The MT-07 Forum

Better to sell with mods or return to stock?

ShiftHer

Hey FZ fam. I have got the bug for a new bike and have settled on the XSR700 (if I can manage to find one in stock anywhere near me 🥴). I love the FZ but really dig the looks on the XSR and also the flatter, wider seat. My FZ is the first bike I've ever done mods to, so I'm wondering is it better to return the bike to stock before trading in/selling and sell the mods separately? Or are there certain mods that help the value? Mine are all bolt-on mods (exhaust, EJK, levers, windscreen, guards, various OEM accessories, and some creature comforts). Appreciate any insight!

Price it out.  I am in the process of getting ready to sell mine, and returning to stock plus selling mods separate was the better value.  Defn a lot more hassle though.  But selling a stock bike will appeal to more of the market, mods narrow the window by quite a lot.  

I "tested the waters" with selling mine with the mods, and the guy is supposedly coming on Saturday.  We will see.

All it takes is the right buyer.  

Edit: Mods rarely increase the resale of any vehicle.

Edited by geophb
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

i would assume most of the standard equipment would swap between the bikes, so, maybe make a list of what mods youve got that will fit the xsr and go from there
otherwise, what @geophb said... pricing it all out/seeing what people want. 

• Like 3

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

According to Kelly Blue Book mods don't increase the value of the bike so depending on the worth of the part you might want to part out. 

• Like 1

Beemer

I think this is largely a question of psychology.

Now that I've owned an FZ07 for a while and am familiar with the FZ ecosystem (meaning I know what modifications and accessories are available for it and which are worthwhile), I'd be willing to pay extra for a bike with certain mods – assuming I was in the market for another FZ07.

However, when I was initially shopping for a used FZ07 and knew less about this model or the aftermarket parts available for it, the prospect of buying a modded bike made me uncomfortable because of the unknowns it introduces. I mean, over the years I've seen a lot of mods installed by motorcyclists I wouldn't trust to change the oil on my bikes, let alone mess with the wiring or fueling. Who knows if their modifications made the bike run better or caused some sort of long term damage that would appear 6 months down the line? I also had to wonder if the mods were done to customize the bike or disguise problems. For instance, whenever I see a bike for sale with aftermarket body parts, my first thought is: Did the original parts have to be replaced because they were damaged in an accident?

Thus, as a prospective FZ07 buyer, the more stock a bike was, the more faith I had in it and the more likely I was to buy it. This holds true for any of the used motorcycles I've purchased over the years.

So, if you can find someone on this or a similar forum to buy your bike in its current configuration, cool! If not, you're better off returning it to stock and selling the aftermarket parts separately. Luckily this forum is a pretty good place to sell any parts you take off. I've only had an FZ07 for 6 months and I've already bought a bunch of items from other members.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Definitely return it to stock.... It's slightly more hassle, but I've always made out MUCH better selling aftermarket parts separate. I think this holds true to the FZ/MT-07 as it attracts "newer" riders, that just want to learn to ride. I've found most aftermarket parts add ZERO value to a bike for most buyers. Good luck with the sale 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

InsaneDawe

Just chiming in to say, please part out. It's surprising how little 2nd hand parts are available.

• Like 1

Great points! That does make sense about knowing the bike's ecosystem or not. It will definitely be more hassle to switch back, but I guess the good thing is I'm not in a huge rush so I don't have to undo it all at once. 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
2 hours ago, ShiftHer said:

Great points! That does make sense about knowing the bike's ecosystem or not. It will definitely be more hassle to switch back, but I guess the good thing is I'm not in a huge rush so I don't have to undo it all at once. 

Just a thought.... I think most the parts you mentioned in the original post should bolt right on the XSR700. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's exact same motor that's in the FZ/MT-07? Might be worth doing some research at the dealership? Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Just a thought.... I think most the parts you mentioned in the original post should bolt right on the XSR700. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's exact same motor that's in the FZ/MT-07? Might be worth doing some research at the dealership? Good luck-

True, I could reuse the EJK. I have my heart set on a different exhaust for the XSR though 😛  I will look into some of the other pieces. 

I've found it pretty hard to sell FZ07 parts here in San Francisco. Slider pegs, mirrors, grips, rearsets, whatever. Nobody wants anything. I'd take the mods off, and return to stock, and try to sell them to the future owner at a discount. The OEMness of the bike will bring them in, and the mods on the side will let them install at their own comfort.