The MT-07 Forum

Fork Spring Change

JackTrades

The post people refer to about finding the correct spring rate seems to be missing. Im looking to change my springs and add a heavier oil weight. Im about 220. Whats your recommendations? Are there major differences between the actual springs between companies?

FZ07R WaNaB
8 hours ago, JackTrades said:

The post people refer to about finding the correct spring rate seems to be missing. Im looking to change my springs and add a heavier oil weight. Im about 220. Whats your recommendations? Are there major differences between the actual springs between companies?

I'm around your weight, and have changed both my oil and springs. I run Sonic springs using one at 90kg and the other at 95kg. This was suggested to me by a suspension guy (pattonme) on the forum. He has a quantity of those springs, and was willing to sell me one of each weight. I'm not sure if Sonic will sell separates, but PM me if they won't, and I'll get you in touch with pattonme. He will likely charge you $80 plus shipping for the set.

My oil is a 50/50 blend of Bel Ray 10w and 15w. The combination of the springs and the heavier oil made a huge difference. I would recommend anyone to try this first before putting out the big bucks for cartridges. The ride is seriously better. I should qualify that my FZ-07 is a 2016. In 2018, Yamaha made some changes to the forks, so you might want to contact Sonic if your bike is 2018+. There are likely some forum folks that have the newer MT's who might have some experience on this.

BTW, here's a link to Sonic's FZ-07 chart. You can see that a 90/95 spring setup makes sense for your weight.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_285&osCsid=d527ceb02fe8aeea0fb6b29dfaed84fc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I'm around your weight, and have changed both my oil and springs. I run Sonic springs using one at 90kg and the other at 95kg. This was suggested to me by a suspension guy (pattonme) on the forum. He has a quantity of those springs, and was willing to sell me one of each weight. I'm not sure if Sonic will sell separates, but PM me if they won't, and I'll get you in touch with pattonme. He will likely charge you $80 plus shipping for the set.

My oil is a 50/50 blend of Bel Ray 10w and 15w. The combination of the springs and the heavier oil made a huge difference. I would recommend anyone to try this first before putting out the big bucks for cartridges. The ride is seriously better. I should qualify that my FZ-07 is a 2016. In 2018, Yamaha made some changes to the forks, so you might want to contact Sonic if your bike is 2018+. There are likely some forum folks that have the newer MT's who might have some experience on this.

BTW, here's a link to Sonic's FZ-07 chart. You can see that a 90/95 spring setup makes sense for your weight.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_285&osCsid=d527ceb02fe8aeea0fb6b29dfaed84fc

Why different springs? Is one side of the bike heavier than the other? Also i have a 2015. I was actually thinking of going full 15w. Have you compared your blend to just 15? I ride in the winter alot so the blend may be a better option for me

Edited by JackTrades

22 hours ago, JackTrades said:

Why different springs? Is one side of the bike heavier than the other? Also i have a 2015. I was actually thinking of going full 15w. Have you compared your blend to just 15? I ride in the winter alot so the blend may be a better option for me

When forks are bolted together your spring rate will be average of 2, in this case .925. Mixing springs is how you get rate that is not available to buy. Springs come in .05 steps.

• Like 2

While on the subject of spring rates, anyone have a similar chart for the rear shock spring rate? I’m looking at the ktech rear shock and they say they have various spring rates. I’m looking for something to support me in the 200-220lb range. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RobZilla said:

While on the subject of spring rates, anyone have a similar chart for the rear shock spring rate? I’m looking at the ktech rear shock and they say they have various spring rates. I’m looking for something to support me in the 200-220lb range. 

IIRC It's a pretty wide range of weights for each due to the preload adjustability and yours would be the 200-250lb range, easy. Plus if you go through @bellissimotoyou can just tell Paul your weight and he will relay to k-tech and they'll select it for you. Talk to them.

Not sure which k-tech shocks you're looking at but for the razer line they are the same.

For what its worth I absolutely love my R-lite.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Tjern and that’s what I plan to do. BuT I’d still like to know what rear shock spring rates correlate to recommended weight if anyone has or can find that info. I see ranges from 100-150N from ktech. 

• Like 1

In general for every 30# you increase spring rate one step. In most cases companies have default rate for 160-190# rider and go from there. Example, if recommended rate for 160-190 rider is 700# spring than 220 rider would use 750 spring.

• Thanks 1

Yakko Warner
On 6/13/2020 at 11:19 AM, JackTrades said:

Also forgot to ask if anybody has cut their spacer/replaced it

I ended up getting cartridges, so I haven't cut or made new spacers, but doing so would allow you to change your preload.  All you need is a pipe or tube cutter, a deburring tool, and some schedule 40 or 80 pipe if you don't want to cut the existing spacer.

You could use the original spacers and measure your sag.  Then cut new spacers to adjust your sag.  That was my original plan.