Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Airbornedeth

Another bolt on "build"....

Recommended Posts

Airbornedeth
Posted (edited)

This is my brand new 2019 MT07 I picked up 2 weeks ago. The dash has already went out, so I'm going back to the dealer to have that fixed.

20200623_190041.jpg

Edited by Airbornedeth
Info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
Posted (edited)

I have already ordered and received:

K&N air filter

Two Brothers Typhoon full exhaust

Vortex levers

Tail tidy with some inexpensive LED turn signals

Frame sliders

Front axle sliders

Rear axle sliders (I may exchange these for axle spools for a stand)

Dobek fuel controller should be in this week. This is the first bike I'ver ever added aftermarket goodies to, so I'm kind of excited. 

 

 

20200629_183636.jpg

Edited by Airbornedeth
More info
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

Looks like a really nice start!!!! I would advise agains the "inexpensive" LED signals though. I went that route once. They work fine for night ridding, but are barely visible in sunlight. I ended up switching them out for the TST Industries integrated tail light, and some R&G LEDs' for the front. It's a much better option, "lesson learned"....

Too bad about the dash.... I've never heard of anyone having problems with that. I hope it's an easy fix. Welcome to the forum-

  • Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
26 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

TST Industries integrated tail light, and some R&G LEDs' for the front. It's a much better option, "lesson learned".... I'll look at these. If you have a direct link, I would much appreciate it.

Too bad about the dash.... I've never heard of anyone having problems with that. I hope it's an easy fix. Welcome to the forum- Thank you.

The dash lights all work, but the LCD part doesn't show a thing. It went out a few days after I bought it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

I also tried the cheap LED turn signals first.  I changed them for Traf-X ones which I love.  The place I bought them from has gone out of business so I cannot post a link.  I do not want to link to a retailer I have not dealt with.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.Puss

Nice start. I always say when it comes to parts that could make the difference between life and death, like signals, buy quality once.  Youve gotta be seen by the innumerable dummies out there by any and all means. ;)

Ive been very impressed with Rizoma overall.

Enjoy that new ride!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bornagainbiker

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the forum. 😀

  • Thanks 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jgphotoart.pro/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

I got this yesterday, which was the last thing I need to install the exhaust and filter. I was excited to get up this morning and get to work on it, but I felt like poo when I woke up. I was supposed to leave for vacation in New Hampshire tomorrow, and now I'm self quarantining until I get my COVID test results back. Something seems to always come up around the time I've set aside to go on vacation. I also moved this past weekend, so I guess it's a blessing in disguise so I can get my crap together. I'm going to rest today, and plan on installing everything tomorrow. I'll update this thread accordingly once work has commenced. 

20200702_103300.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Update on my dash.

 

It is definitely broken, and is being replaced under warranty. It will be next week before it gets to the dealer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Idle hands and plenty of time has me looking around at different options, considering my whole body aches from this freaking cold and it physically hurts to do anything at all.

 

Has anyone bought the Hyper Pack Bundle from TST Industries? Pros/cons?

 


Save 10% on the hottest parts bundle for your Yamaha FZ-07 / MT-07. The...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rayiam5

I didn't personally buy the TST Hyper pack but the previous owner did. Let me just say I'm grateful he did because it makes everything look so much nicer. Honestly if I didn't get the bike with it all installed I would've bought it myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
Posted (edited)

Well, I didn't get pictures. 

The day started out great. The stock exhaust came off really easily, which should have sent red flags up. Lol I test fitted the Two Brothers Typhoon exhaust, and the headers wouldn't go into the exhaust ports. I fiddled around for a few minutes to see if it was just the angle, but no dice. When I set them next to the stock header, the Two Brothers was about 1/4" off. I tried a ratcheting strap to take the 1/4" in to where it's supposed to be, and my straps kept getting in the way. After looking at 3 different stores to find a smaller ratcheting strap (which I'm sure I already have the smallest ones). I brought out the old trusty 550 cord. I used a straw that I cut to size so the 550 cord wouldn't cut itself, and bam! In it went. The air filter was the biggest PITA, but the Dobek fuel controller was a close second, but only because of the lack of space to get the connectors back on the injectors. It was a simple plug and play otherwise. I also added a charger for my phone, and ran the lead for the battery tender since I was already there.

I also added my axle sliders, and will add the frame sliders once I figure out the best way to support the bike/motor while doing it (unless I'm completely off on how they go on.)

This exhaust is freaking LOUD! I was kind of concerned it was going to be too loud when I first started it up, but I was also in my garage. Thankfully it's not obnoxiously loud. The Dobek unit definitely helps, and the engine braking is significantly less on the base setting. I put about 25 miles on it afterwards, and am pleasantly pleased. 

Pictures to come tomorrow. I'm tired.

 

Edited by Airbornedeth
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

@Airbornedeth, do not overthink the frame sliders.  They will install without supporting the engine, just remove the bolt and immediately replace it with the slider and bolt.  When I did mine the engine did move at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stickshift
7 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@Airbornedeth, do not overthink the frame sliders.  They will install without supporting the engine, just remove the bolt and immediately replace it with the slider and bolt.  When I did mine the engine did move at all. 

Just take out and replace one side at a time... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Frame sliders are in. The only thing I have left is my Vortex levers. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the TST hyper pack, and find a nice LED headlight to replace the stock one, and call it a finished. For now, anyways. My new dash should be in this week, so I think I'm going to be back to a 0 mile bike. Lol I've put at least 400 miles on the bike since I bought it, so if I ever sell it, here it is on the interwebs for someone to find it.

 

She's dirty, but here are 2 pictures to show you what everyone else sees. Yes, the Two Brothers decal is missing, and I have one coming. I've been riding the piss out of it the last week, and this week I'm on vacation and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow and most of Wednesday, I'll be doing the first service this week myself.

20200706_203001.jpg

20200706_203018.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
5 hours ago, Airbornedeth said:

Yes, the Two Brothers decal is missing, and I have one coming.

Unless they're paying you to advertise for them, leave the sticker off.

  • Like 4

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2020 at 2:09 AM, DewMan said:

Unless they're paying you to advertise for them, leave the sticker off.

I didn't buy the decal, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I like the logo, and will mock it up once I get it to see if I like it in the exhaust or my tool box better. 

 

Working a little, and drinking a little. I lost my best friend a year ago today.

20200708_122607.jpg

Edited by Airbornedeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
7 minutes ago, Airbornedeth said:

I didn't buy the decal, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I like the logo, and will mock it up once I get it to see if I like it in the exhaust or my tool box better. 

 

Working a little, and drinking a little. I lost my best friend a year ago today.

 

The toolbox gets my vote. 🖕

 

I'm sorry for your loss. Been there. 

  • Like 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Thank you, Dewman. He was one of those friends you meet once in a lifetime. Luckily, we share another friend. The 3 of us were inseparable from the moment we met in Germany back in 1994.... Thanks goes out to the US Army for that chance meeting.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Looking to black out the headlight and upgrade to an LED. The only thing I've found so far is this one, but I've never heard of the company. Had anyone here upgraded to an aftermarket headlight, and if so what are the pros and cons of it (and a link to the item please)? I don't ride much at night, (that is subject to change at any time, though). I've dropped a good bit on this bike already, and I might as well do this one last thing to "complete" it. 😜

 

Anyways.... I'm about to head out to Deals Gap. I'll try to get some pictures.

Screenshot_20200709-072943_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
4 hours ago, Airbornedeth said:

Looking to black out the headlight and upgrade to an LED. The only thing I've found so far is this one, but I've never heard of the company. Had anyone here upgraded to an aftermarket headlight, and if so what are the pros and cons of it (and a link to the item please)? I don't ride much at night, (that is subject to change at any time, though). I've dropped a good bit on this bike already, and I might as well do this one last thing to "complete" it. 😜

 

Anyways.... I'm about to head out to Deals Gap. I'll try to get some pictures.

 

 

Considering the poor quality output of the OEM bulb, I don't blame you for not riding at night. It didn't take much ambient light from businesses or street light to totally hide the light output of the OEM bulb. More than once, while riding down the street, I'd have to hand check the headlight just to make sure it was still on.

I've got the atoplite on my 2017.  A drop in replacement that was actually easier to install than the Cyciops LED bulb replacement I was using previously. I haven't had it that long so I can't speak to it's long term quality. NOTE: It does not have screws to adjust the aim though. You have to adjust the whole bucket to adjust aim, but that can be problematic since the bucket is mounted at 4 points. to adjust the beam up at all you'll need to get creative.That being said it puts out better light than the original bulb and probably close to that of the cyclops. I got it for that additional marker lights and better than OEM light production.

  • Like 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth

Vortex shorty levers are finally on. I was going to go riding tonight, but mother nature reared her ugly head, so working on the bike it is. Those mirrors need to go.

15944333197365136677418869500884.jpg

15944333485798084465204572906368.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, DewMan said:

 

Considering the poor quality output of the OEM bulb, I don't blame you for not riding at night. It didn't take much ambient light from businesses or street light to totally hide the light output of the OEM bulb. More than once, while riding down the street, I'd have to hand check the headlight just to make sure it was still on.

I've got the atoplite on my 2017.  A drop in replacement that was actually easier to install than the Cyciops LED bulb replacement I was using previously. I haven't had it that long so I can't speak to it's long term quality. NOTE: It does not have screws to adjust the aim though. You have to adjust the whole bucket to adjust aim, but that can be problematic since the bucket is mounted at 4 points. to adjust the beam up at all you'll need to get creative.That being said it puts out better light than the original bulb and probably close to that of the cyclops. I got it for that additional marker lights and better than OEM light production.

There are 2 options for the FZ/MT07, and both says it doesn't fit the 2018 and up. They didn't change the headlight between the name change, did they?

Edited by Airbornedeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
12 minutes ago, Airbornedeth said:

There are 2 options for the FZ/MT07, and both says it doesn't fit the 2018 and up. They didn't change the headlight between the name change, did they?

According to the listing I bought mine from on Amazon, there's one model for 2014-2017 and another for 2018+ model. 

Here's the one for the the 2018+ model:

link isn't displaying correctly but will take you to the correct location.

Let me know if you have any other questions.


DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airbornedeth
5 minutes ago, DewMan said:

According to he listing I bought mine from on Amazon, there's one model for 2014-2017 and another for 2018+ model. 

Here's the one for the the 2018+ model:

link isn't displaying correctly but will take you to the correct location.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ahh. It says it's for the 09, but in the description it says 07 as well. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.