Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DentonFreeman

Brights Issue with LED Bulb

Recommended Posts

DentonFreeman

Hey All - hope this is just on me being dumb with vehicle electronics - I just installed an LED headlight bulb on mt 2019 MT-07 (the stock bulb really is not good IMO, especially the bright light) and I'm having an issue where the brights are now always on. No matter what I do I cannot turn the brights off, or at least the dash light for the brights is constantly on. Is this normal when installing an LED headlight, or do I need to do something to get the bike to understand there's a different type of bulb in there or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

I have the Cyclops LED bulb and it does not do that.  It works just like stock, only much brighter.  It is weird that the high beam light on the dash also stays on.  If you switch back to the stock bulb does it work correctly?  If so it is an issue with the bulb.  I would check fuses too in case you blew one and it defaulted to high beam only. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DentonFreeman

So after some testing, it only switches between low and high beams when I use the trigger switch on the front of the left handlebar. If I use the normal switch for high and low beams it does nothing. The dash light for high beams never shuts off, and the dash light does get brighter when I use the trigger switch for the high beams.

It's weird. I may just return the bulb and buy the cyclops LED since I noticed it's really popular here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

While I haven't installed an LED on my FZ-07, I have installed them on several other bikes. I've never experienced anything what you are??? I'd do as what @mjh937 suggested, and try the old bulb. What you are experiencing is definitely not normal.... BTW: welcome to the forum!!! Let us know what you figure out-


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DentonFreeman

Yeah the old bulb works perfect, so I suppose it's an issue with the bulb I used. I'll buy the Cyclops LED and see how that goes. Will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
20 minutes ago, DentonFreeman said:

Yeah the old bulb works perfect, so I suppose it's an issue with the bulb I used. I'll buy the Cyclops LED and see how that goes. Will report back.

Just to let you know, all the cyclops bulbs are a great improvement over stock. My first was the 3800 lumen and my current bulb is the 10k lumen bulb. The one in between (7500 lumen ???) is very bright as well, it's almost indistinguishable from the 10K bulb. GL!

  • Like 1

Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tavisb

Yeah, my LED bulb doesn't do that either. Weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DentonFreeman

Update: bought a Cyclops LED headlight and it works perfectly. Must've been an issue with the other headlight I bought. Thanks for the help, everyone!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sped105

What LED lamp didn't work? Make/model? Link? I'm going to be getting a LED for my 2019 soon and don't want to go through the same b.s.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DentonFreeman

This exact one from Cyclegear. I bought it at their store because it was on sale and they had it in stock so I could do the conversion that day.

Turns out something was wrong with it. Not sure what, though - the manager at the store said it was weird it didn't work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zephyr
On 7/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, Sped105 said:

What LED lamp didn't work? Make/model? Link? I'm going to be getting a LED for my 2019 soon and don't want to go through the same b.s.

Thanks

Save yourself some hassle and get the Cyclops.  I've heard few if any complaints about them (including my own experience) and they are a direct swap replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwii

Good to hear you solved the problem. I installed one from amazon (H4 LED 9003) and had no issues with function. Plenty of selection on amazon and you get 2 bulbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evanlamarr88
On 7/2/2020 at 6:57 PM, DentonFreeman said:

So after some testing, it only switches between low and high beams when I use the trigger switch on the front of the left handlebar. If I use the normal switch for high and low beams it does nothing. The dash light for high beams never shuts off, and the dash light does get brighter when I use the trigger switch for the high beams.

It's weird. I may just return the bulb and buy the cyclops LED since I noticed it's really popular here.

How else do you switch between high/low beams? The only switch I'm aware of is the one above the blinker on the left side of the handlebar.

Edit: nevermind, I know what you're talking about now. The "trigger" switch on the FRONT side of the regular switch. Sorry it didn't work my man!

Edited by Evanlamarr88
fix misunderstanding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evanlamarr88
On 7/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, Tekn14 said:

I just installed this bulb a couple weeks ago, works great imo.
 

DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb 9003 HB2 HS1 P43t 6500K CREE Chips High Low Beam Light Conversion Kit 2 Yr Warranty, 1 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTTFN1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XesdFb151ZCVS

Is there a meaningful difference between low/high beam? I just bought an LED headlight off Amazon, and there was no distinguishable difference between the two. Came here to figure out what worked for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937
3 hours ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

Is there a meaningful difference between low/high beam? I just bought an LED headlight off Amazon, and there was no distinguishable difference between the two. Came here to figure out what worked for others.

The Cyclops bulb has a difference between high and low beams.  I think it mostly has to do with where the emitters are in relation to the reflector.  The Amazon or eBay bulbs are not designed specifically for our reflector so it is hit or miss as far as how well they work.  You might get one with the emitters in close to the right place or they may be way off.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tekn14

Not really, you can tell the high beams are on just because the low beam goes away. I haven’t tried it on a road with no lights tho, only with lights. But the low beam is very well lit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shintachou
On 7/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, Beemer said:

Just to let you know, all the cyclops bulbs are a great improvement over stock. My first was the 3800 lumen and my current bulb is the 10k lumen bulb. The one in between (7500 lumen ???) is very bright as well, it's almost indistinguishable from the 10K bulb. GL!

I think the numbers you used are “color temperature” not lumens. Higher number does not mean you get more brightness or lumens, higher you go, you loose more red, yellow spectrum, and light will appear with more blue/purple hue. 

brightest color temp would be ~4000k, because that is closest to full spectrum. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shintachou
On 7/11/2020 at 10:37 PM, DentonFreeman said:

This exact one from Cyclegear. I bought it at their store because it was on sale and they had it in stock so I could do the conversion that day.

Turns out something was wrong with it. Not sure what, though - the manager at the store said it was weird it didn't work properly.

I wonder if the bulb is the wrong “size”, where it’s physically same as 9003, but the “hot” side of high and low beam are reversed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
3 minutes ago, shintachou said:

I think the numbers you used are “color temperature” not lumens. Higher number does not mean you get more brightness or lumens, higher you go, you loose more red, yellow spectrum, and light will appear with more blue/purple hue. 

brightest color temp would be ~4000k, because that is closest to full spectrum. 

 

Those aren't color temp numbers. They are claimed lumens. The cyclops bulbs have a good track record with many here. They have good throw and spread. 

  • Like 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shintachou
1 minute ago, DewMan said:

Those aren't color temp numbers. They are claimed lumens. The cyclops bulbs have a good track record with many here. They have good throw and spread. 

Damn.... lights have come a looonnnggg way, didn’t know they can hit 10k lumens on a single bulb now 🤯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetahman023

I just installed Cyclops LED H4 Headlight bulb.  Low beam is very bright while riding in the evening.  No issues with the low or high beam.  

Checked Cyclops dealer locator and picked one up at a local shop Motodemic.  No waiting, same price as purchasing it direct, and  no waiting instant gratification.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.