The MT-07 Forum

ECU Flashing?

Whippinghaus

• Premium Member
On 9/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, FZWes said:

I corresponded with 2WDW about flashing my ECU. They told me look for gains of 2-3 hp and torque. For around $100 per hp that isn't a good return for the money. 

A module that will flash the ECU may be a better use of your money.

I don't understand this... Where else are you going to gain 2-3 HP for less than $300? It seems like the cheapest HP gain to me?

• Like 5

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Trust me! It’s not just for horsepower but for throttle control and all that good shet! I use only 2wDw for all my bikes. No matter what they are the best around and know what the f@#k they are doing

• Like 1

I’m new to this forum. I find everyone’s comments interesting. I am probably in a different position in life than most here. Old but experienced. I just got a 2021 MT-07 as a 3rd bike in the stable for 2 reasons: 1- it is a blast to ride. 2- it was a challenge for a build to a track day bike. I am fortunate enough to live near Dynojet and get the priveledge of having them tune my bikes. I currently have a full Yosh exhaust, and PV5 and a Dynojet air box cover which eliminates the Snorkel. My Dynojet figures are 2 hp for the exhaust and PV5, and almost a hp for The air box cover which is just a cleaner version of the snorkel removal. Next week we are going to swap out the PV5 with a PC3. I am replacing the stock filter with a K&N because I don’t like paper filters. We are also going no remove the PAIR valve, which makes it nearly impossible to tune the bike on the Dynojet, with the secondary air system (smog pump), altering the A/F ratios while tuning. On top of that, the decel popping comes from the PAIR valve causing the unburned fuel to explode on the way out of the exhaust, when you dump the CAT and put an unrestricted exhaust you have to acclimate. If I didn’t like the sound so much of a loud exhaust, I would have probably left it stock, or just bought an MT-09 if all I wanted was more power and a similar feel. Once I get it back to Dynojet to get it tuned for the PV3 ( I am the guinea pig for the 2021 model year bikes which will have the same ECU as the R7 from what I hear. But I am hoping for more than modest gains, and no popping from the dynotune being tricked by the PAIR valve. After the motor, I’m going to  work on some more front end stability. I’m thinking fork springs. Spacer mod, or valve change and better oil. Then a steering damper would be nice, although expensive. 

C3ECDF2F-5245-4175-B579-66FE8E693D15.jpeg

• Global Moderator

I am pretty sure my bike does not have a PAIR valve (there is no mention of it in the service manual) and I was unaware any of them did.  Is that a new thing for the 2021 to meet Euro5 specs?

M. Hausknecht

Likely a California-legal bike; agreed the non-Cali bikes don't have PAIR valves. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grayrat said:

I just got a 2021 MT-07 as a 3rd bike in the stable for 2 reasons: 1- it is a blast to ride. 2- it was a challenge for a build to a track day bike.

But I am hoping for more than modest gains, and no popping from the dynotune being tricked by the PAIR valve. 

Have you considered Hord's airbox? It transforms the bike's top end power with no power or torque loss lower down in the rev range. Dyno chart here of a bike with a Yoshi exhaust, with and without the airbox (and PCV tuned to suit each).

Many race and track 07s use the airbox, the extra top end is very nice at the track.

Best bang for buck power mod in my opinion, particularly if you already have a PCV/PV3.

Edit: Oh, and welcome!

Edited by stickshift

I’m going to do whatever Dynojet recommends on the engine tuning. Their air box top and the K&N filter may do the same thing. The biggest thing is dumping the Pair valve so they can accurately dyno, along with the PV3 which allows them to tune within the narrow band 02 sensor that the ECU locks out any piggyback type tuners like the PC5. The MT-07’s strength is it’s power delivery. It will never win a hp contest, but if it can be made to pull harder out of the corners, adjust the engine braking to my personal preference, and have a decent over-run it should be even more fun to ride. We don’t know what the numbers will be until the work is done. Remember, this is a 2021 model. It is a little different than the 2018-2020 models. Sometimes the new bikes are actually made faster but choked up and limited just to make them equal to the older models, but adhering to the new EPA and more important to the Japanese factory, the Euro5 standards. We just don’t know yet. Why did Yamaha discontinue the R6 and come out with YZF-R7? Answer is Euro5. The R6 wouldn’t even pass Euro4, so they could only keep selling it here with the 2017 package all the way up til present. They stopped selling it everywhere else. The R7 is the same engine as the MT-07 but even though it is only $1300 more msrp the bike shortages have the dealers marking them up while they are dealing on MT-07’s and still have 2020 models with the Euro 4 package. So let’s see what we can dig out of this Latest package. Should be interesting. I’ll try to post all the dyno sheets as I get them. I have 3 runs from stock to exhaust and PC5 and then with the DJ air box top with the stock filter. We should have some numbers with the new stuff shortly. But way more important will be how it actually performs. 

PS: I just switched from the Yamalube stock oil to Motul 7100 10-40 full syn. I’ve got 1700 miles on it.  Stayed with the dinosaur oil at 600 miles and decided I needed something more robust for the dyno runs. Expense but it was on sale and I has some rebate bucks from Cycle Gear plus a factory rebate. Check out the riders plus program. It has been saving me a bunch of money. I used to go there to buy helmets because they were/are the only place you can actually try on lids before you buy, but this new program is dope. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, cornerslider said:

I don't understand this... Where else are you going to gain 2-3 HP for less than $300? It seems like the cheapest HP gain to me?

On the track, yes 2-3 HP is a big deal but not on the street. Peak power numbers look great on dyno sheets but its the skill of the rider is where the difference is made.