The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha R3- 2WDW flash review

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I picked up a new 2019 Yamaha R3 late last fall. This is my street bike. My FZ-07 is now a dedicated track bike. I'm keeping the R3 motor, and intake all stock. I added an Akrapovic GP slip-on. Adding a slip on, while leaving the stock CAT on does nothing for performance. Essentially, my R3 is stock for all practical purposes. 

I'm pretty active on the R3 forum as well. I kept seeing posts about the excessive engine braking on the R3. I didn't think it was all that bad? I mean, it's a little 321cc parallel twin... How much engine baking could it really produce??? I thought: "Maybe I don't know, what I don't know"???  I was right- I didn't....

I went to the 2WDW website, and they where having a COVID-19 discount on ECU flashing for $249. That was the cheapest I've ever seen it. They did a great job on my FZ-07 flash, so I thought I'd pull the trigger. I gave them all the details of my bike, and was clear that I obviously wasn't chasing HP, but wanted it to do everything "better". They turned it around in a week door-to-door, which is amazing to me.

I reinstalled the ECU, and everything worked as it should. I just took it for a ride this morning for the first time since the flash. I knew within the first block, that I had a different bike! It did everything better, just as I had hoped!!!! The lack of engine braking was a drastic change. I had no idea how much engine braking a little 321cc motor could produce!!! It was instantly an easier bike to ride. Granted, it wasn't a difficult bike to ride to begin with, but the flash helped dramatically. I roll off the throttle now, and it just glides effortlessly into gradually slowing down. Very seamless, effortless, and just plain FUN!!! 

I know people are always gonna ask "is it faster now?"- Honestly, I don't think so. That wasn't my end goal at all. When I got on the throttle hard this morning, it felt the same as it did before the flash- no better, no worse.... What I gained was a bike that runs smoother, and easier to ride. I'm happy with my choice, and it was definitely worth the money. 

I posted this on this site because the R3 has the EXACT same motor as the MT-03. I know a lot of people are looking at the MT-03. It's a very fun, smooth, high-reving little package. You can really wined it up on the street, and be pretty darn close to being "legal" 😎-

• Like 5

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"