The MT-07 Forum

7" Round Amazon LED Install

RETTGAR

Hi All,

I'm new here but I figured I'd contribute to the forum by posting my 7" Round light conversion using a light and brackets from Amazon as I couldn't find much while researching. I love the round light look but couldn't justify spending the crazy costs from Motodemic and Brogue on my well used 2015. 

Although, I'd definitely advocate for Brogue after doing the research, their bracket seems to be more worth the cost integrating with the OEM headlight mount and not requiring any modifications. If you have the money go this route, it'll look a lot cleaner and be far easier to install.

If you're like me and don't want to spend $1000 for a light and barely ride at night try this.

Here is the headlight I used. The brackets that come with it aren't great, I did use them to mount it up before getting better ones but I'd just order 41mm brackets right away.

https://www.amazon.ca/SKTYANTS-Headlights-Housing-Motorcycle-Davidsion/dp/B078MVXJBL/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=SKTYANTS+7"+7+Inch+led+Headlights+with+7+inch+Housing+Bucket+DRL+Turn+Signal+Lights+Motorcycle+for+Harley+Davidsion&qid=1590079095&s=automotive&sr=1-8

Here are the brackets I used.

https://www.amazon.ca/HTT-Motorcycle-Headlight-Universal-Kawasaki/dp/B01ERY83VM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=HTT+Group+Motorcycle+Black+41mm+Turn+Signal+Clamps+Headlight+Mount+Bracket+Fork+Ear+Chopper+Cafe+Racer+Black+for+Universal+Honda+CBR+Kawasaki+Suzuki+Yamaha+Harley+Davidson&qid=1590079141&s=automotive&sr=1-2

I ordered the TST wiring harness to wire in the signals and DRL's.

https://motostarz.ca/collections/fz-07-mt-07/products/tst-industries-signal-plug-converter-3-to-3-for-yamaha

As for install it was pretty easy, you have to cut the plastic fork covers off, this is a little tough to do and make sure you don't scratch up your forks. I used my Leatherman knife and was able to get them off with some careful cutting. If you have a proper shop and want to keep the fork covers, you can take your forks off and slip the covers off. I installed the brackets as low as I could so that I could fit my stock cowl and windscreen above the round light to cover the wiring and protect it from rain.

As for wiring, the main headlight is an H4 fitment and is plug and play. If you want the DRLs and integrated signals that is what the TST harness is for. I cut and soldered together the TST harness to the headlight so it becomes plug and play. With the TST harness the red wire is ground, the brown wire is the signal light and the blue wire is the running light. 

The light output isn't bad, it's not the same as a JW Speaker cutoff or any expensive projector but it's far better than stock and the look is way better than the halogen bulb. I haven't taken night photos but will try to eventually and update this post.

Here are some pics.

IMG_0057.JPEG

IMG_0063.JPEG

IMG_0066.JPEG

IMG_0138.JPEG

IMG_0148.JPEG

Edited by RETTGAR
  • Like 5

Looks great man, are the high and low beams completely separate or do both stay on when you switch to high?

Was really thinking about doing this just yesterday and looks like someone else just posted about a 7" conversion today too. Funny

On 5/22/2020 at 6:18 AM, Tjern said:

Looks great man, are the high and low beams completely separate or do both stay on when you switch to high?

Was really thinking about doing this just yesterday and looks like someone else just posted about a 7" conversion today too. Funny

There are separate high and low beams! The lows stay on and high adds a layer of light above the low. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@RETTGAR

I picked one of these suckers up and I've got a few questions after doing a mock up if you don't mind.

Did you do anything (bracket?) to lock the up/down rotation of the light besides just tightening down the mounting bolts?

Were you able to to mount your stock cowl/windscreen without modifying it? It barely knicks the top of the light enough to keep it a little too low. I'm thinking I might just cut a rounded gap into the bottom of the plastic so it sits flush and doesnt interfere.

Thanks again for your post, I actually love the light output and the way it looks! I'll post mine up once its 'complete'

I didn't do anything to the bracket, just tightening it holds it in place. I mounted my windscreen above the light but you're right a cutout would be much better for a round gap. I wanted to keep my stock bits stock for now in case I sold the bike and needed to revert back to original. 

The setup looks good but close up it needs some refinement, would love to see how yours turns out. One thing is the signals are not visible from afar so i've spliced in LED signal markers to run the same time as the integrated signals.

I'll get out and take a few pictures of what I came up with later today and throw em' on here. Didn't end up cutting it (had my bracket going up instead of down causing the clearance issue, felt dumb when I noticed that) but I'm going to see what i can come up with as far a bracket for the bottom when I have the time. Just feel like it'll be one wheelie and that sucker will be pointing at my toes, but time will tell.

I'm thinking a piece of steel bent in a Z bolted in lieu of the original bottom mount on the triple tree with a bolt and some lock nuts on the bucket to give it adjustability.

Thar she blows!

IMG_20200616_174652.thumb.jpg.e609c57d28b932e111eb495f4485d16e.jpg

IMG_20200616_174803.thumb.jpg.879d30c9b8089fc27845b90395dc312b.jpg

The black/white of the headlight matches the bikes colors to a tee.

I'm awfully not happy with how exposed the wiring is at the moment. Did the same as you splicing the signal wires in with my TST LED's. I think it looks great though. I need to swap out the zip ties i through on the stock fairing with some black ones, just didnt have any laying around, still less than noticeable when you look at it.

Some way of filling in this gap and protecting those wires is all it needs.This calls for a 3d printed mold and some fiberglass work. That or I'll try to make something out of an old garbage can.

IMG_20200616_174709.thumb.jpg.23d29b93994ee7dd5f0f59a674beee65.jpg

Tjern out!

• 4 weeks later...

The 2020 cb650r has a long lost twin brother!

I actually like the look of the stock head light housing but I am a little jealous of this modification. Nice work!

Definitely gives it a nicer naked feel, IMO. The FZ07 really tried to look futuristic and stuff, but lacked enough sharp angles (unlike the FZ10 and FZ09) to look like an alien bug. Better off going your route of looking like a more aggressive cafe naked, with the round light. I dig it! 

With this headlight installed the way it is, is it a lot harder to swap bulbs or access anything else around that area? 

• 5 months later...
Sunnycalibear

motodemic also offers a similar looking headlight.

Amazing company with quality products