The MT-07 Forum

Opinions regarding cheap Rearsets and Clip ons

Hi all,

I am aware of the ABC notion but I'm looking for cheaper solutions to get my bike into more aggressive racing position.

I found KEMIMOTO's rearset and clip ons to be quite common based on the reviews they got.

Could someone who has those share their opinion? Do the rearsets really gets you in a more aggressive position in compare to the stock one?

maybe others could recommend another budget brand.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Seems there are lookers, but no takers.   Looks like good stuff, machined, not cast.   I'm guessing Chinese, but could be another Asian country, like Thailand.   

One way to look at it is if you aren't sure you want the lower clip ons and rear sets.   I did the same with footpegs for the dual sport.  Buy cheap ones and see if I actually want them.  Now I do, then get a better machined and/or built up pegs instead of cast.

You could buy them, see if you really want the set up and then if the quality is there, run them.  Otherwise take them off and buy a better set.   I'm not sure how to test the metal quality, if it could be determined a bit using a Rockwell test that would be interesting.  The machining marks look and are likely CNC machined.  The fit will tell the accurace of the design, but material is the tough part.   

So there are my thoughts.  Good starter, replace if quality is questionable after trying the set up.

• Like 1

I have a similar set on mine. 
My observations.
Machine work is ok. 
Anodizing will probably fade and scratch up easy. 

I tossed the mounting hardware included and bought known good grade from hardware store. 
Take the whole thing apart and locktite with good hardware. 

Install went smooth, fit like is was supposed to. 

Here is how it changed the position on mine. Stock on right.

9D987F37-EE90-4F0C-8FB4-C9D25AD6AE26.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you both for your elaborated answers !

14 hours ago, klx678 said:

Seems there are lookers, but no takers.   Looks like good stuff, machined, not cast.   I'm guessing Chinese, but could be another Asian country, like Thailand.   

One way to look at it is if you aren't sure you want the lower clip ons and rear sets.   I did the same with footpegs for the dual sport.  Buy cheap ones and see if I actually want them.  Now I do, then get a better machined and/or built up pegs instead of cast.

You could buy them, see if you really want the set up and then if the quality is there, run them.  Otherwise take them off and buy a better set.   I'm not sure how to test the metal quality, if it could be determined a bit using a Rockwell test that would be interesting.  The machining marks look and are likely CNC machined.  The fit will tell the accurace of the design, but material is the tough part.   

So there are my thoughts.  Good starter, replace if quality is questionable after trying the set up.

You are right, they are not the cheapest ones out there but I ordered them anyway to try, I believe the position will be ok for me since I'm looking for more track oriented riding.

12 hours ago, Mechie said:

I have a similar set on mine. 
My observations.
Machine work is ok. 
Anodizing will probably fade and scratch up easy. 

I tossed the mounting hardware included and bought known good grade from hardware store. 
Take the whole thing apart and locktite with good hardware. 

Install went smooth, fit like is was supposed to. 

Here is how it changed the position on mine. Stock on right.

9D987F37-EE90-4F0C-8FB4-C9D25AD6AE26.jpeg

Thank you for the image ! really helped me to understand the level of change with this set. I didn't find any comparison online.

I will update after everything will be installed, hopefully soon!

Thanks guys!