The MT-07 Forum

Whats your wash routine?

topazsparrow

• Premium Member

I keep it simple and use a 5 gallon bucket filled with hot hot water, a bit of dish soap, a sponge and a cloth for tight areas, wipe dry with micro fiber cloths.

Sometimes plastics polish spray...then take it for a spin to evaporate any water that's hidden away on the interior/engine. I have used Autosol on the headers by wrapping a strip of bath towel wrapped once around and perform a wire saw motion, it works well. 

I never use a hose or pressure washer.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

michigan400

I've always just dry washed my FZ with a rag and some spray on cleaner. I don;t go down gravel roads or really get it that dirty so I've never felt the need to get the hose and soap out for it. I can wash it in 5 minutes with some cleaner and a rag.

My dirtbikes on the other hand,,, I would use a hose to wet out the bike,, then spray the hell out of it (motor and undersides) with simple green and let that soak for about 5-10 minutes (not long enough to dry up) then rinse it off and dry it. I always just used a garden hose with spray nozzle but nerver a power washer.

Then a quick warm up and ride afterwards to evaporate all the moisture and done.

It used to be hand wash w/soap & water or spot cleaning with a mild cleaner but I just received a new, 4000 psi power washer the other day and washed both the bike and truck in about 45 minutes. Sah-weeeet! 😋

• Like 2

Beemer

I have an electric pressure washer with a foam cannon attachment that works pretty well - I'm just careful not to hold it on any one spot for too long so I don't blast water where it's not supposed to go haha.

• Like 1

Auto-Geeks cleaning products.  I remove oil/grease from the rims and rear sprocket with degreaser, then just do a simple wet wipe on everything else.  Plastic restorer really does a great job with brightening up the black plastics and rubber areas.  A Windex wetted towel layed on the wind screen for 10 minutes does a pretty decent job of loosening bugs.  As long as the bike isn't totally trashed, it takes about an hour and 15 minutes.

I just hit 4000 miles and had the bike since Summer 2018 and I think I washed it 2 times. It is dirty with bugs. They are always a pain to get off and seem to cover the bike every time I ride. .  I keep looking at it and saying I really need to wash my bike. Then I get on it and ride it instead. LOL

My last bike I had it for 5 years and never washed (3 years in Garage and maybe 2 years outside with cover).  The MT had it since last April and never washed.  I only ride on a nice day and it's always garage.  

I use Honda Brite (I know) on bikes. Spray it down, let it sit for a few and wipe/rinse off. Works well on glossy finish bikes as well as matte finishes.

topazsparrow

my biggest struggle is cleaning out the nooks and crannys that make the difference between the bike looking 10 years old and brand new

• Like 1

MyHatIsBread

I picked up a pet / bike dryer on Amazon for £45 - blows hot air & variable speed and drys the bike in minutes:  no water marks, no rust, no buggering about with microfibre towels in the nooks and crannies, it's great!

• Thanks 1

I use just regular automotive car wash soap. For the wheels I use purple power or simple green to get the road grime off. Chain I use maxima chain cleaner and a grunge brush makes it look like new.

Finishing I use Maxima SC1 spray for the wheels and the matte plastic parts then wax the painted surfaces and even the headlight lens. Waxing the lens makes the bugs come off easier the next time.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mr.Puss said:

a bit of dish soap

Ahhhggg!!! Dont use dish soap!!! 😟 It breaks down rubbers and plastics!  Also strips off wax and other chemicals you use on rubbers and plastics! Get something like Mothers or something...

Edited by Kyuzo
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Well god damn, thankfully Ive only used it twice. 'Mothers'...Canadian Tire carries it, I'll give that a go, thank you very much!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

It’s a little expensive but it makes my life so easy so I use s100 total cycle cleaner. Prob gonna buy the gallon container on amazon next time.

Clean chain first (maxima chain cleaner, will be trying / switching to kerosene) Then spray s100 everywhere. Hose off. Used to use rags to dry.... now I just use an electric blower to blast the water off.

Periodically (like, once/twice per season) I’ll douse everything in ACF 50 spray to keep it looking nice and make sure rust/salt can go f@#k themselves. If ACF isn’t necessary I’ll just use Honda polish spray since it’s $4 and makes everything shine. 

Its a VERY low effort wash (all spraying, no scrubbing) that produces pretty impressive results.