The MT-07 Forum

Sheltered in place for 3 months = battery is dead.

msb06c

"Neglected" battery due to sheltering in place for 100 days = battery is dead. Will it recover?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will a high quality battery survive a total discharge?

• Battery is toast
    • Battery should be fine

Good luck charging any battery with a tender. Its called a charge maintainer for a reason.  

The manual just states its a valve regulated lead acid battery (aka maintenance free or sealed). Any automotive charger with a maintenance free function will charge it.

Lithium batteries require constant current charging with varying voltage.  Some lithium replacement batteries have this circuitry built in to allow charging from basic auto chargers. Some do not.

DO NOT switch up the leads on any battery or you WILL blow the voltage regulator.  I know because I have done it. 

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

i will say this to offset the nonsense being spewed forth for our entertainment by a certain someone. 
I have had a Shorai LiFePo4 battery in my bike since 2015. it has been sitting now since middle of December due to a lay-off and was extended when covid situation picked up here in Phoenix as well as other times throughout the now 5+ years ive had this battery,  I started it last week to ride to a Dr's appt, bike fired up on the first crank, no lag or drop in amperage according to the meter.  LiPo batteries are safe unless you catch them on fire/overheat them, or hook them up backwards. 
As for the mention that the OEM YTZ10s battery is AGM, it is not. The YTZ10s is a Flooded and Sealed Lead-Acid battery  with AGM tech, i apologize for my misinformation

Please follow general safety precautions when handling 12v systems. The angry pixies are always willing to hurt you.

• Like 5

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, sorkyah said:

The angry pixies are always willing to hurt you.

A wise canadian mystery man has warned me about those pixies before... but he also told me to throw out those safety precautions ;]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tjern said:

A wise canadian mystery man has warned me about those pixies before... but he also told me to throw out those safety precautions ;]

This the same man that tells people to keep their d!ck in a vise?

@geophb the one and only. Arguably my favorite personality on the interwebs, and then I became a controls engineer and it only got worse.

You get looks in the office when tell someone a belimo actuator motor is skookum as f%ck. At least in NY.

(sorry for the minor thread de-rail, I blame @sorkyah) But thank you for protecting the innocent by editing those posts.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, msb06c said:

So back to the idiot diary:

the battery was absolutely toast. Typically if AGM battery has fallen below 80% charge it’s time to start thinking about replacing. 

my battery would take a surface charge up to about 10v  but that would quickly drop back to a pitiful 4 volts. I was using an 8amp car charger which claimed an “8 amp charge and 2 amp maintence charge” and I had my battery on that for two (2) separate 3-4 hour sessions.  

I went and got another Yuasa (paid almost twice what it costs on amazon but hey) which at the store measured 12.9v.  It took a small 45 min trickle at 750 mah to read 13v. 

conclusion: 3 months is way, way too long to leave a motorcycle sitting. I think we all kinda knew that 🤪

Glad to see you did what was required.  Use a full on charger.   You would have found similar results if tested on a machine.  That was why I mentioned it.  We would test for free, no problem.

I think your battery had an abnormal problem.  Both my bikes sat for 2-3 months this winter and a stint on the tender brought them back up.  They didn't totally go flat.  But it never hurts to keep it up on a tender.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:26 AM, geophb said:

Good luck charging any battery with a tender. Its called a charge maintainer for a reason.  

The manual just states its a valve regulated lead acid battery (aka maintenance free or sealed). Any automotive charger with a maintenance free function will charge it.

Lithium batteries require constant current charging with varying voltage.  Some lithium replacement batteries have this circuitry built in to allow charging from basic auto chargers. Some do not.

DO NOT switch up the leads on any battery or you WILL blow the voltage regulator.  I know because I have done it. 

One note on the car charger - you do not apply the full 10Ah charge most car chargers can do.  Even the lower 2Ah is too much for most batteries.  The charge should be no more than 10% the Ah rating of the battery.  That article I listed earlier pointed out how to use the 2Ah and a test light to get the Ah charge rate to an acceptable level.   The light takes part of the charge, allowing the proper amount for the bike battery.   

There are some regular motorcycle battery chargers and chargers with variable  Ah levels.

The battery tenders, as you say, are not to bring up a flat battery, but rather to maintain the charge. 

In reading on the Lithium batteries they do have differences users need to know if they are using or thinking about using one.   As for me, all I know about lithium batteries is they hold a charge a long time in my power hand tools...  really long time.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:17 AM, klx678 said:

One note on the car charger - you do not apply the full 10Ah charge most car chargers can do.  Even the lower 2Ah is too much for most batteries.  The charge should be no more than 10% the Ah rating of the battery.  That article I listed earlier pointed out how to use the 2Ah and a test light to get the Ah charge rate to an acceptable level.   The light takes part of the charge, allowing the proper amount for the bike battery.   

There are some regular motorcycle battery chargers and chargers with variable  Ah levels.

The battery tenders, as you say, are not to bring up a flat battery, but rather to maintain the charge. 

In reading on the Lithium batteries they do have differences users need to know if they are using or thinking about using one.   As for me, all I know about lithium batteries is they hold a charge a long time in my power hand tools...  really long time.

I agree. 

10amp is too much for even car batteries.  A lot of car chargers are automatic though, so that helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:19 AM, sorkyah said:

i will say this to offset the nonsense being spewed forth for our entertainment by a certain someone. 
I have had a Shorai LiFePo4 battery in my bike since 2015. it has been sitting now since middle of December due to a lay-off and was extended when covid situation picked up here in Phoenix as well as other times throughout the now 5+ years ive had this battery,  I started it last week to ride to a Dr's appt, bike fired up on the first crank, no lag or drop in amperage according to the meter.  LiPo batteries are safe unless you catch them on fire/overheat them, or hook them up backwards. 
As for the mention that the OEM YTZ10s battery is AGM, it is not. The YTZ10s is a Flooded Lead-Acid battery, as our resident physics professor stated it is a maintenance free/sealed battery but not an Adsorbent Glass Matt battery.

Please follow general safety precautions when handling 12v systems. The angry pixies are always willing to hurt you.

My OEM Yuasa YTZ10S battery on my '17 FX-07 went dead also, trying to bring it back now. I looked at the Yuasa web site before I charged it to see if it was a standard or AGM battery, it said the YTZ series battery is a "AGM" battery, see the attached clip from the Yuasa website:

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.53.36 AM.png

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

• Global Moderator

i stand corrected. post has been edited

sorry @geophb

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

18 hours ago, sorkyah said:

i stand corrected. post has been edited

sorry @geophb

My post still stands. 👍 🙃

Edited by geophb