The MT-07 Forum

Fork Questions(Dave Moss, Sonic Springs)

JackTrades

JackTrades

So i recently swapped out my fork springs for a pair of Sonic ones for my weight (.90) and 15w oil. However i noticed 2 differences between what dave moss recommends and what sonic recomends.

Sonic recommends cutting their included pvc pipe so that it makes the fork cap stick up about 16mm or 0.5in. However moss recommends cutting the stock metal spacer down. He then proceeds to lift the forks up about 8mm. Whats the right call? Ive already followed sonic instructions and the front has really stiffened up and feels a lot better overall. I was mainly wondering about the effects of lifting up the forks. As a shorter rider it would probably help me get both feet on the ground.

Edited by JackTrades

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I have much more faith in sonic..... I'm not a fan of Dave Moss. I put .90nm springs in mine with racetech emulators. I have about 10mm of preload (like sonic). I'm completely happy with my front end. I use my bike mostly for track days, and push it hard.  I'm a shorter rider as well. I raised the fork tubes in the triple clamps by 10mm. This lowers the bike slightly, as well as helps it tip into a corner better. Hope that helps-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

JackTrades

Yeah i got about 16mm spacer and man did it suck to put em back on. I might actually lower them a bit someday as i feel their a little too stiff but it sure did clear up dive under breaking. Did lowering affect anything else? Is it bad to lower them that way?

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I would consider buying some cheap eBay preload adjusters (fork caps). I think I got mine for about $20? I adjusted mine to be in about the middle of the range, with about 10mm if preload. This gives you the option to have ZERO preload, as well as up to 20mm preload, or anywhere in between.

You can safely raise your fork tubes 10mm in the clamps. When you do that, you will lose a small amount of high-speed stability.... I've never noticed it a bit. I can tip it into a corner wide open in 6th gear (on a track), and never upset the chassis a bit. You could probably go more? My suspension tuner recommends 10mm, so that's what I went with-

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"