The MT-07 Forum

Broken display?

stickman2741

stickman2741

Hi guys,

First post here so bare with me,

I've had my MT07 for just over a year and lately the display has started to give me issues

It started by just freezing occassionaly while riding but all I needed to do was turn the ignition off and on again and it would be fine, however over time it got worse and the old faith full on and off method didn't work.

Fast forward to a few months ago, when I turn my bike on the backlight for the display comes on but the display is just blank which I have just had to deal with until now. The LED lights at the bottom (indicator light, oil light ets) still work fine.

I'm quite handy when it comes to electronics so I took it apart to have a look at it and it doesn't look water damaged and none of the components have blown. I've swapped by bikes battery out with a new one to make sure that that's not at fault.

None of the fuses have blown on the bike and the only other thing I can think about trying is just swapping out the display but I've noticed they're big money, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Airbornedeth

It's dead. There is nothing you can do to bring it back.

I had the same issue with less than 30 miles on it, and it's being replaced under warranty. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
1 hour ago, Airbornedeth said:

It's dead. There is nothing you can do to bring it back.

I had the same issue with less than 30 miles on it, and it's being replaced under warranty. 

I agree with above ^.... Yamaha may cover it if it's just over a year old. If it's the non-ABS model, I think a new dash is slightly under about $300 online. Try Partzilla, or Bike Bandit. I think the ABS dash assembly is closer to $600. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

stickman2741
3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I agree with above ^.... Yamaha may cover it if it's just over a year old. If it's the non-ABS model, I think a new dash is slightly under about $300 online. Try Partzilla, or Bike Bandit. I think the ABS dash assembly is closer to $600. Good luck-

Mines the ABS so RIP my wallet I guess haha, I'll get in contact with yamaha and see what they say but not gunna hold my breath, thanks for the responses 

• Global Moderator

Wow, over $200 more for the ABS dash.  I wonder what the difference is, it cannot be just the light.  

• 2 years later...

This happened to me today.  Same exact thing, I noticed my dash froze on a ride.  I power cycled and then it worked for 10 min then froze.  Then the next time I power cycled, blank screen.  All auxiliary lights work.  I don't know if this is related but I can only start in neutral now (can't clutch in start in gear, although bike was sitting so maybe the clutch switch is the issue).

My bike had been sitting a month and it was super wet.  The bike was covered in a parking garage but parked right next to the edge, so still gets soaked.  It had been dry for a week before I faced this issue, but I still bet it's moisture related.

Has anyone else faced this, and found a solution without replacing the dash.  If I replace the dash will my ODO reading get messed up, or is that in the ECU?

edit: Found this Video, will give it a shot over the weekend.  Looks like a temp repair...

Edited by clinical
  • Like 2

I took the dash apart.  I'm amazed, it's exactly like in the video.  Without pressure on the top of the screen, it stays blank.  With pressure, the screen works.  When the pressure is removed, the screen freezes.  Reapplying pressure to a frozen screen doesn't bring it back, a power cycle is required.  So I'll shove some rubber between the screen and the housing to keep pressure.  I doubt this fix will last very long.

blank.thumb.jpg.178de45df469eb10006749aeea895fc8.jpg

Blank, without pressure applied.

Works.thumb.jpg.aad9d442d4b0c5103d7bf88d066a6c45.jpg

Works with pressure applied.  There is a cable on the back of the screen, right under my thumb.  Apparently there is a chip there that controls the screen which loses contact.

Wires.thumb.jpg.e18fc7afa1988f21c76c7215b3646f05.jpg

Here's how I tested it. Pin 24 is GND, pins 20 & 19 are 12V (the corners of the connector have pin # labels, so use those for reference).  The original poster of the video I linked mentioned this in a comment.  I couldn't confirm from the wiring diagram, so I just crossed my fingers and prayed.  Worked. 

EDIT: I'd just recommend diagnosing on the bike, it was a PITA to bench test this.

Edited by clinical
  • Like 3

Seems like the flat flex cable has no good contact to the LCD glass or the PCB. I think about putting the area under special electronics silicone to protect it from moisture penetration and vibration. We use this a lot in the company I work for to protect PCBs for maritime use.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

I considered doing something like that but, I couldn't figure out a way to remove it from the white housing to access the back of the screen. If it dies again, I'll have fewer options, so will see if I can get it out by a potentially more destructive approach. 

The silver lining is, that the flex cable you noticed should allow me to replace just the screen from a donor gauge cluster.  So if I must replace I won't lose my ODO reading.

• 4 months later...

Even after the fix I posted months ago, the screen at times freezes.  So far I've always been able to bring it back by putting pressure in the top center of the display and power cycling the bike...but it's pretty darn annoying.

I have been periodically checking eBay to see if anyone was selling a replacement dash.  I came across this Chinese vendor selling FZ/MT-07 bare screens.  Does anyone have experience these/this replacement.  Very tempting price ($160) vs probably +500 for the full dash from Yamaha (and resetting the odo). 

s-l500.png

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for LCD Display for Yamaha MT-07 MT07 FZ07 Tracer 700...

• Like 1

I would imagine those are the same screen that Yamaha uses. Yamaha doesn't produce screens and that's probably their vendor selling stock that Yamaha didn't need. 

Or they're seconds that didn't pass QC. Or they're cheap knockoffs. Sadly, the Chinese have earned themselves the reputation of " it could be great, but it's probably garbage", so it's really a gamble every time 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, clinical said:

Even after the fix I posted months ago, the screen at times freezes.  So far I've always been able to bring it back by putting pressure in the top center of the display and power cycling the bike...but it's pretty darn annoying.

I have been periodically checking eBay to see if anyone was selling a replacement dash.  I came across this Chinese vendor selling FZ/MT-07 bare screens.  Does anyone have experience these/this replacement.  Very tempting price ($160) vs probably +500 for the full dash from Yamaha (and resetting the odo). 

s-l500.png

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for LCD Display for Yamaha MT-07 MT07 FZ07 Tracer 700...

If you decide to buy one, please let us know how it turns out. Thanks!

• Like 1

Not necessarily a budget friendly option, but if the OEM ABS dash is ~$600, another potential option is the Koso RX4 that's about the same price and looks (aesthetically, at least) a lot better. The only potential concern would be the odometer, but I did see there was a screen on the initial setup of the Koso unit for you to put in your current mileage so it can essentially pick up where you left off. 

I was looking at options a while back when I did my colorclusterz LCD flip and RPM colors just in case I accidentally destroyed my factory unit peeling the original LCD screen, which thankfully didn't happen, but it was nice to know I had a backup.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 7fold said:

Not necessarily a budget friendly option, but if the OEM ABS dash is ~$600, another potential option is the Koso RX4 that's about the same price and looks (aesthetically, at least) a lot better. The only potential concern would be the odometer, but I did see there was a screen on the initial setup of the Koso unit for you to put in your current mileage so it can essentially pick up where you left off. 

I was looking at options a while back when I did my colorclusterz LCD flip and RPM colors just in case I accidentally destroyed my factory unit peeling the original LCD screen, which thankfully didn't happen, but it was nice to know I had a backup.

Nice to know about the Koso RX4. I just looked on the net and looks like it only fits 2018+. Do you know if there is a a 2017 ABS version?

16 minutes ago, Claude said:

Nice to know about the Koso RX4. I just looked on the net and looks like it only fits 2018+. Do you know if there is a a 2017 ABS version?

Hmm, that I'm not sure of. I thought the dash for the 1st and 2nd gens were all the same. Looking at their site, they seem to have a list of compatible dashes based on the stickers on the back of the dash itself. I'm thinking if your sticker matches any of those on the list, you should be good to go. 

Screenshot_20230713-215047~3.png

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800

if you need a somewhat cheaper option for the koso screen, biohazard has them for significantly cheaper than msrp. i really like these guys, theyve been consistently the cheapest place to get parts (so much so that at first i had to look up if they were a scam site). ive been pleasantly surprised, got my ftecu, my exhaust, and my rear shock from them.

edited to say their site is not well organized, if you cant find something email them they usually have it.

koso rx4 display - $419

6F8F99FC-0EDC-4FB6-83EE-87538450BD43__62

KOSO BA081000 RX-4 RX4 TFT Multi-Function Display MT09 MT07

koso rx3 display - 

09C840F6-5520-404B-B19B-EE0C2968BB28__99

KOSO BA071000 RX-3 RX3 TFT Multi-Function Display

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 1

My 2020 MT-07 will display fault codes on its dash.  Is this possible with aftermarket units?

5 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

My 2020 MT-07 will display fault codes on its dash.  Is this possible with aftermarket units?

Another great question haha. It looks like the RX-4 has a CEL, but I'm not sure if the actual dash will display the fault or if it's limited to just lighting up the CEL. It looks like there's an app (K Link), that might provide more detailed information, but I'm not 100% sure. I emailed Koso North America to double check, so if they get back to me I can edit the post to include that info. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 10:01 PM, 7fold said:

Hmm, that I'm not sure of. I thought the dash for the 1st and 2nd gens were all the same. Looking at their site, they seem to have a list of compatible dashes based on the stickers on the back of the dash itself. I'm thinking if your sticker matches any of those on the list, you should be good to go. 

Screenshot_20230713-215047~3.png

On Partzilla, p/n for my 2017 FZ07 ABS is 2RC-83500-20. I e-mailed Koso and they told me it would not fit (even if this part number is on their list but not highlighted in gray).

They also told me I must check the number printed on the sticker behind my gauge. I did so and the printed number is 2RC-83500-30 so the RX-4 should also work on my bike. I wonder why this number is different than on Partzilla though...

I e-mailed Koso back and I suppose they will confirm their RX-4 do work on my 2017 ABS. I also asked them if the RX-4 have the same ABS light my OEM gauge has.

Edited by Claude
typo

On 7/14/2023 at 8:46 AM, Triple Jim said:

I emailed Koso and asked them about the fault codes. I will post back here with their answer.

• Like 1

It took them a few days, but that finally replied. Based on the email I got from Koso NA, they said the fault code functionality is the same as OEM so it should be good to go. 

As far as the ABS light, I'm thinking that should function like the OEM light as well based on some of the pictures:

image.png.91923342703cdba4e5eb2e23cf567369.png

32 minutes ago, 7fold said:

It took them a few days, but that finally replied. Based on the email I got from Koso NA, they said the fault code functionality is the same as OEM so it should be good to go. 

I wonder if they really mean it will display numerical codes like the stock unit will.  I find that a little hard to believe, but maybe it does.  Unless they specifically said it will, they may mean it will display the engine symbol, the overheat symbol, the ABS symbol, etc.

Here's what Koso e-mailed me back:

"If the part number on the back of the gauge matches with one of the part numbers on the fitment chart, then the gauge will work. As for the ABS function, the gauge will indeed have a light like the OEM gauge. The error codes will also be the same procedure as stock in order to see and remove them!"

• Like 2

Thanks again 7fold for the information about the RX-4. They are now in my computer's favorites and will reach them if my stock gauge ever fail. Thanks!