The MT-07 Forum

F3 cartridge conversion

shinyribs

• Premium Member

Great job, nice write up too👍🏻

• Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Ended up doing about 600 miles on this bike over the past two days. I'm very happy. 

If you commute in town daily and want ultimate plushness, this is not for you. 

I wouldn't call the ride quality harsh. I think "taut" would be a better description. 

There's a reason Cadillac's don't ride like Corvette's. This is definitely sport bike suspension. 

The bike feels so much more composed now. I may try to dig in to the compression stacks and search for some low speed plushness ( I'm pretty familiar with this generation of Showa cartridges, so I have some ideas and good baselines to work from ), but right now I don't have any complaints. However, I will update the thread if things progress. 

• Like 2

firstyammerha

lucked out with the FZ slider bushings working with the CBR stanchions didn't we? As I recall from my many wanderings through the Racetech website, there was a Suzuki fork with adjustable damping in both directions. May have been a 43mm stanchion though. Gave that swap a thought a number of times but... 

5 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

lucked out with the FZ slider bushings working with the CBR stanchions didn't we? As I recall from my many wanderings through the Racetech website, there was a Suzuki fork with adjustable damping in both directions. May have been a 43mm stanchion though. Gave that swap a thought a number of times but... 

gsxr600 but those are 45mm tubes.

Cartridges can be adapted, so can many others. 

F3 is easiest one because you don't need caps made or modified. They can also do both compression and rebound if set up that way. 

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

@twf and @shinyribs,I'm going to drag this string out some more by asking if the FZ07 bushing has enough width to allow a 45mm id? Is there a bushing with the 45mm ID and X mm od of the FZ07 bushing available? Break out the catalogs boys! And could the fork clamps be spread enough to allow the 45mm Suzuki stanchion to slip through them? 2mm is all I figure they would have to stretch. Sorry, but this type of post gets my wheels turning.

Yeah, twf is correct. No stretching of yokes allowed. There's only enough flexibility in them to allow for clamping. Any extra movement, opening or closing, and they will snap. 

• 11 months later...
firstyammerha

Oh well, I had great luck moving 38mm Suzuki RM forks to my 36mm PE clamps way back in the 'day' and thought this may work. Maybe Yamaha aluminum is made to different specs than Suzuki aluminum? It seemed that using the FZ07 slider in a bigger stanchion would ease the swap and be an  even better improvement.