The MT-07 Forum

ECU Flashing?

Whippinghaus

Whippinghaus

Hi all, I recently installed an exhaust on my bike (Ransoto from Amazon after reading about it on Reddit).

I learned that I need to flash my ECU so I ordered this kit off Revzilla. I have a 2019 MT07. I'm a little lost on where to find the fuel maps for this bike? Some people said they had luck using the Akrapovic map but didn't say exactly where they found said map?

Does anyone know where I should start looking? 

• Like 1

You might consider contacting the vendor of the software, and talk with tech support. Good luck. :)

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
2 hours ago, Whippinghaus said:

Does anyone know where I should start looking? 

I would start by contacting 2 Wheel Dynoworks (2WDW) about if they have dealt with that exhaust for a MT-07. If so, return the kit to Revzilla. Then ship your ECU to 2WDW and enjoy the quality of their flash, and save yourself some money 👍😀

When you call them (425-269-5332), ask them if they are having a 4th of July discount for the FZ/MT-07 forum. They usually do, and it's considerable.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
cornerslider
7 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I would start by contacting 2 Wheel Dynoworks (2WDW) about if they have dealt with that exhaust for a MT-07. If so, return the kit to Revzilla. Then ship your ECU to 2WDW and enjoy the quality of their flash, and save yourself some money 👍😀

When you call them (425-269-5332), ask them if they are having a 4th of July discount for the FZ/MT-07 forum. They usually do, and it's considerable.

I just got my R3 flashed there last week. They have a COVID-19 special for $249. You really can't go wrong with 2WDW. They did an excellent job on my FZ-07 as well-

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

Wow, that is a great price.  The 2WDW tune is one of my favorite upgrades.  They really know what they are doing, and when it comes to tuning I really have no idea what to do.  I do know it is very easy to screw things up and damage an engine if you mess up tuning maps. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 5:08 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

You don't have to do that...I honestly don't recommend that. 

Keep the kit, and have 2WDW send you a flash ($150).

Edited by xfonts
  • Like 2

FZ07R WaNaB
11 hours ago, xfonts said:

You don't have to do that...I honestly don't recommend that. 

Keep the kit, and have 2DWD send you a flash ($150).

That doesn't make any sense at all as you are paying $342 for the kit plus $150 to 2WDW versus $249 for their complete flash. You are essentially pissing away over $200 which could go toward other upgrades for the FZ/MT-07.

The joy of 2WDW's one-and-done flash is that you basically plug in the flashed ECU and instantly get an amazingly smooth motor with more hp/torque plus a bunch of other cool/needed tweaks. Then all you have to do is ride your freaking bike! Plus 2WDW will reflash your bike for only the cost of shipping if you make changes such as a new exhaust.

Do your research on this site as well as the FZ09 site. There a lot of riders who are very happy with their 2WDW flash of which I am one.

To be fair, if the OP is a person with a lot of discretionary money and likes to tinker as well as having a belief that their style of riding needs the perceived benefits of that kit, well have at it. I believe most of the folks who have had the 2WDW flash love the plug-and-play aspect as it gets them out riding instead of screwing around always trying to get the perfect tune.

I sent my ECU off and 5 days later I was riding where I knew within 1/2 of a block I had a completely different motor. 10,000 miles later I'm writing this stupid post because I couldn't be happier with the motor on my FZ. I don't get impressed easily but their flash made me a believer.

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

That doesn't make any sense at all as you are paying $342 for the kit plus $150 to 2WDW versus $249 for their complete flash. You are essentially pissing away over $200 which could go toward other upgrades for the FZ/MT-07.

The joy of 2WDW's one-and-done flash is that you basically plug in the flashed ECU and instantly get an amazingly smooth motor with more hp/torque plus a bunch of other cool/needed tweaks. Then all you have to do is ride your freaking bike! Plus 2WDW will reflash your bike for only the cost of shipping if you make changes such as a new exhaust.

How does that not make sense? There's pros and cons for both..

The pro of having the kit is to be able to do flashes on the fly. You get the same benefit of plug and play, but without sending anything out, they send you the flash itself. You get the agency of being able to instantly change what you need, while still having a complete flash file from 2WDW.

If you don't mind the downtime of sending the ECU out and don't need changes, then yea of course the mail-in option will fit you better, but if you want to ride the bike with minimal downtime, and have the ability to change things on your own, that is worth it to me. Then add on top the option to upgrade to their ActiveTune kit later on in case you do lots of fuel changes or even cross country riding.

Though I find myself regretting not going with WoolichRacing's kit because I want to be able to log discretely, though idk if 2WDW has a file with them.

Edited by xfonts
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I can see both sides of this coin...... I thought I wanted the option to be able to change fueling myself (I used to have a PCV). I even played around with auto-tune on the PCV.  It turns out, I don't like to mess around with fueling like I thought I would? Add to that,  I don't REALLY know what I'm doing, and I didn't really want to take the time to learn it by trial-and-error. For people like myself, the mail-in flash is perfect. I pulled my PCV off my bike, and sold it to another member on this site. I'm very happy with the 2WDW mail-in flash. For those that want to "tinker" with fueling, the mail-in flash probably isn't the best option....

• Like 4

• Global Moderator

I agree with @cornerslider, I would rather let someone who knows what they are doing flash my ECU.  I do not have access to a dyno and would not know what to do with it if I did.  That would leave me downloading tunes from the internet and hoping they work and do not damage my engine.  For the street riding I do I do not need to find the extra small percentage of performance that a racer would want.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
cornerslider

To @Whippinghaus (the original poster).... Sorry if your thread got slightly hijacked here. This is kind of how it goes here. We are actually trying to help each other out. There are many different ways of getting to about the same point. To answer your original question, I do not know where to to start looking for a base map. Sounds like 2WDW may have a base map you can start with if you want the ability to fine tune it yourself. Maybe contact the original vendor you bought the software from? Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you end up doing. Maybe we could all learn something from it. Good luck-

2 hours ago, cornerslider said:

To @Whippinghaus (the original poster).... Sorry if your thread got slightly hijacked here. This is kind of how it goes here. We are actually trying to help each other out. There are many different ways of getting to about the same point. To answer your original question, I do not know where to to start looking for a base map. Sounds like 2WDW may have a base map you can start with if you want the ability to fine tune it yourself. Maybe contact the original vendor you bought the software from? Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you end up doing. Maybe we could all learn something from it. Good luck-

This is probably what isn't being clarified and why some think its an either/or option. The same tune you get by mail in, is the same tune they send you if you want to flash it on your own. It's not a base map, its the identical, full and complete map for your mods.

• Like 1

I've seen a number of people try flash tuning themselves and didn't know what they were doing, they thought it would be simple and found out it can be quite a pita. Just look through the forum and see for yourself. If you have no experience in flash tuning I suggest 2WDW and forego the headache. GL!

• Like 4

Beemer

Whippinghaus

Hi all, thank you for the replies!

I have decided to send back the kit to Revzilla and eventually send the ECU to 2WD2. Reading the replies made me a little nervous about doing it on my own. I'm a bit mechanically inclined but when it comes to the electrical stuff I was a bit anxious to begin with, especially after everyone went uhhh idk what map you should use.

I did take the bike out for a bit of a "long" distance trip, 200 miles/4 hours this weekend and had no issues. It just "pops" when I roll off the throttle... I think it sounds cool, I don't know how much of a detriment to my engine that is but I hope to send it off soon.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 4:42 PM, cornerslider said:

It turns out, I don't like to mess around with fueling like I thought I would?

Same. 

I started from scratch (i.e. started from stock file) and tuned from there. Its interesting and fun for a a bit, while you get it running better and better. Then it feels like a chore vs a vendor flash-n-go , where you could be using that time to ride.  And you can't really change EVERYTHING in the ecu with a flash, which ultimately bothers me anyway. 

• 8 months later...
Whippinghaus

Well, I am reviving this thread and I don't know if it is going to even try and alert you guys sooo... Here we go.

I FINALLY reached out to 2wheeldyno and they were super sweet. They recommended I take out the snorkel for my intake? Is that relatively easy? I read something about it being a concern if you ride in the rain or get it wet... So I'm a lil apprehensive but I would figure they'd know best, right?

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Whippinghaus said:

Well, I am reviving this thread and I don't know if it is going to even try and alert you guys sooo... Here we go.

I FINALLY reached out to 2wheeldyno and they were super sweet. They recommended I take out the snorkel for my intake? Is that relatively easy? I read something about it being a concern if you ride in the rain or get it wet... So I'm a lil apprehensive but I would figure they'd know best, right?

It is very easy to remove the snorkel.  You just need to take off the seat and you can reach in and pull it out.  It is rubber and is attached on each side to plastic nubs, so it will take a bit of tugging.  I have had mine off for a couple of years and have had no problem with rain.  It is very sheltered where it is located. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mjh937 said:

It is very easy to remove the snorkel.  You just need to take off the seat and you can reach in and pull it out.  It is rubber and is attached on each side to plastic nubs, so it will take a bit of tugging.  I have had mine off for a couple of years and have had no problem with rain.  It is very sheltered where it is located. 

What he said. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

6 hours ago, Whippinghaus said:

The snorkel is only there for noise abatement. You'll hear extra intake noise with the snorkel removed, but it's not severe. I pulled my snorkel because I like intake noise, but there's absolutely zero appreciable power to be gained by it. Also, I live on a gravel road and ride year round ( rain, snow, slush) and haven't noticed any issues with anything getting in to the filter with the snorkel removed in the past 25,000 miles. I've had quite a few multi hour (8-16hrs) road trips through driving rain with no issue. 

There's nothing to be gained or lost by pulling the snorkel. 

• 1 month later...
sammywammy
On 7/2/2020 at 2:42 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

That doesn't make any sense at all as you are paying $342 for the kit plus $150 to 2WDW versus $249 for their complete flash. You are essentially pissing away over $200 which could go toward other upgrades for the FZ/MT-07

I have to comment on this, I live in Finland which is far far away from Kirkland lol, meaning buying a FTECU kit and having 2WDW send me the file to flash is just easy. I don't have a car, only my MT so I can't have a day off the bike waiting for my ECU to be shipped around the world 😜

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Whippinghaus

So I'm completely reviving this thread again lol. I finally got it flashed! And now I'm laying in bed and I think I messed up. Nels recommended to remove the snorkel back in March so when I sent my ECU in I said to go-ahead and flash for removed snorkel.

It was late and I was tired, when I put my bike back together after receiving my flash back. The YouTube videos I found regarding the snorkel said to cut the rubber piece of the snorkel that goes down into my intake and screw it back in, so that is what I did.

It was a complete pain in the ass. I had to virtually remove everything, tank included.

Now I'm re-reading this and see where I was supposed to be able to pop it out with no tank removal needed?!

Please forgive me if this is dumb, but it sounds like I need to take the entire rubber piece out including the little elbow that shoots back towards my seat? Am I understanding that correctly? I could have swore the snorkel and air filter cover were one piece. I tried pulling on it before taking the tank apart etc because I couldn't get it to budge because that's what dumb YouTube said.

Man, I wish I would have re-read yesterday. I would have saved myself an hour of frustration messing with this in the 95 degrees GA heat.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Whippinghaus said:

So I'm completely reviving this thread again lol. I finally got it flashed! And now I'm laying in bed and I think I messed up. Nels recommended to remove the snorkel back in March so when I sent my ECU in I said to go-ahead and flash for removed snorkel.

It was late and I was tired, when I put my bike back together after receiving my flash back. The YouTube videos I found regarding the snorkel said to cut the rubber piece of the snorkel that goes down into my intake and screw it back in, so that is what I did.

It was a complete pain in the ass. I had to virtually remove everything, tank included.

Now I'm re-reading this and see where I was supposed to be able to pop it out with no tank removal needed?!

Please forgive me if this is dumb, but it sounds like I need to take the entire rubber piece out including the little elbow that shoots back towards my seat? Am I understanding that correctly? I could have swore the snorkel and air filter cover were one piece. I tried pulling on it before taking the tank apart etc because I couldn't get it to budge because that's what dumb YouTube said.

Man, I wish I would have re-read yesterday. I would have saved myself an hour of frustration messing with this in the 95 degrees GA heat.

You're over thinking it. Take the entire snorkel out and don't worry about it. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I corresponded with 2WDW about flashing my ECU. They told me look for gains of 2-3 hp and torque. For around $100 per hp that isn't a good return for the money. 

A module that will flash the ECU may be a better use of your money.

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, FZWes said:

I corresponded with 2WDW about flashing my ECU. They told me look for gains of 2-3 hp and torque. For around $100 per hp that isn't a good return for the money. 

A module that will flash the ECU may be a better use of your money.

I did not flash my ECU for the power gain but to reduce engine braking and improve power delivery.  The tue did this and is well worth the money in my opinion. 

• Like 4