The MT-07 Forum

New FZ-07 in the works

jake

• Premium Member

Hi,

I just put down a grand on a new still in the box FZ-07 Gr/Bl for the spring. The shop is going to keep it in the box until the spring when I come to pick it up. Sound funny to get a bike now but I got what I thought was a great deal on the bike $7155 out the door.

This is my first bike I tried to get one back in 2001 but could not get approved for a Yamaha Warrior but was approved for a $27,000 2001 Camaro SS lol.

I drive 130 miles a day for work so the idea for me was I needed something to change things up. The mileage justifies getting it too the wife it will cut my $1200 plus gas bill in half.( at least for the months I can ride the bike)

I spent 2 weeks watching videos and blogs of owners of bike and the FZ-O7 seemed to have no bad reviews and the price point to beat all the others too.

I'm looking hard on what things to get for what I'm going to use it for. Windscreen and Seat are big on my list also I've seen some different opinions on those 2 things.

Trying to talk the wife into getting one too, she is open but wants to ride mine first.

Look forward to sharing info.

Cheers!

insert quote here

insert quote here

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

nice work. i too drive far for work....100 miles per day all highway. I'm not looking forward to riding the bike in four lanes of crazy drivesrs at 80mph for 100 miles to be honest. I don't think it's the best bike for highway commuting, but that is my opinion. I think its a bike meant for tearing up the twisties and back roads, and even some city driving. Again, this is my opinion and i do love my bike.

Congrats, and keep posting!

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

I do only about 40 miles a day on the bike to and from work almost all on the highway. I find the bike works great going through traffic. Has no problem keeping up with traffic and still has the power to get me out of potential bad spots.

I do tell new motorcyclist that the money you save in fuel a year will be partly offset at least by what you spent on yearly maintenance. Since if something breaks you can't go down to the cheap autopart store or a salvage yard to get parts. You pretty much have to pay dealership prices to get any parts.  Then also driving 130 miles a day you are looking at a new set of tires and maybe even new chain/sprockets on a yearly basis. Not too mention the upfront cost of buying all of your gear for the different types of weather that can happen when you ride.

Just some food for thought.

• Premium Member

@jake also is your gas bill 1200 per month currently? if so, what are you driving? I drive 100 per day and my gas bill is like 35 per week or 140 per month. i drive an old toyota celica back and forth. I couldnt imagine it even being possible for 1 vehicle to cost 1200 per month in gas? I would have to drive literally like 1200 miles a day to get that lol

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

I drive 120 per day and spend about $42-45 per week on gas. I would add a windscreen and this bad boy will be ready to go. I switched from a cruiser and was skeptical at first but this bike is great. I want to add a louder exhaust for additional safety but I love this bike!! In addition, learn how to adjust the chain as you will have to adjust every couple weeks. Good luck and welcome to the group

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome jake! With a few modifications the 07 is perfect for just about any riding situation. Glad to hear your wife rides too. (She would love one!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
I drive 120 per day and spend about $42-45 per week on gas. I would add a windscreen and this bad boy will be ready to go. I switched from a cruiser and was skeptical at first but this bike is great. I want to add a louder exhaust for additional safety but I love this bike!! In addition, learn how to adjust the chain as you will have to adjust every couple weeks. Good luck and welcome to the group
I had to adjust my chain once at about 200 miles. It has been fine since and I have close to 1300 miles now. If you are really adjusting yours every couple of weeks I would be worried. Are you torquing it to the correct value?

Actually, I got it adjusted at the 600 mile service because I didn't have a stand yet. Although, the manual asks for the chain to be adjusted every 600 miles I'm at 1500 and I checked it last night and it's well within specs. In theory, I would need to adjust every weekend after riding 600 a week but so far it's been holding up fine.

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the comments,

So to answer a few questions...
$600 a month not 1200 in gas sorry :(

My daily driver is a 2013 Subaru forester and average 25 mpg I use a little over 6 gallons a day so 20 to 30 bucks a day in gas (depending on price of gas of course). Yeah in hindsight I should have got the impreza 36 mpg. So yeah on average I spend 600 a month in gas. But the Forester with winter tires is a tank and has been worth it.

fastfredyb
"I drive 120 per day and spend about $42-45 per week on gas. I would add a windscreen and this bad boy will be ready to go. I switched from a cruiser and was skeptical at first but this bike is great. I want to add a louder exhaust for additional safety but I love this bike!! In addition, learn how to adjust the chain as you will have to adjust every couple weeks. Good luck and welcome to the group"

This is exactly what I wanted to hear,

I figure if I can just cut my gas cost in half the bike will pay for its self. I also wanted a change and to have a little fun on my commute. I can take the Highway or back roads to work its just the back roads will add 15 to 20 to the commute but if I'm having fun it will be worth it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Welcome! 130/day is pretty gnarly. I used to commute 90/day until I moved and got a job that cut down to 55/day.

You will definitely feel the increase in MPG and the less spending on gas. You'll just probably need to visit a gas station every other day.  8-)  But that isn't that big of a deal when you're saving so much, right?

OH - And I ride 5 days/week all year for work. This thing can definitely handle the highway. You shouldn't have any doubts of that. 

Don't forget to post pics once you do get that thing out of the box! :)

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived