The MT-07 Forum

115 Racebike story

cosp600rr

Little update - Finally got the bike on track to test and race it. The venue was PPIR in fountain, CO. The same one that the ama used to race several years ago. Its not my favorite track as we dont get much time there and only race it once a year but it was a good place to test the bike out. Friday was test and tune day so we showed up Thursday night and got all set up and got new tires on both the FZ and my Supermoto. Friday morning was a beautiful sunny day. I went out on my supermoto first to get familiar with the track again and make sure I wasnt going to do anything stupid since I hadnt been on a bike in over a year and the last time I was on a bike I had a huge crash, dirt nap and a hospital stay. Wanted to make sure I could at least still ride a bike before taking the FZ out for its first test.IMG_20200604_212434540.thumb.jpg.9531d8ffa5177cb4b2412e0ee9abb154.jpg 

• Like 1

After 2 sessions on the supermoto bike decided it was time to test out the FZ. Tires warm and pressures set... off we go!!

IMG_20200605_102046019_HDR.thumb.jpg.bf96af061b4da8dacb5c2de00aa1405b.jpg

Ended up riding it all of the sessions for the rest of Friday and didnt even want to get back on the supermoto bike. The only real issue was something is was wrong with the quickshifter as to motor would cut out randomly so we unplugged it and that stopped so had to ride the rest of the weekend with out a quickshifter. Not the end of the world but will want to have it replaced for the next round. 

Saturday we woke up to not so great weather with wind and cloud cover. Did the morning practice and waited for racing to start. The first race I had entered I was going to use for an extra practice to get more track time before the race I cared about and just before it started the rain started coming down. I didnt have rain tires on the bike and wasnt about to try my hand at racing in the rain on slicks for its maiden race so I skipped it.

The weather then cleared up for a while before Lightweight GP which is the one I cared about and wanted to give it my best. I dont have any points in this class and the first race of the year grid position is determined first by last years points and then time of entry after that. I was 5th row left for the start so wasnt sure how it was going to go. We all got of the line ok but was stuck in a pretty bad bottleneck going into the first turn since its a left and everyone funnels to the inside. I was patient to get turn one and two knowing I would be able to make a few passes on the back straight once we could open her up. I was right and made a couple passes before turn 3 which I believe put me up to 12th or so. I made a few more passes the next couple laps and then spent the last 6 laps of the race in quite a battle with 3 other bikes. They had better cornerspeed in a couple corners but I had more power so we kind of yoyod back and forther for the rest of the race but it really pushed me to up my game in a few corners that I knew I was having trouble with. In the end I came out at the front of the pack of 4 for a final finish position of 8th. Not great but not terrible considering where I started from. I was really fun and ended the race 4 seconds a lap faster than I had ran the day before in practice. Amazing what a good battle will do and being able to race with guys that are just a little bit faster will do. 

The rest of the day I just watched other races and watched it rain off and on. Doesnt look very fun to race in the rain on slicks I know that much. 

• Like 3

Sunday we woke up the perfect weather. It was calling for mid 80's and sunshine all day with a little wind so had the potential to be a perfect day and was really looking forward to it. I had entered 3 races and 2 of them where on the supermoto bike. My focus is going to be the FZ but this is a short track at 1 mile long and 7 turns so its a fun track for the little bikes. I entered the supermoto race because my buddies race it and one of them last year was his first year racing but I was hurt so we have never gotten to race together. After practicing in the morning the racing got started and my first one was the supermoto race. I got a pretty decent start but hadnt ridden the supermoto bike since friday morning so it wasnt feeling very natural. I took 3 laps to get back into the grove with with and ended up having a really good battle with my buddy for the entire race. He kept sticking wheels in on me here and there and I could outdrive him on the straights as I only weight 150 pounds. It was a ton of fun and Im glad I entered it. I ended up finishing the race running a lap time 1 second slower than what I had ran the previous day on the FZ so was happy with that. The track being so short keeps the laptimes a lot closer  than a track with long straights. 265695107_IMG_20200607_115123029(2).thumb.jpg.6a8ad6360f04c729497984a3bf5d75f2.jpg

Next race up was supertwins on the FZ. I was really looking forward to this race and was hoping to be able to drop my laptimes some more from the previous day. I was again starting towards the back so knew I was going to need to be patient in the beginning.  Got a pretty good start and picked off a few before and around turn one and two then opened it up and let the bike sing and boy did she! This little FZ is built pretty well so am able to use the power to make passes. I settled into a pack of 3 or 4 after about 4 laps and we battle it out for the rest of the race with me coming out on top of the pack again. The last 2 laps I could see we were catching 5th place but ran out of laps and finished 6th over all. I did lower my laptimes by a little over a second from the previous day so was very pleased with that. Its a great start to the season and  next race will be starting a lot closer to the front of the pack. The bike is an absolute blast to ride and did everything I asked to do well. Im certainly not up to pace yet but with some more time on Im sure Ill get faster. Now I just need seat time to get my brain up to speed.

Over all it was a great weekend and I cant wait till the next one!!

IMG_20200607_142538338 (2).jpg

• Like 3