The MT-07 Forum

Tools to carry on a road trip?

lilneddy

Hi everyone. I am going on a short road trip through washington/idaho. Its only a short 6 day ride. What tools should I carry? What size wrenches/allen keys should I keep with me at all times on a road trip? 

I already have some stuff cobbled together, like a pump and tire fix kit. Looking for a minimal amount of weight and size to get out of tight spots. 

Credit card AND cash!  JohnSmith at the local towing garage may not accept debit cards. 

Honestly, the only tools I travel with are whatever it takes to get to my battery/fuses, a spare key and a flat repair kit. There's likely very little we can fix roadside on an ECU controlled bike. I've never used my flat repair kit on my own tires, but was able to help a stranded rider get going again one time

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was a Boy Scout so along with what @shinyribs said the following would be a list of tools I've packed on anything more than a day trip:

You'll want 4,5,6 & 8mm hex wrenches/sockets. 8,10,12,13, 19(deep) 27(deep) mm sockets. The deep sockets are for axles. A ratchet and extension(s) #2 Philips screwdriver & needle nose pliers. Along with your patch kit this should take care of almost all roadside repairs. 

All the above at minimum.

utility knife, electrical tape, spare fuses, spare master link, collapsible funnel  and a couple rags will also be nice to have.
Don't forget something to clean bug guts off your visor  as well. 

Enjoy the trip.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

FZ07R WaNaB
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

You'll want 4,5,6 & 8mm hex wrenches/sockets. 8,10,12,13, 19(deep) 27(deep) mm sockets. The deep sockets are for axles. A ratchet and extension(s) #2 Philips screwdriver & needle nose pliers.

Seeing that the rear axle nut gets torqued down to 75 ft/lbs, you really want to have a breaker bar, unless you have a badass 1/2" ratchet wrench. This goes for both loosening it and tightening it. Plus, if you have the Gillies Ti axle nut, don't forget that small allen/hex wrench for the locking mechanism.

Another thought, which I do, is to bring your stock brake and clutch levers with you as well as the proper wrenches to change them. This is assuming that you have put better levers on your bike. If not, get yourself a spare clutch lever as you will be pretty screwed if you lay the bike down and trash your clutch lever.

I have this plug w inflators kit with me at all times. It fits perfectly in that space beneath the rear seat.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/stop-go-tubeless-tire-plugger-with-co2

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

Besides a small leather bag of universal tools such as needle nose pliers, small screw drivers, an adjustable end wrench, a set of metric Allen wrenches, tire plugs with CO2, I carry along an extra bungie cord, duct tape, and Shoe Goo.  And, one of those super thin thermal blankets.  They're like tin.  If i get in a pinch, I can use the Shoe Goo to start a fire; it's very flammable.   If there's a sudden snow storm on a pass somewhere (it happens), and I need to get off the road, that blanket and glue will come in pretty handy (don't forget matches or lighter).   Hey, if you have a carrier failure of some sort, that extra bungie cord and tape can be a real life saver.   All of it takes up about 1/3 of one of my saddle bags.

FZ07R WaNaB
19 minutes ago, rfmueller said:

And, one of those super thin thermal blankets.  They're like tin.  If i get in a pinch, I can use the Shoe Goo to start a fire; it's very flammable.   If there's a sudden snow storm on a pass somewhere (it happens), and I need to get off the road, that blanket and glue will come in pretty handy

I came across these two a couple of years ago. The bivy is basically a sleeping bag that reflects your body heat inward. The tent keeps the elements off you and also reflects your heat inward. They are dirt cheap, weigh little and take up a minimal amount of room.

Does this sound like overkill... well imagine you are riding at night, and either you get in a wreck or your bike craps out on you. You are on a secondary road with no houses/businesses anywhere close to you, plus no cell phone coverage. This is not an unrealistic scenario. Hypothermia can happen at much higher temps than most people realize. These will get you through to daylight.

https://www.gotimegear.com/products/life-bivy-emergency-sleeping-bag

https://www.gotimegear.com/products/life-tent-survival-shelter

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lilneddy said:

Hi everyone. I am going on a short road trip through washington/idaho. Its only a short 6 day ride. What tools should I carry? What size wrenches/allen keys should I keep with me at all times on a road trip? 

I already have some stuff cobbled together, like a pump and tire fix kit. Looking for a minimal amount of weight and size to get out of tight spots. 

6 days?  That's quite a ride actually; especially if it's your first long road trip.  Yer gonna have a very sore seat!  Your shoulders are going to begin cursing you the 2nd day.  Your ears from the plugs are going to ache.  It's all part of the experience.  😆  You may want to consider bringing along some of your favorite over-the-counter pain killers; asprin, etc.  Also, if you use foam ear plugs, carry several different shapes so you can swap them out.  

I know of plenty of guys that love long road trips, but for me personally, 3 days is about the longest, and I'm ready to head for the barn.  And, on any trip longer than 1/2 day, I prefer to ride alone.  There's just nothing quite like finding a forgotten road, stopping, and peeing.

Oh I have been on a few longer trips up to 10 days. But I dont normally prepare well for them. This time I feel like I should not press my luck. Its best to prepare for the worst but expect the best. 

• Like 1

My emergency stuff...for bikes older than 30 years :)

IMG_20200420_141539.thumb.jpg.5188c68e7591682dbba06be80221be3b.jpg

On a modern Yamaha....maybe something to tighten the rear mirrors, cable ties, knife, electrical tape...for whatever.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:37 PM, DewMan said:

I was a Boy Scout so along with what @shinyribs said the following would be a list of tools I've packed on anything more than a day trip:

You'll want 4,5,6 & 8mm hex wrenches/sockets. 8,10,12,13, 19(deep) 27(deep) mm sockets. The deep sockets are for axles. A ratchet and extension(s) #2 Philips screwdriver & needle nose pliers. Along with your patch kit this should take care of almost all roadside repairs. 

All the above at minimum.

utility knife, electrical tape, spare fuses, spare master link, collapsible funnel  and a couple rags will also be nice to have.
Don't forget something to clean bug guts off your visor  as well. 

Enjoy the trip.

Wow  you sound  very well Organized..  also  Try  not to hit a Deer like I did..  Jumped out a corn field and ran as  fast as it could to cross the road..  I broke the Deer's  back and went  for a  50  MPH skid ..

DSC_0394.JPG

Edited by Skibum4106
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Skibum4106 said:

Wow  you sound  very well Organized..  also  Try  not to hit a Deer like I did..  Jumped out a corn field and ran as  fast as it could to cross the road..  I broke the Deer's  back and went  for a  50  MPH skid ..

Ouch!

Umm you may need a few more tools to buff that out. 😆

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

New  Forks   $208.00  Each  Ohlin  Cartilage  kit  $800.  )  Ohlin  is  very proud of their stuff.    Have not installed them yet  so  don't know how  much improvement I will  get..
  Doss Moss Tuning claims  change the  spacer height and  use  thicker  fork oil and you are  good to go..
  Ohlin  uses  light oil and their valving..

• Premium Member
cornerslider
24 minutes ago, Skibum4106 said:

New  Forks   $208.00  Each  Ohlin  Cartilage  kit  $800.  )  Ohlin  is  very proud of their stuff.    Have not installed them yet  so  don't know how  much improvement I will  get..
  Doss Moss Tuning claims  change the  spacer height and  use  thicker  fork oil and you are  good to go..

Ohlins makes very nice stuff.... Dave Moss's spacer cut-down is a Band-aid (at best) 🙄-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Skibum4106 said:

You don't use the spacer with the Ohlins cartridge kit, its quite a difference, I'm Ohlins F&R and i love it.

• Like 1

Thanks  ,  yes  I know    Ohlin  is a  complete Cartridge  kit  that   "YOU MUST  USE ONLY OHLIN "  FORK  OIL IN.

IT   took me some time  on Google to find out that I think Ohlin  uses    5Wt  oil I had already ordered  2 quarts of  Bel-Ray 10 WT  so now I have both in stock  at  half the price of Genuine  Ohlin Oil

I am  sure  anything is  better than  OEM  Yamaha  Fish oil ..  that's  the running joke  about  Yamaha  fish oil ..    from what I have heard  name  Brand  Aftermarket  oil is a  lot  better 

• Premium Member

Holy thread derailleur Batman! 😆 

• Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, fzar said:

You don't use the spacer with the Ohlins cartridge kit, its quite a difference, I'm Ohlins F&R and i love it.

What is  F&R   ???

27 minutes ago, fzar said:

Front & Rear!!!

Oh   you  added  Ohlin Suspension to your bike both Front and Rear.. I got it now ..

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Skibum4106 said:

Oh   you  added  Ohlin Suspension to your bike both Front and Rear.. I got it now ..

Correct.  It helps a lot.

• Like 1