ahnorris13

Dirt Roads

ahnorris13
Anyone ride their FZ-07 on dirt roads.  Looking to find out how the bike would slide when using the back breaks and accelerating hard I went riding on some red dirt roads.  The bike was very predictable, fun on the dirt road.  Has anyone tried putting so 75/25 on road / off road tires on the bike?  

tanner68
I hope this thread grows. I am interested in this too. I will hit some local fire roads and report later.

Cruizin
I have taken the FZ-09 on forest service roads. Keep in mind, our suspensions are very weak, and mine bottoms out really hard. I ended up standing most of the time.

Allan
Other than some clearance issues with the exhaust, the suspension being to weak and not having knobby tire, our FZs would make great dirt bikes. They definatly have the torque for it and I feel would be awesome for dirt roads if the proper upgrades were made.

reaper308
On the sandy clay roads here in northwest Florida I ride mine it does fine

adamb
The oil filter hanging out in the breeze freaks me out, but I still have gone down a few FS roads. Not as much fun as my 450 is on them, but still entertaining none the less.

tanner68
Road just 8 miles of FS fire roads today. Was puttering along in just 1st and 2nd and at low rpms. Bike was north of 200 degrees the whole time. Clearance was an issue with a few big ruts. And street tires make it all tricky. But it was a fun change up to my normal riding. Anyone else have dirt adventures lately?

hobbs
Road just 8 miles of FS fire roads today. Was puttering along in just 1st and 2nd and at low rpms. Bike was north of 200 degrees the whole time. Clearance was an issue with a few big ruts. And street tires make it all tricky. But it was a fun change up to my normal riding. Anyone else have dirt adventures lately?

2e4vgqb.jpg

Motomatt

Sorry I'm late to the party.   I've got Shinko 705's on my fz.  Put a radiator guard on and have sent it up all sorts of dirt roads and sandpits.   Check me out on IG Itsbeermatt or Search Matthew Lewis on the FZ07 riders Facebook Page.   I'm going to get a Higdonion cage with belly pan this coming season and go even further offroad.   It's just the oil filter and headers that scare me.

Beemer

Ha, I didn't look at the date, just responding to the new post which was also fashionably late. I've ridden mine (stock bike) several times in soft, powdery dirt and hard packed dirt roads with some gravel. With a stock FZ-07, this bike does not handle well in the powdery stuff so I highly recommend to avoid it. I recently road on a dirt/gravel road and it handled fine. It was only when I purposely broke the rear end loose to do a power slide in a turn did the rear end slide out to the side. Oh, and when I did standing start drag style starts and throwing dirt and gravel everywhere but it was controllable, for me. I don't know about you or your skill level. Normal riding/cruising went well. The suspension can be a little jarring but not unlike riding off-road so I personally am used to that. Others may want to improve their suspension for a smoother ride. At one point along a certain stretch of road where it was straight as an arrow and no side roads or driveways I found myself doing 85 but it didn't feel like it so I thought to myself, why not see what 100 feels like so I kicked it up to 100 and it was a little shaky but still, controllable. Not all dirt roads are the same, this one was light on the gravel and hard packed so not much trouble with it. Softer dirt and more gravel spells trouble. Be careful, wear your knickers!