The MT-07 Forum

Tire mounting at home with Mojo tools

Bigturbomax

Bigturbomax

a friend of my had the harbor freight car tire changing stand collecting dust in his garage. I picked that up for free and purchased the motorcycle changer adaptor from there and mounted it up. I used that set up once to install a patch plug on my rear tire. I used regular spoons and pieces of milk jug to protect the wheel. I balanced the tire the old school way with jack stands and sticky weights. Got the job done but left a lot to be desired. 

So....i hit up Mitch Patrie of Mojo fame online lol. I ordered a set of mojo blocks and a mojo lever from him. His product is designed to work with this stand. Google mojolever and youll find a ton of folks happy with his stuff. Its basically like a poor mans no mar set up. Ill let yall know how the stuff works next week when mount my buddys kawasaki tires. So far Mitch is super responsive to questions via email and gave me tracking for my items within an hour of placing an order. Im excited to used the stuff once in comes in. 

I also made some changes to the bead breaker to prevent scratches 

20200530_132258.jpg

• Like 3

When I was riding a lot I had a nomar tire changer system, absolutely incredible, makes life so much easier, I ended up changing tires for all my friends as well, which I didn't mind as it was so easy

I actually bought the mojo lever early on as it was far superior to the nomar tire lever.

Edited by zvez

Bigturbomax

Good to know you were impressed with the Mojo lever. Makes me even more confident about my purchase lol!

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

I wanna put out a disclaimer first, i am in no way affiliated with the maker of these tools, I'm just a darn happy customer and wanna share my experience with you guys.

Got my Mojo blocks and installed them to the machine. Got to try out the Mojo lever yesterday for the first time. Absolutely rad tool. Mounted front and rear tires on my friends Z650 and I am blown away by the ease of use of the Mojo lever. Just popped the old tires off like it was nothing. I balanced with a traditional gravity balance stand and sticky weights. The whole job took 2 hours start to finish. This included a test drive of my friends Kawi(never rode that model and he was cool enough to let me try it out), lots of BS-ing with my buddy, removing and reinstalling wheels and learning how to use a new tool. 

Ill write more specifics later but just wanted to say, money well spent. I'm really happy i got this set up now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL, you'll find all your riding buddies will want you to change tires for them. I did it because I liked the practice and also enjoyed (except for goldwing tires, never again!).

Probably changed more than a 100plus tires, the biggest plus besides savings is I would take more care with the wheels so paint wouldn't get damaged. The mojo lever is spectacular and makes it very easy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Anyone using the mojoblocks along with the HF tire changer who'd like to offer an opinion on them?

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Bigturbomax
5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Anyone using the mojoblocks along with the HF tire changer who'd like to offer an opinion on them?

Thats exactly what i am using. They are excellent. Holds the wheel securely and doesn't hurt the finish at all. I strongly recommend them as without them the wheel WILL get scratched and it WON'T stay in place. The Mojo blocks are required equipment in my book. 

20200605_133314.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

Thats exactly what i am using. They are excellent. Holds the wheel securely and doesn't hurt the finish at all. I strongly recommend them as without them the wheel WILL get scratched and it WON'T stay in place. The Mojo blocks are required equipment in my book. 

20200605_133314.jpg

Yeah a friend had just the harbor freight set up (before mojo was in business) and I didn't like the HF set up at all, too easy to damage the wheel as  I recall. I actually opted for the full NOMAR setup and added the mojo lever later. The HF with mojo bits (the mojo lever is a must have), is a great less expensive option.

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

Agreed, im about $250 all in. Less the half off the cheapest no marr. And dont get me wrong, im sure the no marr set up is objectively better all round, but for my personal use and a handful of friends, im damn happy with this set up. Its already just about paid for itself in my eyes. 

• Like 1