The MT-07 Forum

Dash Backlight

whaleish

I tried to use the search function, but couldn't find my issue so forgive me if I am in the wrong there. I just picked up a 2016 FZ 07 a couple days ago and I am having a blast. Did a 70 or so mile ride yesterday and noticed on the way back that the backlight on the dash isn't working. I have tried adjusting the brightness setting; checked and reseated the cable; and opened it up to see if there was anything obvious. I didn't lift up the actual LCD to check the LEDs behind it though.

Is there something I'm missing? I don't know if there's a series of button presses to toggle the light on/off?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers

I take it the previous owner didn’t mention it was broken? 
You can check the fuse, specifically the ignition fuse. Fuses are on page 8-157 of the manual.  Although I’d imagine there would be other things not working. Then check the wiring. Then see if you can swap a meter with someone and/or replace it with a new or used one if you can find one.

Here’s a snapshot of the schematic from the manual. This is for an XSR but I think it’s the same. Schematic is in the last pages of the manual. 
Good luck!   

Edit: it’s a Red wire with sets of 2xwhite dots/stripes. 

image.jpg

Edited by RobZilla

Try fuses like Robzilla said. Though that fuse is attached to the neutral indicator light, so if that works then its not that fuse obviously. 

I don't think you can turn the back light off completely so its probably not a setting.  I doubt the leds are bad or "burned out" as that takes thousands of hours, unless early failure or damage. 

Maybe a solder issue on the board?  I would think it would be intermittent though if that was the case.

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the all of the fuses in the two small boxes under the seat and they all seem to be intact. The neutral light does work as well.

I got it from a local used lot and didn't even think about the dash not being on because it was during the day. I suppose I'll pull it apart again and take a look at the actual LEDs under the LCD. Maybe try reseating the ribbon cable.

Would it be possible to get a higher res of that photo? The keystroke Win+Shift+S opens the snipping tool and you can drag a box that will then be copied to the clipboard. If I can figure out which pin on the plug would correspond to the backlight I could put a meter on it to verify that it's supplying power at least.

Cheers

I think this is the right connector. Unfortunately, it does not have pinouts just the wire colors. We can’t post the manual on here due to copywrite and whatnot, but that can’t stop you from google searching it for free.

299376F8-A5AE-49E9-918E-993267FFB1F0.png

FF70DB5B-40B3-4BC7-AFA5-37C0BD46A643.png

0C1C53C0-E854-47D8-AD06-4794F356FE2D.png

B4ED491E-1450-434F-AE43-20074E7E2DB4.jpeg

00721968-1DCF-47CE-AA2B-CD9392DBA1FC.png

Edited by RobZilla

This is perfect. You mentioned it was red/white so I can go from there.

Thanks a bunch. I'll report back if I figure out what the issue is.

• 3 weeks later...
GoombaDeluxe

Currently have the same issue and have been dealing with no backlight. Curious if you checked the soldering and solved your problem yet.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Same issue on my 2015, about 40,000 + miles. Only the backlight is out.

Anybody have success figuring this out?