The MT-07 Forum

Wanted - 18+ ABS ECU - ECU Connection issues

RobZilla

Wanted - 18+ ABS ECU

So I have issues connecting to my stock 18 XSR700 ECU with ABS. I'm at the point I think it's the ECU that is having trouble communicating with FTECU software.

Does anyone have a spare ECU to sell? Or is there any way to completely "reset" the ECU.

I'm in Charlotte, NC.

If I leave it for a day or so it will connect. All connections checked out good. When it fails (which happens most every time and I'm trying to load a new 2wdw tune on it) I can't connect to it. FTECU says it's a wiring issue- it's not. They have also reset the license. I've had no issues previously except for the one off misconnect while connecting but that is rare. I've gone through their testing and everything checked out good. It also DOES intermittently connect without any changes, just needs to sit for a day. Which is very frustrating.

- I used he FTECU 6 pin test with a paper clip to verify everything is corrected properly. (it should be, it's worked fine in the past with no changes)

- Buzzed the wires to check for shorts

- I've tried removing the ECU and reconnecting.

- Tried disconnecting the battery and all accessories and waiting a few minutes.

- Tried restarting my computer. It is the bike side harness so I use a laptop and leave the ECU on the bike and connect via the 6pin harness.

- Reinstalled and rebooted FTECU SW

- Tried an entire different laptop w/ new sw, etc. 

- Tried loading existing/older flash files

- The only thing that allows me to connect is letting it sit for  a day and then it flashes, often with issues, which brings me here. The bike wont work.

This leads me to believe the ECU is corrupted and I really don't want to spend about $500 for a new one. So if anyone has a spare or one they are not using, please PM me and we can work something out.

Any ideas/help is appreciated. The only thing that seems to help is waiting over a day, and then sometimes the write fails and it's back to waiting ANOTHER day.

The bike is currently not starting, just says "error" on the meter and wont kick over cause it has no ECU map loaded... obviously.

Not sure if this is under the correct thread, please redirect if needed. This is very frustrating. Wanted to test the 2WDW flash this week.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by RobZilla
edited

Interesting find. The 6 pin harness does not connect to my other bike either. That’s quite a spectacular coincidence. Going to see if I can get a new one from FTECU. I have a feeling I found the issue. 

• Like 1

Funny, FTECU is asking to check the wiring of the existing bike that has had no issues until now. WTF. This is bullshit. I'm not paying $350 for a new f*cking cable.

Do you have FTECU bike side harness installed? I really appreciate that. It would have to be next week some time if you're available, I'm at my GF's in Morganton. Luckily my R6 is running. 

Airbornedeth

If it didn't come already on the bike new, then no. I've only done plug and play stuff, and have no idea what that connector is. I wasn't sure if you could just plug up to my bike to see if it reads it fine or not. Either way, let me know what day/time next week. I live in Kannapolis, but work near CMC Main in Charlotte and could ride in one day, or meet somewhere else.

Edited by Airbornedeth
Grammar

Thanks I appreciate it, but the bike side harness has to tap into the factory ECU harness pins, not exactly plug and play, and licences are mated to individual ECU's.

I'm seeing if I can send this cable back to them to confirm it's bad. Really pissed about this whole thing. 

Airbornedeth

Yeah, I'm not looking to flash my ECU. I like how my bike runs (at least right now 🙃). Just trying to help. Hopefully you get it figured out. 

• Like 1

I should update, I no longer think it's my ECU, but the USB FTECU Harness itself.