The MT-07 Forum

Is MT-07 good option?

JustANewbie

JustANewbie

Hello everyone

I'm a new rider from europe with a2 license (up to 48 hp/35kW). So i'm looking for mi first bike. I'v been riding alot on 50cc and had some time on Mt 07 (it was restricted to 35 kW) while i was doing my license. I really liked it. 

So heres why i came to you. With my license i'm able to ride restricted version of MT-07. Also im thinking about cbr500r and ninja 400. It's really hard to make decision wich bike should i get. 

Also i can get full motorcycle license in next year so after this year (maybe 2 years depends on how much free time i will have) i could unlock Mt and have full power bike instead of buying a new to replace other ones. 

Can you, an experienced bikers, give me and advice? I know about gear, i have everything i need to ride a bike. I don't want to ride without proper prorection. But i really dont know wich bike will be the best option. 

Im 185 cm tall and weight about 70kg. I want to 

Also im sorry for any mistakes i made, English is not my native language. 

Ride safe everyone!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'm from the USA, and mildly familiar with A2 license requirements. Do you have any previous motorcycle experience (like dirt/off-road riding)? I only ask because most newer riders struggle with the use of the clutch.... I own both an FZ-07 (for the track), and an R3 (for the street). The R3 is much more forgiving clutch feel, and is much easier to ride smoothly. The weight difference between the two is minimal,  less than 20 pounds. I can't speak about the restricted version of the MT-07, as I never ridden one. The unrestricted version has a lot of torque at low RPM, and can be harder fro newer riders to handle. I personally, would recommend the MT-03. You could probably buy a used one on your side of the pond, ride it for a year and not lose much money on it. Most new riders will "drop" their bike at some point. The MT-03 is really inexpensive to fix if you do drop it. If you buy used, you probably won't feel as bad if/when you do drop it..... Then once you have more experience, you can "treat yourself" to a new unrestricted MT-07!!! Just my 2 cents-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
cornerslider

BTW: Welcome to the forum!!!! 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

There was recently a thread similar to this relating to Australian LAMS (restricted bikes).  There are so many exciting low power low weight bikes, I personally wouldn't recommend getting a restricted MT-07.  I'd prefer to get a bike designed to make the power it does, with the benefit of being 30 kg lighter.  The Z400/ninja 400 and MT-03/R3 are very exciting bikes that I believe fit the A2 requirements.

Edited by clinical
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Although an older thread, I wanted follow up because I recently learned that early EU Restricted MT-07s were very easy to modify to full power simply by removing a restriction in how far the throttle plate can open (unlike australian LAMS bikes).  If you're dealing with one of these bikes, I say go for the restricted version!