The MT-07 Forum

"Hissing" noise under acceleration

TheSandman

TheSandman

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum, first post actually. 

I've got a strange noise and was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience or knows if this is actually an issue:

-Bike is a 2018 MT-07, 6000 miles on the odo.  Bought it used 2 months ago with 3600 miles (new chain from dealer at that time).

-Under acceleration I hear what seems like a "hissing" that is more pronounced at lower revs (probably because the engine is quieter) and is also more pronounced from 3rd gear and up until I can't hear it anymore due to wind noise.  Stock exhaust, no earplugs, fairly easy to hear.  No sound during engine braking, idle, or cruising at constant speed.

-I can hear it as I release the clutch while up-shifting and giving it some throttle, indicating that the sound is related to clutch or drivetrain load.  

-Recently adjusted the chain to approx. 55mm from bottom of chain guide lower rib to chain centerline per the manual.  Freshly cleaned and lubricated as well.  Rear alignment marks are within 1/2 of a mark of each other (not sure how useful those are though).

-Didn't notice the sound when I first got on the bike after buying it, seems to be more pronounced now.

Thoughts from anyone or am I just listening way too hard and making up problems??

Is it a mechanical whining? or more "air-like" hissing? 

Is it related to on and off throttle?  i.e. is it easy to manipulate pitch or occurrence? 

What do YOU think it is? (just to start ideas flowin)

Its more than likely nothing to worry about though.

• Global Moderator

@TheSandman, has the intake snorkel been removed?  It sounds like intake noise to me.  Nothing to worry about if it is. 

If it's like a rhythmic "ssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk" (repeats) noise then it's the chain/sprocket/drive line noise and normal as the chain breaks in, wears normally, and ultimately wears out. It's been my experience that the chain/sprocket set makes the least noise when new, the most during its mid life and less again as it nears replacement.

$.02

A good aftermarket exhaust, ear plugs or riding like a goon all fix this problem fwiw. 😉  

• Like 1

TheSandman
2 hours ago, geophb said:

Is it a mechanical whining? or more "air-like" hissing? 

Is it related to on and off throttle?  i.e. is it easy to manipulate pitch or occurrence? 

What do YOU think it is? (just to start ideas flowin)

Its more than likely nothing to worry about though.

Honestly it sounds more air-like.  Almost as if someone is saying "shhhhhhhh".  And yes, it is primarily present under greater throttle input and associated drivetrain load (acceleration).  Fairly easy to manipulate by modulating the throttle too.  Not present at all revving the engine with the clutch disengaged or stationary.

Honestly I was thinking it was probably the chain and that I had over-tightened it or misaligned the rear axle but all of the measurements and indications say it's in spec.  Other than that could it be clutch slippage?  I'd probably feel that (loss of acceleration) rather than hear it though and it still pulls like a mother.

TheSandman
2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@TheSandman, has the intake snorkel been removed?  It sounds like intake noise to me.  Nothing to worry about if it is. 

The intake snorkel has not been removed.  Maybe i'll have a look at that.

TheSandman
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

If it's like a rhythmic "ssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk" (repeats) noise then it's the chain/sprocket/drive line noise and normal as the chain breaks in, wears normally, and ultimately wears out. It's been my experience that the chain/sprocket set makes the least noise when new, the most during its mid life and less again as it nears replacement.

$.02

A good aftermarket exhaust, ear plugs or riding like a goon all fix this problem fwiw. 😉  

It's say it's a fairly continuous "sssshhhhhhhhhhh" when the chain is under load.  The chain has about 2400 miles on it and I adjusted it recently, so you description makes sense.  Just another reason to spring the $$$ for a nice akro!

3 minutes ago, TheSandman said:

It's say it's a fairly continuous "sssshhhhhhhhhhh" when the chain is under load.  The chain has about 2400 miles on it and I adjusted it recently, so you description makes sense.  Just another reason to spring the $$$ for a nice akro!

The "ic" comes on around 4876 miles, the "k" from 9613 until it's back to "sshh" at 16937 to replacement somewhere around 20ish. So to stop me from babbling get the Akro and some nice boots to go with the goon, I mean the pipe. And some gloves, and that's all you need. And maybe a branded hat

Yep akrpovic no baffle or any pipe and you will never hear any other noise while riding 😁

Stock is quieter than a scooter. I swear.

• 1 month later...

I also have a 2018 MT07. I am having the exact same hissing sound under the same conditions. I’m also not sure if it’s something to actually fix or just leave alone. Wondering if you got it figured out.

Edited by Jrsimon25

Mine is on 2nd chain and has done that since new. Its normal chain noise on these. I wouldnt stress. If the chain is in good shape and adjusted properly, i say just ride it

I have a similar noise, under acceleration. I've got a Yosh pipe and I can still hear it, I do have very good hearing tho. Mine kinda started when I put the pipe on after some miles on it and sounded like an exhaust leak. It's still there. I just try to tune it out and turn up the tunes and enjoy the ride. These bikes do have some quirks, but for the price it's worth it. Hope you get it figured out.