The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Med Pack - Do YOU carry one?

RobZilla

"He was face down, leg mostly amputated, breathing was slowing/stopping"

"bike was obliterated, scattered all over the road"

"he ran wide and went head on into a truck"

Today on the mountain a rider went down coming up the mountain. I was already at the top. These are the reports from the traffic that was coming up the mountain to the meet up spot. My first thought was "Is this guy still face down without a tourniquet and people are driving by??" Does he have any medical assistance or any medical gear to slow/stop the bleeding?

Now, don't know what happened. I was not there. I was not a first responder, nor could I have been from where I was. I cant comment on the details of this specific situation or speculate why or what happened, and it this point it doesn't matter. I've been a first responder in other situations, however- the comments I heard today got to me. 

Why am I not riding with a medical emergency pack on me??? I have them for backpacking, for car rides, even travel ones for mountain biking. Why on earth am I not riding my motorcycles with one- especially on long desolate rides. It could save mine or another persons life.

A few legitimate tourniquets, quick clock, packing gauze, tape, chest seal, pressure bandages, shears. Not an all inclusive list, just some quick items that came to mind. It doesn't take that much gear to fit into a butt pack to keep you alive until emergency services can take over (of which could be quote some time)

I'll be investing in a tac-med butt pack for my typical rides from now on. Along with identification, pertinent medical info, and emergency contact info to be readily accessible for whoever arrives on scene, if someone does. 

I'm spending money on motorcycle gear, accessories, upgrades. I think a medical pack is too often over looked. We all talk about riding safe and wearing gear and all that but what about the gear necessary after an incident?

Just wanted to share my experience today. Anyone ride with a medical pack? What do you include?

Thanks for listening - Ride on.

• Like 4

Airbornedeth

I had this thought the other day when I was going to go to Deals Gap, and here's what I came up with:

I ride with a piece of paper with my ICE contacts, and always have. I have a zip lock bag that holds my license/insurance card that could be used for a chest seal, and I guess I could use my belt as a tourniquet. I always have a knife in my pocket as well....because it was always said to me a man never knows when he will need one.

I just bought a smallish backpack/CamelBak your thing that I could put a first aid kit in, as well as all of the other stuff scattered throughout my various pockets... Except my knife, of course.

Edited by Airbornedeth
Grammar
  • Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
3 hours ago, RobZilla said:

Why am I not riding with a medical emergency pack on me??? I have them for backpacking, for car rides, even travel ones for mountain biking. Why on earth am I not riding my motorcycles with one- especially on long desolate rides. It could save mine or another persons life.

While it is definitely noble to carry or at least want to carry first aid gear, it is all for naught if you don't have the skills to use that gear. I'm not an EMT, but had to take a lot of wilderness first aid training for a volunteer job I had for several years. We considered "wilderness" as anything that would take over an hour to get advanced medical treatment. Many times a motorcycle wreck could fall into that category. Of the many things I picked up from that training, one was to keep taking the training classes periodically to keep it fresh in my memory, and the other was to know what I don't know. Then there are the legal ramifications of administering first aid to someone other than yourself which is a huge issue in itself.

I hope this thread gets some traction as I would really like to hear what other folks think about this. I'm sure everyone hopes that they are never in a situation where first aid is needed.

• Premium Member

Lots of good ideas presented here.

I agree with what  @FZ07R WaNaB said. if you're not current on 1st aid procedures you could do more harm than good. 

If you've not taken  1st aid training in the last 10 years you may want to take new course. I know some of the recommended  procedures have changed since my last class over 30 yrs ago.  I wouldn't trust myself morally or legally to attempt giving anymore than a band-aid or a blanket until I've taken new training.

I carry one of the pocket sized emergency blankets which has many uses including keeping you warm as a wind proof reflective layer and is recommended for treating shock in an injured person.  

Disclaimer: I'm in no way shape or form a medical professional and my advise is worth less than the 2¢ even I feel it's worth.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Definitely need to be up to date on on emergency medical protocols. I personally take tac-med courses every year or so for a refresh, but that's still not enough. The context of who and where you are helping them, as well as how serious the injuries are all come into play. If it were my brother/sister/girlfriend you're damn sure I'll do the best I can and it will be a different situation from a legal standpoint as helping a stranger. If you're not officially licensed as a medical professional (EMT, DR, NP, RN, what have you...)  you stand a very good chance of being sued even if you helped the person out depending on what you did. Some things like puncturing a lung that's filling with blood is an official procedure and if you're not qualified to do it, you will be sued, even if you save their life. It's a sticky situation, how much you can do, and for whom -  in relation to you. All things to consider. tourniquets and such you can apply to yourself with practice, that is, if you're conscious. Packing wounds, quick clot, stabilizing/moving someone out of traffic and into the recovery position as long as their is no obvious spinal damage are simple things that could save a life with (I think) minimal blowback. First aid courses are not a one and done type course. They need to be repeated and constantly refreshed with new methods/information. But to have those basic items readily accessible, even to use on yourself, could save your life. Not just for motorcycling but hiking/travel/whatever. Every activity has it's own set of requirements for what should go into the med pack.

Edited by RobZilla
added content.
  • Like 3

Might as well throw a list on here of some essentials:

Pressure dressings, 2 tourniquets, quick clock, packing/compressed/roll of gauze, more 4x4 gauze pads, duct tape, petrolatum gauze or chest seal, shears, 14 Gauge or larger IV Catheter at least 2” long for needle decompressions, 1-2 triangular bandages, and maybe a SAM splint (more for hiking), CPR mask, gloves.

Medical courses. Take them.

Edited by RobZilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm - thought provoking.  Makes me think that I have become lax with myself.  I need to try and find some med training (if any is even going on with the strange times we're in).  I have a small amount of kit under the seat for repairs and a larger box I carry on longer rides.  It wouldn't take much to add in some med kit as well.

FZ07R WaNaB
5 hours ago, RobZilla said:

Medical courses. Take them.

In addition to the classes, there are some really cool apps for your smart phone that are a great resource for medical emergencies.

Some of them are:

SAS Survival

First Aid: American Red Cross

iTriage

ICD10 Consult

WebMD

Wiser Response

• Like 1

I used to always carry a medpack with me back when I used to frequently ride mountain bikes in high school. Lots of crashes, lots of cuts, lots of bruises, it became a common thought that, "something worse than this could happen". I even brought duct tape wrapped around an old gift card (for broken stuff), and tourniquets as I was first-aid trained and had heard of unlucky falls onto branches and such.

As an adult aged 12-14 years since those high school days, I don't really think about med packs as much. Maybe it's time I carried one. 

• Like 2