The MT-07 Forum

Purchasing Help

WeTrolling

I plan to buy me a MT-07 here very soon so I've been scouting the dealers in my area. I found a place with some 2018 and 2019 stock left over with some decent prices. With my research is seems some dealers lower the price on X bike but then charge some 1200-2000 fee for handling a motorcycle pre sale. Is this normal? What would you recommend is a acceptable price for a brand new MT-07 out the door. 

An honest dealer will give you a price with reasonable freight and prep.  No matter what anyone may tell you, those bikes do not show up on a truck for free and are not built out of the crate and prepped for free, and those two costs are not figured into the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).   That said, the only number you care about is the bottom line.   Go on line shop all over the place, but give the final opportunity to the dealership where you really would like to buy.  Make a fair offer, they must be worth a bit more than the shysters who suckered you with a low price then jacked it up higher than anyone else. 

I paid more for my bike than if I did a bit of shopping, because I wanted to buy from the small dealership where I get a good deal on the parts I buy for my sideline business.  I spend a couple grand a year for the past ten years and they even stock inventory in quantities so when I call and ask for thirty of an exhaust nut, (special allen nut used on SRs) they have them in stock and can send them out same or next day.  

I could have probably gone to the dealer where they bought the 2018 bike and gotten a better price than I paid, but I didn't.   I was a week late on the 2018 they had on the floor, so to get it from them they had to source it and pick it up.  So what.  I'm supporting a shop I like and I know in the long run it will pay off too.   Already got a bit of break on some stuff with my Zuma 125 dealing with the fuel pump issues.

Sometimes price isn't everything.  Figure what is the best all around.  

Yakko Warner

The above link will show you dealer inventory in your area.  The more inventory, the more eager dealers should be to sell you your bike.

Out the door pricing is the number you care about.  That is dealer fees plus the government fees (tax, license, and registration).

If you can wait until after November, manufacturers typically have winter incentives (rebates) to help clear inventory for next year's models.  OTOH coronavirus has changed everything, so I don't know how much inventory there is in your area.  Out near Sacramento, CA there looks to be lots of inventory.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
LivingADream13

Hey! Im brand new here (as a member) and I've been keeping an eye on them for the past few months (both private party and dealer). Im looking to finally buy one myself =). Private party on a 2018/2019 model seems to average 6k.  I recently found one for 5k after negotiations ( 2018/1,300 miles ) but its not my color lol. A dealer seems to be averaging 7k listing with the dealer fees on top. I have been looking nationwide. Hope this helps and nice to meet ya!

~ edit ~ oops, did not realize this was an older topic.

Edited by LivingADream13

That's OK, @LivingADream13 no big deal.  It's still a relevant topic.  Here's my story:

Last October I decided to get an MT-07.  The used ones at the time were pretty expensive.  Many were around $6,500.  A new 2020 started to look attractive with the advertised price of $7,600, so I emailed a few dealers that were advertising on FB with the question "If I come in with my checkbook, what's the out-the-door price?" 

I was just trying to find out what the number was.  I got several automatically generated emails that thanked me and said I'd be referred to an expert sales technician for immediate attention, but only one actually answered me.  The sales person from that dealer phoned me and told me the price was $8,900.  I asked if there was room to come down, and she asked "If we agree on a price, will you come in today with a deposit?"  I told her that if we agree on a price I'll come in and write a check for the full amount.  She said she'd call back in a few minutes.  When she did, the price was $8,150.  I knew the state sales tax and title/reg fees, so that that point they weren't charging much for the delivery, prep, etc., so I didn't go any farther with trying to beat them down.  My wife and I drove down to Durham, I paid, and rode home on the MT. 

teal_deer.jpeg.d9e2380661a706994e623b5ff72730fb.jpeg

I had gone about a mile and knew that it was the nicest motorcycle I've owned.  It's not the fastest, but it's plenty fast.  It's not the lightest I have, but it's the lightest that has the kind of performance it has.  It is the best handling of any I've owned.  It seems to do what I ask it to with minimal input on my part.  The riding position is one that I can be comfortable with for long rides. I've told friends that it seems like Yamaha has had someone following me around for a few years, learning exactly what I want in a motorcycle, and put that into the 07.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 3

On 7/14/2020 at 11:39 PM, Yakko Warner said:

The above link will show you dealer inventory in your area.

It's interesting that for me it returns only 2020 motorcycles.  When I start over and put in 2021, no dealers show up.

1 hour ago, timjh said:

It's easy to change the color...

31 minutes ago, LivingADream13 said:

@timjh I figured it would  be a pain to repaint the rims lol. But the more I look, that 5k price tag for 1300 miles is looking mighty fine.

I just learn to love a color when the price is right. 

• Like 1

fivepointnine

My local dealer wanted about $6100 OTD for a MT03 for my wife (yes, that is like 1500 for setup, tax/title, freight) and they would not budge on the price, their excuse was because they did not have one in stock.  I called a mom and pop Yamaha dealer about an hour and a half away and worked a deal for $5300 OTD.  They did not have one in stock either, but they drove up with a trailer to the Yamaha warehouse near Atlanta and picked it up (3 hours away) and texted me pics of them pulling it out of the crate, it was pretty cool.

Moral of the story is shop around and ask for the quotes in writing (Capitol cycles in Macon did the old bait and switch on an R3, told me $5k OTD over the phone, drove 3 hours there and they told us $5800, so that was a wasted day).

Edited by fivepointnine
  • Like 1

I've always had good luck with Craig's list on late model bikes. There's tons of fz07's out there, they're very popular bikes and you can usually find one already set upwith pipes, etc., saving you more $$, not to mention the 'dealer prep', destination, etc. Let someone else take the 'hit' for the extra charges. If you don't know bikes, bring someone who does, even if you have to pony up some cash for the mechanic's opinion and expertise.  If you look at low mile bikes, odds are real good that it'll be in good shape. Pay attention to oil level, color, smell, etc.

fivepointnine
2 hours ago, emmett said:

I've always had good luck with Craig's list on late model bikes. There's tons of fz07's out there, they're very popular bikes and you can usually find one already set upwith pipes, etc., saving you more $$, not to mention the 'dealer prep', destination, etc. Let someone else take the 'hit' for the extra charges. If you don't know bikes, bring someone who does, even if you have to pony up some cash for the mechanic's opinion and expertise.  If you look at low mile bikes, odds are real good that it'll be in good shape. Pay attention to oil level, color, smell, etc.

I have found that CL is dead these days.  Once they started charging for vehicle ads everyone migrated to FB marketplace.  All you will find on CL in my region (coastal SE) is used car and bike dealers advertising the same 5 vehicles over and over again, really zero private party sellers anymore.

• Like 2

firstyammerha

my experience with the online marketers like cycletrader, craigslist and letgo has been they're crowded with gamers and dreamers wanting more pictures posted and then dropping out of the inquiry without a thanks or reason for discontinuing the inquiry.

LivingADream13
On 2/24/2021 at 11:01 PM, fivepointnine said:

I have found that CL is dead these days.  Once they started charging for vehicle ads everyone migrated to FB marketplace.  All you will find on CL in my region (coastal SE) is used car and bike dealers advertising the same 5 vehicles over and over again, really zero private party sellers anymore.

I concur and I have searched all over the west coast including Nevada, Colorado, & Utah.

Edited by LivingADream13

LivingADream13

Can anyone give me some advice on wether or not I should wait for a better deal? Ive been itching to ride and I currently have the option between 2018 w/ 1300 miles and toce exhaust for 5k but lives 12hrs but from me or 2018 w/ 6000 miles bone stock for 5.5k but lives next to me. assume both bikes are maintained the same, im just curious if buying the one for 5.5 is over priced. Any feedback appreciated!

edit~ I've been searching for months everywhere and these are by far the 2 best deals I have found.

Edited by LivingADream13

On 2/27/2021 at 2:05 AM, LivingADream13 said:

but lives 12hrs but from me

Be aware that there are some sellers who after agreeing on a price by phone, when they find out how far you're coming from, will let you get far from home, then call to tell you someone else just gave them a better offer.  It's a ploy to try to force you into paying more.

A friend had that happen.  He told the guy that they had a deal, and that he was going to finish the drive, and when he got there he was going to take the motorcycle, or something else of equal or greater value.  The guy was waiting with the bike in the driveway when he arrived and the deal was made as agreed.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Be aware that there are some sellers who after agreeing on a price by phone, when they find out how far you're coming from, will let you get far from home, then call to tell you someone else just gave them a better offer.  It's a ploy to try to force you into paying more.

Oldest trick in the book - and it does still happen!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put on your travelin' shoes and take the scenic route.  When you considet the cost of the exhaust, fewer miles and $500 less cost...you are left with the question, "Is the ride worth ~$1400?"  Only you can answer that.  On the other hand, if you are willing to pay a little more for option #2, then you can customize the way you like.  In the end you will havea great bike...so good luck and feel assured that whatever decision you make you won't regret it.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd share my experience with buying "new".... I've been buying bikes from the same dealer/salesperson for about 30 years. This dealer is just outside a largely populated metro area by about an hour. I can call him anytime for a price quote (which most of the time is @ or slightly lower than MSRP). He gives me that price over the phone, and I know will be "+tax/title/license".... There has never been, nor will there ever be "Freight & Dealer prep". That is just the way they do business. They are the cheapest, they know it, and so do you! They won't even "toss in" a t-shirt, but you will the BEST price in the area. I've bought my last 4-5 bikes over the phone from them. I don't even have to give them a deposit, he just asks "When do you want to pick it up?" Mind you, I have never bought a single part from this dealer, nor have I ever had them do service on anything I own. He just says "Tell your friends"- which I do 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

LivingADream13
21 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd share my experience with buying "new".... I've been buying bikes from the same dealer/salesperson for about 30 years. This dealer is just outside a largely populated metro area by about an hour. I can call him anytime for a price quote (which most of the time is @ or slightly lower than MSRP). He gives me that price over the phone, and I know will be "+tax/title/license".... There has never been, nor will there ever be "Freight & Dealer prep". That is just the way they do business. They are the cheapest, they know it, and so do you! They won't even "toss in" a t-shirt, but you will the BEST price in the area. I've bought my last 4-5 bikes over the phone from them. I don't even have to give them a deposit, he just asks "When do you want to pick it up?" Mind you, I have never bought a single part from this dealer, nor have I ever had them do service on anything I own. He just says "Tell your friends"- which I do 😎-

Thats awesome! You should give us his dealer info haha

• Premium Member
cornerslider
35 minutes ago, LivingADream13 said:

Thats awesome! You should give us his dealer info haha

I'm happy to!!! "Larson's Cycle" in Cambridge, MN. They've been in the business for well over 50 years-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 months later...

Just purchased a 2018 model used today.  It has 167 miles on the odometer and paid 6K.  In perfect condition.  Im happy and the seller was happy.  So, a good deal was made!

• Like 1