The MT-07 Forum

Getting back into the saddle

e30kawi

Hey all, so I'm thinking about getting back on a bike. Had a bad accident four years ago and finally all healed up and wanting to get another bike.

I really loved my 07 and would like to get another, but I also don't want to miss out on other great bikes too. Kinda open to lots of opinions and feedback. Kinda of the short list outside of the 07:

Z400/650/800/900

Ktm 690/790

Fz09

CB 500

Really looking for decent power, seating position, and fuel economy.  Any feedback would be appreciated or is the 07 with better suspension the end all be all of bikes? If it helps, I'm 6'1 and 225# in my birthday suit.

TIA

I’m 6’2” and 210...

just bought the Mt-07 to compliment my FJR1300. Can’t really help on the other bikes and fit but I am very impressed with the 07. My 07 is modded with suspension and engine bolt on’s, plus taller handle bars.

I originally thought that the 09, or what I was looking for mt-10, would match the power I wanted. But what a joy the 07 is. No regrets. 

• Like 2

I have had my 07 for 5 years now and have no wish to replace it. Suspension is the only weakness for me, though mine is still stock and acceptable. The current model is better.  My enthusiasm for it is undiminished.

I have  borrowed a Z650 and enjoyed riding it. It is soft, I would say, and very pleasant to ride.  No match for the excitement of the 07 - if that is what you want.

KTM and the 09 would be too much for this old git, but the one to be sure of getting you home would be the 09. I suspect it would be a fab bike to own. Worth a test ride?

CB500.  I can only speak for my Rebel 500.  The engine has its main performance in the lower rev range, which I like.  Quite torquey for a 500. Bit vibey from 65mph so mine would not be a mile muncher (M and A roads). It is good fun though for me and in total contrast to the 07 (which is why I have it). It feels well engineered somehow.

Just my pen'orth

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator

@e30kawi
glad to see ya back, been a while
i'm about your same size in height/weight, and would lean towards the 07 if youre mostly gonna be in town... ive ridden the new ones and though in stock form they are much better than the first gen, they still arent great for long distance. the mt10/09 or even the xsr700-900 would be decent options as well for the longer hauls.  I havent ridden the 650 or 900 but the other 2 kawis are a bit on the sportier side in seating position imo, with the 400 being a bit underpowered. The Street triple is also a decent contender with the new 765cc motor. its a very interesting ride, again a bit on the sporty side buut quite comfy....

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Airbornedeth

I looked at the KTM 690, and at one point was 100% going to buy it, until I found out how much maintenance they needed compared to the other naked bikes in the same class. The MT 07 is the perfect bike for me. I'm 5'9" and around 200 lbs, and it has plenty of power to do hooligan stuff with if that's your thing. (I just like taking off fast and pounding through the gears until I hit the speed limit-ish.) I really enjoy this bike and 100% glad of my purchase. 

Since you ride/have ridden before, you know ultimately what you are looking for in a bike. I would research everything about the bikes, then narrow it down to 3 or 4 and test ride them to get a better feel. Good luck.

Edited by Airbornedeth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

@e30kawi
glad to see ya back, been a while
i'm about your same size in height/weight, and would lean towards the 07 if youre mostly gonna be in town... ive ridden the new ones and though in stock form they are much better than the first gen, they still arent great for long distance. the mt10/09 or even the xsr700-900 would be decent options as well for the longer hauls.  I havent ridden the 650 or 900 but the other 2 kawis are a bit on the sportier side in seating position imo, with the 400 being a bit underpowered. The Street triple is also a decent contender with the new 765cc motor. its a very interesting ride, again a bit on the sporty side buut quite comfy....

Glad to be back, I lurk around a bit. So the second gen is a bit better than the first? My only really gripe I had with my 2015 was the front end diving under braking. I had a tune and akra ti and shorty levers. Loved that setup and the sound it made. I've been really leaning towards a second gen but want to cover my bases before I commit to getting another. The z900 is appealing to me but haven't really seen any, but I see lots of 07 cruising around.

6 minutes ago, Airbornedeth said:

I looked at the KTM 690, and at one point was 100% going to buy it, until I found out how much maintenance they needed compared to the other naked bikes in the same class. The MT 07 is the perfect bike for me. I'm 5'9" and around 200 lbs, and it has plenty of power to do hooligan stuff with if that's your thing. (I just like taking off fast and pounding through the gears until I hit the speed limit-ish.) I really enjoy this bike and 100% glad of my purchase. 

Since you ride/have ridden before, you know ultimately what you are looking for in a bike. I would research everything about the bikes, then narrow it down to 3 or 4 and test ride them to get a better feel. Good luck.

I had a 2015 and loved it and it sounds like we have a similar riding style!

2D282779-176A-4B8C-9A1F-8C11713C86CC.jpeg

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

would lean towards the 07 if youre mostly gonna be in town... ive ridden the new ones and though in stock form they are much better than the first gen, they still arent great for long distance.

Sorkyah, that is most assuredly a subjective comment. I have several 500+ mile days on my 2016 FZ-07, and I wouldn't hesitate going on a 1000-2000 mile extended trip on my FZ, if not more. Don't forget zombiphone who has over 60,000 trip miles on her FZ-07.

That's the joy of the FZ/MT-07 in that it can be transformed into whatever you want to use it for, one of which is a sport tourer.

• Like 3

Since you loved your 07 before I doubt any other bike is going to measure up to it, it's just the best bike for fun and it's versatile but you know that so why second guess yourself. If you get any other bike  tragedy will befall you, you will be forever comparing it to your beloved 07 and eventually you'll become comatose in a chair with one thought on your mind the rest of your life,  MT07 .  😅  I joke but seriously, it's the bike to have just for the engine alone.

I highly recommend another 07.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

I rode a 2019 Z400 just the other day. It was a more sporty position than the 07. It's very light and nimble but lacks power and the smile factor. The clutch is very light and shifting is really smooth. I'm 5'7" and could easily flat foot it. It's a very small bike. I'm thinking it's not what you're looking for from your description.

• Like 1

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Global Moderator
16 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Sorkyah, that is most assuredly a subjective comment. I have several 500+ mile days on my 2016 FZ-07, and I wouldn't hesitate going on a 1000-2000 mile extended trip on my FZ, if not more. Don't forget zombiphone who has over 60,000 trip miles on her FZ-07.

That's the joy of the FZ/MT-07 in that it can be transformed into whatever you want to use it for, one of which is a sport tourer.

yes that is subjective.... 
ive done 400+ mile trips on mine, but it was uncomfortable. i'm 6'1 at 240lb, for reference zombie is at 5'4 and 110.. shes also over 100k on the odo i believe

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

yes that is subjective.... 
ive done 400+ mile trips on mine, but it was uncomfortable. i'm 6'1 at 240lb, for reference zombie is at 5'4 and 110.. shes also over 100k on the odo i believe

100k on the 07??? That's awesome. I am really leaning towards getting another, was just hoping someone was as enthusiastic about another bike as the 07. But I guess I should have anticipated a little bias by asking on here lol. I do still have my akra ti sitting in the garage.