The MT-07 Forum

Anyone not using a C-clamp and a piece of wood?

DewMan

• Premium Member

For pushing motorcycle brake caliper pistons?

Is there a dedicated tool worth buying to replace the C-clamp method?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I use my hands. And sometimes the old pad + c clamp if its stiff. Or channel locks with padding. 

On cars where both rotor and pad are getting replaced, I use a pry bar to move pistons back before pulling caliper.

image.thumb.png.16f4d93f409d2b62e4bcc2a59b771441.png

What about this thing?

Edited by geophb

I used a couple C clamps, but next time I'll use a couple smaller Quick Grip clamps, that way I can use them for wood projects and other stuff.

one-handed-mini-bar-clamps-82.jpg

• Like 1

On motorcycles I use my hands, hasn’t been hard to compress back. Cars I use the c-clamp and wood UNLESS the calipers twist in via a special pin tool that fits on a 3/8ths socket. I found that out the hard way.

Just twist the caliper agents the disc after removing the mount bolts, then make sure you don't touch the brake lever.

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. 

Looks like most solutions are variation of the C-clamp and wood for those stubborn piston where hand pushing isn't sufficient.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Thanks for all the responses guys. 

Looks like most solutions are variation of the C-clamp and wood for those stubborn piston where hand pushing isn't sufficient.

What you want to do is use the old brake pads, and use a flat head to push it back. Some leverage on the bracket might be needed or if you get a skinny enough one that can go all the way, just pull from both ends of the flat head.

• Like 1

If your using clamps to push in caliper pistons might be time to rebuild.  They should in pretty easy.

Might want to pull the calipers and clean them with simple green and rinse with water.  Just takes a second and an old tooth brush.

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

I almost always get away with a flat screwdriver and the caliper still mounted unless the caliper is in poor condition. Sometimes on some applications I remove one pad from the caliper and reinstall to push the piston if need for a spot to get a bite with the screwdriver or pry bar. Also have a cheap Amazon set for the twist in type calipers.