The MT-07 Forum

Yet another MT-07 as a first ever bike thread

seven

Hey everyone, I have researching various beginner bikes and have gone through a whole process that I will quickly summarize here first. I am a new rider and all I have for motorcycle experience is the 20 hour motorcycle training course I just took. The used marked in Winnipeg sucks and people seem to want almost new prices for very used equipment. Because the used marked seems to suck and thinking ahead to buying a starter bike only to upgrade later really isn't in the cards as I am not sure if a bike will sell, potentially leaving me unable to upgrade. Further to that my wife and I agree that she will require a new vehicle in the next 4 or 5 years have 2 bikes is not an option. That brought me to thinking I could get something that would be an okay beginners bike but will also grow with me. Enter the MT-07.

Until getting to this forum I was watching all that I could on reviews of the MT-07 on YouTube and in particular found Yammie Noob who raved about the FZ-07/MT-07 and did say that it would be a fine beginner bike. Yes he said it was torquey and you needed to respect it but said that the power was nice and smooth. I really like the MT-07, especially that it is so light which I think is very important in a beginner bike. And I like the idea of a torquey engine compared to one that you have to wring its neck.

So I was convinced this was the bike for me but came across this forum and have been reading plenty of stuff that talks about some erratic throttle and the need for a tune and of course I am questioning my decision. People are talking about the 2WDW tune and I assume like any ECU flashing, if I do this I am going to void at least some of my factory warranty...and I was planning on getting the extended warranty to 5 years. 

Is there a piggyback system that could be used to not void the warranty that would smooth out the throttle and possibly make this bike beginner friendly? Can one load a low power tune in, like some car tunes can include a valet tune, so you have limited power to learn on?

Shawn

Airbornedeth

Welcome, Shawn. 

I use the Dobeck EJK. It smooths out the throttle response and took a lot of the engine braking away, which at some points before the EJK would be significant enough to alter handling and cause some minor panic to set in. Respect any bike, don't get pressured into doing hooligan stuff (at least until you have gained experience and are very comfortable riding), and just enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

the mt07 has a very nice throttle. tip: grip the throttle at the end and only use your thumb, index and middle fingers to turn it. the other two fingers can sit on the bar end.

(this works 2fold coz its easier to turn the bars holding onto the ends and you get fine motor control in your hand using this technique) just coz the grip is palm width doesnt mean you must hold it like a monkey bar or dumbell

RIP all the riders who have died gripping the bars like a monkey

Edited by 00RAH
  • Like 1

I appreciate the responses. I will look into the Dobeck EJK as it looks promising.

Does anyone know if any of the flash tuners allow you to flash back to stock and if the dealership can detect if a flash occurred? I want to be clear that the ONLY reason to flash would be to get smoother throttle and NOT more power. I fully believe in pay-to-play and if you are looking to get more power from an engine and you tune it then you are on the hook. This sort of thing I see as benign and shouldn't be grounds for refusal of some sort of engine warranty.

• Premium Member

I'd take any advice from YammieNoob as suspect considering his history of riding wrecklessly.

The FZ-07 can be a fine beginner bike if you are mature enough to show wrist restraint on the the throttle. If you're one of those "I just can't help myself" type of riders... get a Honda Rebel to start with. I'm serious. if not treated with respect the MT-07 can and will bite you.

An ECU flash either by  2WDW or another trusted proffesional is a one and done fix for many shortcoming of the EPA requirements that , in my opinion, make the bike more dangerous due to the fuel shut off on closing throttle make it very choppy which can unsettle the bike in a corner if not carefully easing off the throttle if needed. If you read through the many "It's not working right" EJK threads. you can save yourself a lot of headaches by getting a flash. EJK can do a lot for you but you have to know what you're doing. 

A correctly done ECU flash will not void your warranty.

All this being said, I still strongly recommend getting a "beginner" bike first especially with your lack of experience.  Unless you have money to burn which it doesn't appear that you do.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@DewMan Thanks for this. Not words I really wanted to hear of course. LOL. I mean I believe I am mature enough to want to show restraint, however as you elude to, my experience and ability may not necessarily back up the intention. 

• Like 1

Just a point of clarification, is there any difference in the throttle mapping between model years. I am specifically looking at a 2019 MT-07

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, seven said:

Just a point of clarification, is there any difference in the throttle mapping between model years. I am specifically looking at a 2019 MT-07

Not to my knowledge. All model years are hobbled due to the same EPA requirements.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

topazsparrow
31 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Not to my knowledge. All model years are hobbled due to the same EPA requirements.

I've never ridden an FZ-07 with bad throttle response or mappings.

I think people are blowing it out of proportion a bit and confusing throttle mapping with the heavy engine braking when rolling off throttle. As mentioned, Injector cut for emissions is the reason for that nonsense.

As far as stock bikes go the FZ-07 / MT-07 has one of the most direct and responsive throttles on the market right now. Go ride any other Japanese bike with an electronic TB and you'll know what bad throttle mapping really is.

The engine braking is fixed with a tune, but new riders are not going to have a bad time with it. They're not typically railing the bike around corners so hard that engine braking at the wrong time will be the tipping point that breaks your traction.

Just my 2 cents, but I also think that almost all modern bikes are suitable for new riders provided they have self control and recognize that you WILL drop your bike at some point if you have zero previous 2 wheel experience.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, topazsparrow said:

I've never ridden an FZ-07 with bad throttle response or mappings.

I think people are blowing it out of proportion a bit and confusing throttle mapping with the heavy engine braking off throttle due to the injector cut.

As far as stock bikes go the FZ-07 / MT-07 has one of the most direct and responsive throttles on the market right now. Go ride any other japanese bike with an electronic TB and you'll know what bad throttle mapping really is.

The engine braking is fixed with a tune, but new riders are not going to have a bad time with it. They're not typically railing the bike around corners so hard that engine braking at the wrong time will be the tipping point that breaks your traction.

Just my 2 cents, but I also think that almost all modern bikes are suitable for new riders provided they have self control and recognize that you WILL drop your bike at some point if you have zero previous 2 wheel experience.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. 

I'm only giving you my opinion of when I first got the FZ-07. The off-throttle fuel cut-off scared me with how it unsettled the bike more than once. And this was after 60k miles on previously owned motorcycles, with the caveat of just coming off of a 20 year break from riding.  ✌️

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I fully understand that however I decide that this is my decision and I appreciate all the comments. It sounds like a tune on the bike and some mature mentality and plenty of low speed practicing and gradual increase in pushing my driving abilities could be a workable plan.

I am curious what you guys might think are good starter bikes that also have some longer term appeal.

topazsparrow
19 minutes ago, seven said:

I fully understand that however I decide that this is my decision and I appreciate all the comments. It sounds like a tune on the bike and some mature mentality and plenty of low speed practicing and gradual increase in pushing my driving abilities could be a workable plan.

I am curious what you guys might think are good starter bikes that also have some longer term appeal.

CB650 would be a smoother riding bike engine wise, but still have lots of room to grow into. The bottom end isn't as punchy also.

The SV650 falls somewhere between the 07 and the cb650, more punchy than the 650 but still a more linear and smooth power delivery.

My 07 was my first bike and I had very little riding experience previously (practically non-existent) other than the MSF course - so I was in a similar position. The only thing I had going for me was the fact I had been driving a manual car since I was about 15 - not that this translates to riding, but the concept of a clutch and shifting gears was something I was comfortable with. I did a lot of the research you did and wound up getting an 07 after feeling like it was beginner friendly enough with room to grow into. Plus I felt like I was a little big for a 300 class bike (but then the ninja 400 came out and had me second guessing everything haha - I was torn between the ninja 400, 650, sv650 and 07 - the honda CBR650 was a little out of my price range for a first bike). 

What everyone here says is correct - it really comes down to respect. The bike has plenty of torque and if you don't respect the throttle or aren't quite smooth with taking off from a stop...you might get thrown from the bike (which is true for a lot of bikes I think). If you respect the bikes power and ride your own ride, you'll be fine. Add some empty parking lot practice and some slow speed stuff and you'll feel your confidence grow. 

I waited about a year before I got a tune and put an exhaust on and I'm glad I did. It gave me time to learn what I was capable of. Now all I want to do is rev the bike out because it sounds so good and I don't know if I would have had that same level of restraint back then. 

When it comes down to it, no one can tell you what the perfect starter bike is FOR YOU - it's really what you feel comfortable on and ensuring you don't get in over your head. Ride your ride, at your pace and you'll be fine. Whichever direction you choose, welcome to the club!

• Like 2

Hey Seven,

Looks like you are researching way deeper than I did before getting your first bike. I just started this year and purchased the FZ as a first ever bike. for me it was a little simpler: 
I made the decision based on the amount of good reviews on YouTube, recommendation from friends and other riders I’ve met, reasonable price, good resale value and large online/ local community of owners. 

when it comes to the small details like the throttle mapping, I didn’t sweat it because I have no baseline motorcycle experience. During the MSF course I rode a 1980 Honda rebel. Not much to compare. More than the throttle mapping, the biggest complaint is the soft suspension. It hasn’t been a problem for me yet. The bike is priced well enough that owners have room in the budget to do whatever your heart desires.  

moral: the only thing you should be second guessing is what color to get. 

• Like 1

I have the XSR 700, similar bike.  The chassis and brakes will definitely be good for a new rider, great if it is the ABS model.  The front brakes are great.  I am a two/three finger brake-er.  I rode trials when a new rider and learned to throttle and brake control simultaneously and it just carried on to the street.   I know the trainers don't like that, but brakes are so darn good a full four finger grip isn't necessary.  

The power, on the other hand, is purely as dangerous as a rider makes it.   I still find the throttle a bit twitchy when I jump on the bike after some time off, but only for a short time.  I don't ride my bike like I stole it, I ride it like I respect it.  I'm a 5-10 mph over the limit rider and try to find the route with the most curves.  But I still find the bike easy to ride calmly.  

What would be interesting is if the Euro throttle limiter plate could be installed on the bike to back it off a shade.   I don't know, could be interesting.   This is the kind of area where even bikes like the 650s and 700s could use the three riding mode systems.  It can't be that costly to put them in the electronics.  Then a new rider could run the lower level to start and the experienced rider might find the lower and middle levels to be useful in some conditions like loose gravel roads or roads with puddling surface conditions.

Thanks everyone for your replies I really appreciate them all.

I have in fact decided to stick with getting the MT-07. Barring something blindsiding the deal, I have secured the bike and I just need to work out some fine print details and sign some papers. It is a 2019 Ice Flou.

• Like 1

topazsparrow
23 minutes ago, seven said:

Thanks everyone for your replies I really appreciate them all.

I have in fact decided to stick with getting the MT-07. Barring something blindsiding the deal, I have secured the bike and I just need to work out some fine print details and sign some papers. It is a 2019 Ice Flou.

You really wont regret it. The bike is probably one of the best all-round bikes you can get regardless of price point. Plus there's so much aftermarket out there you can always mod it the way you want or grow into it.

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Take it slow and respect the bike, other drivers, and your own lack of knowledge and you'll be just fine.

Yakko Warner

Hi seven!  I'm a new rider, and the MT-07 is my first motorcycle too.  I haven't modified the engine, but I do try to have a smooth and delicate throttle hand as needed.  But what helped me tremendously with low speed maneuvers was installing an adjustable clutch lever.  I guess my hands are small, and the oem lever engaged a little farther out from the handlebar than was comfortable for me.  So installing an adjustable clutch lever made all clutch work better, but especially low speed maneuvers.  After that sorting the suspension added much more stability and control to riding the bike.  Just my $0.02.

Ice Fluo - Nice color choice !  You'll do just fine on the bike.  I believe that you can have the factory map saved and flashed back if needed (check with your mapper on that ).  I prefer the "post flash" version with as much engine braking removed as possible, but that is just me.  Even with the flash there is still engine braking, so it doesn't mean that it is free rolling.  Try to avoid any sudden movements, such as abrupt braking, abrupt throttle, etc when getting underway.  Once you start to feel confident go and take a course to re-humble yourself.  The major risk (IMHO) is when people get too comfortable and thus cocky when riding.  I have dropped my 07 3 times.  2 were at low speed manouver practice pushing the boundary a bit with tight and slow corners on incline the other was whipping into the shed to park and got into some mud - the front just disappeared.  I recommend frame sliders as an early investment after good gear.  Have Fun!