swamped. The first day I was ripping around (ccw) got moved to intermediate. The second day it was reversed and we rode (cw) totally different ball game, man it messe's with your brain for a few laps. I was very happy and satisfied I went, well worth it.

4C5F51FC-1E9A-4CD4-BF5A-5C4B2D6ACA78.jpeg

• Like 5

• Premium Member
cornerslider

How did you like the Q4's????

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Looks like he liked it, he got rid of the shameless 'Sportmax' on the side of the tire, lol.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

How did you like the Q4's????

I was really impressed, although I have nothing to compare to, as this was my first track day with decent suspension. I was running as hard as I felt safe after feeling out the conditions. It was hot AF and I didn't want to be going wild, 2 days to get a good feel for it. Both days 30F/29R.

This set of Q4's I scrubbed them in on a familiar road nearby my house before I tracked them and the 60 vs. 55 is very noticable with turn-in and lean compared to the Q3+ I run on the street. As you can see the tire out performed me, as I knew it would. I got 250 miles in over the 2 days, I had zero coaching, I didn't ask for any as they were busy with everyone else.. I did have a coach who ran me hard (for me) the first track day I did last november. I passed him and he took it as a dog-fight (he was waiting for me) and we started in my mind anyway ripping and racing each other. It was a blast. 

Some other guy with a FZ-07 pulled into the same pit shed as me and he dropped his bike on saturday and bent a handle bar. He was booked for the weekend , so I knocked on his trailer asked if he was okay, and let him know I have a replacement woodcraft bar if he wants it, he was a bit surprised. He took the offer and went back out after replacing the bar, only to have an issue with one of his rearsets.

The drive home Sunday was the worst feeling ever.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

Looks like he liked it, he got rid of the shameless 'Sportmax' on the side of the tire, lol.

Not quite, got rid of. I got some slagging from more experienced riders about my chicken strips. I made sure to let them know how I felt by passing them. I have bad posture and form on the bike, too much street riding with very little track time and coaching.  The tyre pic was for you @mossrider for the PSI info on the Q4's and pic's or it didn't......

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • fzar changed the title to Track Day #2+3