The MT-07 Forum

Air filter

tavisb

• Global Moderator

I'm used to dirt bikes and cleaning my air filter after every few rides. The interval on this bike seems really long to me. Ive got the bike apart to pull the ECU. Would you keep running this one or change it out while I'm in there? 3k miles on it btw.

IMG_20200715_072039.jpg

Comparing to dirt bikes isn't very fair.  Dirt bikes see A LOT of well,  dirt.  dust and sand too, etc. A street bike will never see that amount of grit, for the most part anyway. 

The other pointer is that the fz/mt 07 has a paper filter, where dirt bikes have a foam filter with oil. Since paper filters use the media to filter instead of the oil to catch particles, they can last significantly longer.  

That said its not hurting anything replacing it sooner.  3k is way too soon though.  I would push it to atleast 10-15k miles, if its not dirty/plugged. 

Cars are upwards of 30-50k miles by the way.

• Like 3

FZ07R WaNaB
3 hours ago, tavisb said:

I'm used to dirt bikes and cleaning my air filter after every few rides. The interval on this bike seems really long to me. Ive got the bike apart to pull the ECU. Would you keep running this one or change it out while I'm in there? 3k miles on it btw.

FWIW, I found that my bike was asking me to change my plugs at 8,000 miles - I waited until 9,000. When I say "asking me", that is when I started to notice a wee little bit of hesitation which slowly became more noticable leading me to change them at 9K. My point is that seems to me like a perfect time to do the air filter too. Doing the plugs and filter at the same time will give you the max refresh of your motor. BTW, my FZ ran noticably better with the new plugs - defintely more snap to it.

That would work the same if you have a cleanable filter such as a K&N or MWR too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So I have a question. I have 12,000 miles on my bike. I decided to tear into it and check the air filter. Can the oem filters be washed with water n soap?  Or should I just replace 

20210723_115059.jpg

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Sean said:

So I have a question. I have 12,000 miles on my bike. I decided to tear into it and check the air filter. Can the oem filters be washed with water n soap?  Or should I just replace 

20210723_115059.jpg

You cannot clean the stock filter.  A new one is $24 so it is not too expensive to replace.