The MT-07 Forum

Bike started sputtering in 4th

Aytex

So I was riding in 4th  going a constant speed and all of a sudden I just got no power the bike started sputtering so I pulled over I thought the chain flew off but everything seemed fine the bike was idling fine I’m so confused could it be the power commander? 

Edited by Aytex

Sounds like a plugged screen in your gas tank:  At higher fuel consumption it chokes out, but at idle, runs fine.  Regardless, the best place to start with something like that is fuel system.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rfmueller said:

Sounds like a plugged screen in your gas tank:  At higher fuel consumption it chokes out, but at idle, runs fine.  Regardless, the best place to start with something like that is fuel system.

Appreciate the response, do you know any videos that can show how to remove parts of the bike to access that location?

Search you tube for FZ07 fuel pump removal.  It's not that bad.  The fuel pump will have the screen, etc. attached to it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rfmueller said:

Search you tube for FZ07 fuel pump removal.  It's not that bad.  The fuel pump will have the screen, etc. attached to it.

couldn't find any videos but on the manual it looks like I have to take off the fuel tank before being able to access the pump?

• Premium Member

Fuel filter is non serviceable, its molded into the fuel pump housing... it has a pre filter that's easily replaced... 

Double check your PCV connections and double check map is loaded onto PCV...

Picture shows fuel pump with base mounting plate off... my finger is on the fuel filter...

20200528_062423.thumb.jpg.9be42004bbfa532f60afeede61e1011b.jpg

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yes, that is correct.  Once you have the four screws out of the rear of the tank, see if you can disconnect the overflow hoses, the quick disconnect gas line, and the electrical plug that is attached to the fuel pump.  Once you have those done, remove the long screw from the front of the tank.  If you remove all of the screws first, the tank will have a tendency to get knocked off the bike and on to the floor when pulling that other stuff off.   ( Just trust me on that 😳 ).  After the fuel tank is freed up, it's easy to dump out, and then you're free to check everything very easily.    

15 hours ago, Aytex said:

So I was riding in 4th  going a constant speed and all of a sudden I just got no power the bike started sputtering so I pulled over I thought the chain flew off but everything seemed fine the bike was idling fine I’m so confused could it be the power commander? 

Did the display lights flicker when it was sputtering? If they did it could be an indication of a short in a wire.

Beemer