The MT-07 Forum

Ergonomics Advice

InsaneDawe

InsaneDawe

Looking for some ergonomics advice, I'm 5'11" 180 lbs with bunch of mods. The bike has a sweet spot when I'm all the way forward on the seat, balls of my feet, leaning over the tank.  Kinda like this pose but more forward lean and on the balls of my feet instead of covering the shifter.

Inked20200529_182220_LI.thumb.jpg.7da10ccc9819b3c2a84b38c2c3e7df58.jpg

Sitting in the middle or rear of the seat doesn't feel right.  Debating if rear sets would make me more comfortable by feet lower and more towards the rear. Currently my knee grips in the area in orange and it's hard to grip the tank. I think my knees are supposed to near the area in blue where the tank grips are at.

Or is this all caused by an un-tuned suspension? More rear pre-load and/or remove front preload and/or add length to the rear shock.

Up-and-back bar risers are worth considering? If they moved you back on the seat then it is just a question of rear sets? Maybe rotate the bars? 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

I agree with robbo10, you're sitting too far forward as though you're in a super moto race, which is fine if you're riding hard where you have to maneuver quickly but it's not ideal for relaxed riding with time in the saddle. If you sit back some your knees will relax a bit and not be as bent and with up & back risers you should be more comfortable sitting back. You're butt will thank you for it on those longer rides.

Beemer

InsaneDawe

I think I solved the problem, it is suspension related. The sweet spot I was describing had to do with the bike front rear balance. Backed out 2mm on the front pre-load and it made all the difference. 

I still feel like I need to be all the way up to and on the tank to be in an aggressive body position. My knees are a little cramped and I don't feel like I have much "tank" to hold onto but with this better suspension setting that stuff matters less.

On 5/30/2020 at 7:44 AM, robbo10 said:

Up-and-back bar risers are worth considering? If they moved you back on the seat then it is just a question of rear sets? Maybe rotate the bars? 

When I'm cruising, I can sit back to the middle or rear of the seat comfortably. Knees slightly cramped but it doesn't bother me until hour or two in.

• Like 1

I use 1 1/2" backward,  1" upward risers.  I also built a seat pad that levels the seat out.  Some weight is still resting on my arms, but that's okay.  They're SWMOTECH handle bar risers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rfmueller said:

I use 1 1/2" backward,  1" upward risers.  I also built a seat pad that levels the seat out.  Some weight is still resting on my arms, but that's okay.  They're SWMOTECH handle bar risers.

Can you send a link? Would it fit a 2019 MT-07? And lastly, do I need anything for the speedo? 

Here they are.  The set I'd purchased a couple years ago included hardware to raise the display.  These don't appear to have it included.  There's another set that is about 30 bucks less (Zeta) that you can find also.  This also come in silver.  I like the black.

• Like 1

If you want a little more forward lean and easier knees, you might consider raising the seat pan somehow.

Just do it! 

topazsparrow
5 hours ago, robbo10 said:

If you want a little more forward lean and easier knees, you might consider raising the seat pan somehow.

That might look a little funny.

Might be better in the long run to just add more padding to the seat itself. Or swap seats to a thicker one for the same effect and more comfort.

5 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Might be better in the long run to just add more padding to the seat itself. Or swap seats to a thicker one for the same effect and more comfort.

That is what I meant, really.  😊

Just do it!