The MT-07 Forum

Complete front end swap(41-43mm) R6>MT07 possible?

Roberto Tuzii

Roberto Tuzii

Hi there guys,

I have been thinking for a while now about my dream project; swapping a complete R6 Yamaha front end, including front wheel, clamps, calipers and disks, to my MTO7 here in Australia, so to obtain that fantastic R6 racy rock solid front end feel, and then making it even more juicy installing a couple of K-TEK SSK front fork pistons.

I have already seen that AP from moto art has been able to do it, apparently only replacing a top head stamp bearing which he supplies in his kit. I only wanted to know if anyone of you knows, if this is technically a mission possible, if it is worth the money to spend, and generally everyone point of view in regards to this topic. I love my little bike, the nimbleness, the torque in the engine and the stability of that chassis, I think it has a lot of potential if well managed.

Please I am really looking forward to your opinion. Many thanks.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:03 AM, Roberto Tuzii said:

Hi there guys,

I have been thinking for a while now about my dream project; swapping a complete R6 Yamaha front end, including front wheel, clamps, calipers and disks, to my MTO7 here in Australia, so to obtain that fantastic R6 racy rock solid front end feel, and then making it even more juicy installing a couple of K-TEK SSK front fork pistons.

I have already seen that AP from moto art has been able to do it, apparently only replacing a top head stamp bearing which he supplies in his kit. I only wanted to know if anyone of you knows, if this is technically a mission possible, if it is worth the money to spend, and generally everyone point of view in regards to this topic. I love my little bike, the nimbleness, the torque in the engine and the stability of that chassis, I think it has a lot of potential if well managed.

Please I am really looking forward to your opinion. Many thanks.

Totally depends what you're after and your budget.  I personally prefer the R6 forks for the availability of cartridges.  41mm forks are not widely supported for racing. 43mm are an oddity but they are out there I know some spec classes in europe run them.

Swapping the 41mm R6 forks is a straight swap other than needing to run the r6 wheel.  There isnt any advantage really though that I can see.  I know a couple of club guys that have done it when they found older R6 front ends for cheap enough it made sense.  You dont need to swap triples a 41mm fork will go in a 41mm triple no matter what it was meant for.

I perfer the 50mm 08+ forks for the length and the availability of pressurized cartridges.  Ohlins, K-Tech, Bitubo all make carts that will drop in and support is readily available.  If I need a service any suspension guys is going to have seals for them in stock normally.

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

Roberto Tuzii

Hi Spatt,

thank you for your input on my topic; I would like to try the AP link to see how that will affect the bike geometry, but also would like to get that great front suspension feel of the Yamaha R6 41mm or 43, for me it is not that important; of course having a choice I would ho for the 43mm. I wanted to be sure that is technically possible to swap front ends R6>MTO7, but also if I could only replace the internal forks, or to use R6 stanchions slotted into the MT07 lower forks, so to retain the original calipers and wheel.

If you could let me know if  these technicalities are viable it would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

4 hours ago, Roberto Tuzii said:

Hi Spatt,

thank you for your input on my topic; I would like to try the AP link to see how that will affect the bike geometry, but also would like to get that great front suspension feel of the Yamaha R6 41mm or 43, for me it is not that important; of course having a choice I would ho for the 43mm. I wanted to be sure that is technically possible to swap front ends R6>MTO7, but also if I could only replace the internal forks, or to use R6 stanchions slotted into the MT07 lower forks, so to retain the original calipers and wheel.

If you could let me know if  these technicalities are viable it would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

There is a link with numbers provided by Jon Cornwell that I did the mechanical design for... I think that is the link you are calling the AP link.  AP Bikes have been running it in MotoAmerica.  Its on my website for sale, the geometry is really similar to my original link but using a shorter shock with dual eyelets.

As far as what your asking about on the front end I have no idea if R6 internal will fit in the stock forks.  The only stock forks I have ran were with Ktech 20mm IDS carts for a single session.  Works fine.  Im not sure what your thought is in using 41mm r6 internals.  It would just add complication.  A cartridge is a cartridge with the exception of the adaption to what tube it mounts in.

Unless you have the parts already and even if you do your suspension guy should be able to tell you want parts need ordered to get them to fit the new forks.  Ive moved r6 Ktech carts to Gsxr and its just a couple parts needed.

Other issue is offset.  The raised rear swingarm angle pulls a lot of trail out.  You'll probably discover the offset is wrong for your application on the track.

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products