The MT-07 Forum

Mossriders lessons from the road 1

mossrider

Windscreens. 

It doesn't matter if it's made of polycarbonite, Lexan or acrylic any windscreen will scratch. The trick is to use a microfiber and good cleaner. Anything else is too abrasive. Always clean them by rubbing in only one direction and always in the same direction.  Avoid rubbing in a circular pattern. A windscreen will never develope glare or cloud up, no matter how deep the scratches, if they are all the same direction. Once the scratches cross they will catch light and become noticeable at least, troublesome at worst. Never use a gas station squeegee or paper towel as they are guaranteed to scratch. These are designed to be used on auto glass, much harder and more durable than your windscreen. God only knows what some highschool kid washed off his dad's pickup before plunking that squeegee back in the hazmat bucket. 

Ride safe.

• Like 4

I apply the same to my helmet visor. Special spray and clean microfiber cloths before and after every ride. Often even during a quick stop if it’s a long ride.

👍

• Premium Member

Also do not use cleaners with ammonia, they can cause the plastics to yellow.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I haven't bought a new face shield for a helmet in like 20 years.   When my shield is dirty I either take it off the helmet or will leave it on, then spray some  cleaner or dish soap/water on them and spread a paper towel on them to hold the liquid, and spray on more cleaner or more soapy water - and let it sit.    After a while I can simply go back, remove the paper towel with a gentle sweep and then wash/wipe with tissues.  No scratching.

My one friend will drive me nuts, coming over and doing the face shield with a gas station squeegy.  If he wasn't such a thoughtful great person I'd give him the word.  But he is one tremendous friend and person, I can live with the "Speedway swipe".

With windshields a similar process, but not with the paper towel, water/dish soap heavy on the soap spread on the shield and left to soak in to the bug guts.   

Definitely agree with the wiping in one direction, makes sense.  Same with cleaning paint, if you aren't going full tilt with buffing and polishing, it should be linear, not circular, that will leave a swirly finish unless really finely polished.

• Like 1

Gas station squeegy..... you mean local piss water lol I wouldnt want a drop of that near my helmet!

I bought a bulk container of a mid detergent made for windscreens and plastics, bought a bunch of 1 oz glass sprayers and leave one with a clean microfiber cloth in every jacket. Seeing through bugsplatter may be a way of life but I do my best to mitigate it. Reminds me of a member on here - Bugsinteeth lol 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, RobZilla said:

Gas station squeegy..... you mean local piss water lol I wouldnt want a drop of that near my helmet!

I bought a bulk container of a mid detergent made for windscreens and plastics, bought a bunch of 1 oz glass sprayers and leave one with a clean microfiber cloth in every jacket. Seeing through bugsplatter may be a way of life but I do my best to mitigate it. Reminds me of a member on here - Bugsinteeth lol 

I use vacuum sealer to make compact kits with cleaner and micro-fiber cloths for on the road cleaning that I keep on the bike. We have lovebug swarms twice a year... it' not a pretty sight. After getting stuck in one I decided t be prepared for the next one.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

10 hours ago, RobZilla said:

Like I say, wonderful friend and person...  otherwise no way.  I wave him off on it but on occasion haven't been quick enough.

Am I the only one who just spits on the visor and buffs with a microfiber?  Works better than just about anything else especially for bug guts.  One in a while I'll take the visor off and use soft-soap to wash the inside as well.  Definitely wouldn't do a gas station wash - ever!

FZ07R WaNaB
On 7/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, RobZilla said:

I bought a bulk container of a mid detergent made for windscreens and plastics, bought a bunch of 1 oz glass sprayers and leave one with a clean microfiber cloth in every jacket.

I do something similar to that. The place I get me eyeglasses from gives away these 2.0 oz. bottle of lens cleaner. What's great about this stuff is that it is anti-static, anti-streak, and does not run at all. I've gotten a bunch of these bottles, as they are pretty cool about handing them out for free. I bring two of their lens cleaning clothes, the first for the first crusty bug wipe and the second for final clean on my visor. I never really bother with the windscreen other than hitting it when the whole bike gets a bath as it is low enough that I'm not really looking through it. It's much more of an air dam for me.

Now before anyone asks, these eye docs are a small DC based chain called My Eye Doc, and from what I can see on their website, you can't order these bottles. There is a strong likelihood that your local eyeglass store will have a similar product though.

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

I have found a towel soaked in warm water then draped over the windscreen for a few minutes works well on bugs and other grime. It works on your visor too. If I am traveling, I will use one of the hotel bath towels. Not sure the maid appreciates it but it works. At least I'm not stealing the towels.

There's also a spray cleaner called Plexus but it's very expensive. I got a deal on it a couple years ago and bought a case of the stuff. There are look alikes  that work well too.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

As many know, the key is to have some soaking time, regardless of what is used.  Water or soap/water to soak into the bug guts and road grime.  It loosens/softens it and soap will provide some lubricant to help avoid scratching surfaces.

Remember, shellac is made from bug guts, the stuff is really hard when it dries.  Bug guts can be very abrasive.

Pledge furniture polish works well (with microfiber)

plexus is my go to for all plastics, but $20 a bottle...use it on boat hatches and seems to make them last longer  

when it’s really bad, going to give the towel trick a try!

Edited by Two-rocks