The MT-07 Forum

Should leave it alone, but

AP996

Joaoduarte

Damm what a piece of art you have built! Congratulations, also shows that with patience, skills and hardwork we can do a lot!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AP996 said:

... they had got it from a breaker and had done 9000 miles ...

What’s a breaker? I’m not familiar with that term. Is that a crashed bike?

4 hours ago, D.A. said:

What’s a breaker? I’m not familiar with that term. Is that a crashed bike?

Yes that’s right a crashed bike from a motorcycle scrap yard/breaker

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

any new news on your build?

Not really João, been really busy with work for the last few weeks, the bike is a lot of fun on the odd occasion I get to use it, I’m still looking out for a different exhaust as I think with the spec of my engine I should be nearer to 85 hp and I think some of the difference is probably down to the small diameter stock header pipes, I could be wrong but i won’t know until I try. Problem is getting an exhaust I like the look of that’s not too loud, makes good power and doesn’t break the bank, it’ll probably come down to what appears on eBay though😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bought a new Mivv gp exhaust to try, cut the 12mm lambda sensor boss out and had a 18mm boss welded in just in case I ever want to use a wide band af sensor,  cleaned up the internal welds on the header entries as well before fitting. Went for the Mivv as I saw on other posts that 2WDW had got good power from one on a stock engine and it was really reasonably priced, however now I’ve fitted it I think it’s ruined the look of the bike! 
I’ll probably try it out on the dyno to see if it helps my engine breath better, then unless it’s grown on me put it on eBay.

This is the new exhaust compared to the old one.

F0B104D5-2DB6-4E63-9186-F1D6900BCC71.jpeg

DB10C5C7-CDBB-4A95-A764-A7AFE9B928E8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Short exhaust = Stunt rider

Long exhaust = track racing

Make sure to chop out that stock air box and new filter/velocity stacks to take advantage of that long pipe. Personally I would use the CarbonSmith short stacks with the MWR race filters…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randy said:

Short exhaust = Stunt rider

Long exhaust = track racing

Make sure to chop out that stock air box and new filter/velocity stacks to take advantage of that long pipe. Personally I would use the CarbonSmith short stacks with the MWR race filters…

Check the pictures, do you see a stock air box 😀

3 hours ago, Weeksy said:

the LV looks WAY better than the long one... way way way better.

Agreed, I’ve not got round to running the Mivv on a dyno yet, if it makes good power I might keep it but otherwise I’ll put the LeoVince back on.

Been busy doing track days on my old gsxr 750

35BB81C7-76B1-4459-B794-E9D607CB84F2.jpeg

Edited by AP996
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Christmas present to myself turned up today.

Awesome service from Hard Racing in Mooresville, North Carolina, answered my questions on ordering and shipping quickly, ordered on Friday delivered to my house in the UK on Tuesday and good price, don’t get much better than that.

15020FA2-0870-4B52-9590-DD79474A09CB.jpeg

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

AP, I think I understand the Wideband-PV3 Kit adds a wideband O2 sensor and the software, called PowerCore, allows you to make changes to the fuel map(s) in the Stock ECU. What/how will you know where to adjust and by how much? I note there is no auto-tune function, so fuel map changes will need to be made manually. Also, does the software allow you to adjust spark timing maps?

1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

AP, I think I understand the Wideband-PV3 Kit adds a wideband O2 sensor and the software, called PowerCore, allows you to make changes to the fuel map(s) in the Stock ECU. What/how will you know where to adjust and by how much? I note there is no auto-tune function, so fuel map changes will need to be made manually. Also, does the software allow you to adjust spark timing maps?

The Powervision 3 that i already had allows you to reflash the ECU with changes to the fuel maps and also ignition maps, i've used this with dyno runs to make the changes so far.

The wideband kit should allow data logging of the A/F ratio as you ride, i'm hoping that it will allow me to log the A/F ratio, revs, throttle position and MAP sensor etc. and therefore make accurate fueling changes without having to make multiple trips to the dyno, at least that's the way i think it should be, unfortunately Dynojet don't give much information with some of their products. I have found their technical help really good in in the past though.

I haven't seen where anyone else has used one so I'll be finding out if it worth the money   

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Thanks much, AP. I haven't kept up with Dynojet since I put a Power Commander on my Honda Blackbird. That experience, a little over 20 years ago, wasn't positive; tinkering with the sensor inputs in a very general way just didn't do much to create appropriate mixtures at varying loads, throttle positions, and rpm ranges. In retrospect, I wish I'd gotten a carbed version.

I'll be interested to read about your experience. My aRacer Super 2 ECU, with a wideband controller (AF1), presents some challenges. The technology and software are powerful and very flexible, but English-language support is poor; I've asked questions aRacer should be able to answer but hasn't.   

10 hours ago, AP996 said:

The wideband kit should allow data logging of the A/F ratio as you ride, i'm hoping that it will allow me to log the A/F ratio, revs, throttle position and MAP sensor etc. and therefore make accurate fueling changes without having to make multiple trips to the dyno

You should also be able to set a target AF ratio with the wideband kit, if you wanted.

20 hours ago, stickshift said:

You should also be able to set a target AF ratio with the wideband kit, if you wanted.

I don’t think the wide band kit works on the pv3 the same as I think it does on the power commander and the Harley type Powervision, it looks like you have to make changes to the fuel maps manually after studying the log files.

Here’s what Dynojet tech says 

“You should first know that the PV3 AFR kit does not "auto-tune."
It only gives you a live wideband AFR channel for viewing on the front of the PV3 in real time while riding.
It also adds a wideband AFR channel to all of your data log files that you are recording with the PV3 while riding. 
You can later open and view those data logs to see what the fuel mixture was, so that you can possibly change your tune file to make the AFR better on the next test.
This product does not make automatic fuel improvements as you ride based on the wideband channel much like a PC5 with Autotune would. 
There are means to calculate suggested table edits in your tune file by the TuneLab tab of the C3 Tuning software, and you will likely see some "built-in" formulas there when you open your tune file.”

I’ve not used the data logging feature of the pv3 up to now as without the wide band a/f input I couldn’t see any use for it but now with it, it should hopefully be really useful. No problem to make the necessary changes manually, should be no different to what you do after each dyno run really.

• Like 1

Another package turned up today, I had a spare exhaust cam reprofiled to match the inlet cam I put in last winter, I’ll need to shorten the decompresser pins to suit the new smaller base circle of the cam before fitting though.

D4092832-8DBC-4DCE-83FA-32676B1882DD.jpeg

M. Hausknecht

AP, I've a few questions I'm hoping you might indulge. First, with the wideband kit, does it allow you somewhere along the line to input the fuel's stoichometric ratio? You know, whether 14.7:1 for good ole pump gas or 14.08:1 for 10% alcohol pump gas or whatever the ratio is for your particular fuel? This is important because without this info input, the reported AFR won't be correct for your fuel. Unfortunately, the aRacer  stuff I have doesn't allow fuel stoich ratio to be input, so the reported AFR is only accurate if you're using whatever fuel they assume you're using (and, I should add, aRacer has failed to answer my inquiries about their assumed stoich ration) .

With your cams, what lift and duration are you using, and are you using stock 07 valve springs and pistons? I have some Web Cams that use the stock springs; and I have a set of stock cams I want to reprofile.

Have you considered running without the decompressor pins? I recall reading somewhere that they really aren't necessary with a decent battery charge. It also occurs to me that if using cams with more overlap than stock, cranking compression pressure will be lower than stock as well.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, M. Hausknecht said:

AP, I've a few questions I'm hoping you might indulge. First, with the wideband kit, does it allow you somewhere along the line to input the fuel's stoichometric ratio? You know, whether 14.7:1 for good ole pump gas or 14.08:1 for 10% alcohol pump gas or whatever the ratio is for your particular fuel? This is important because without this info input, the reported AFR won't be correct for your fuel. Unfortunately, the aRacer  stuff I have doesn't allow fuel stoich ratio to be input, so the reported AFR is only accurate if you're using whatever fuel they assume you're using (and, I should add, aRacer has failed to answer my inquiries about their assumed stoich ration) .

Not sure if this would be of any help but I found this table within the setup on the Dynojet winpep 8 software that you use to view your log files from the Powervision 3, maybe not what your needing but only thing relevant I’ve seen so far.D749EB2B-3BF6-467B-90F3-C718D163AEFD.jpeg.228795ad8ee0b2eca32a6e45965e524d.jpeg

Did a temporary install of the wideband kit and it looks to work ok, not taken the bike out to get any proper log files yet as haven’t had any dry roads but logged 30 seconds of running in the garage just so I had something to put into the software and start to learn my way around it.E93021B2-6270-4654-8740-1AA0F8E5A4CC.thumb.jpeg.1e075e9478c567ea631ec78a157515ad.jpegPicture taken at tick over 

M. Hausknecht

Looks promising that Dynojet at least acknowledges that "Lambda" is relevant to AFR. What I'd hope to find is a place to enter the particular fuel's AFR at Lambda=1. Without this info, the reported AFR is only correct if you're using the fuel type Dynojet assumes you're using.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, AP996 said:

Not sure if this would be of any help but I found this table within the setup on the Dynojet winpep 8 software that you use to view your log files from the Powervision 3, maybe not what your needing but only thing relevant I’ve seen so far.D749EB2B-3BF6-467B-90F3-C718D163AEFD.jpeg.228795ad8ee0b2eca32a6e45965e524d.jpeg

Did a temporary install of the wideband kit and it looks to work ok, not taken the bike out to get any proper log files yet as haven’t had any dry roads but logged 30 seconds of running in the garage just so I had something to put into the software and start to learn my way around it.E93021B2-6270-4654-8740-1AA0F8E5A4CC.thumb.jpeg.1e075e9478c567ea631ec78a157515ad.jpegPicture taken at tick over 

@AP996 any news on your project?

Tell me one thing the map sensor gives information about the air but in your case its disconnected because of the "new box" does it affect the AFR? Also what is the AFR youre trying to tune your bike? Sonething along 13.2?

M. Hausknecht
43 minutes ago, Joaoduarte said:

Tell me one thing the map sensor gives information about the air but in your case its disconnected because of the "new box" does it affect the AFR? Also what is the AFR youre trying to tune your bike? Sonething along 13.2?

The intake air pressure sensor, getting input from the #1 cylinder throttle body after the throttle plate, is still attached to the ECU and providing data. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

Hi, the map sensor is the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor and is still connected, the only sensor I have disconnected/removed is the narrow band oxygen sensor in the exhaust.

I’ll be looking to tune the bike in the 13 - 13.2 AFR range, I have only managed to take the bike out once since getting the wideband kit and according to the log file I got, my AFR was way out at around 12.2, the only change since the last dyno run is the new exhaust and I don’t believe that would make that sort of difference. The guy running the dyno found it difficult to get the sniffer very far into the muffler because of the design of the old  Leovince underbody exhaust and I now wonder if we were getting a true exhaust reading or were seeing some additional oxygen from outside of the pipe and therefore adding fuel it didn’t need, this might also explain the slightly lower than expected hp.

Hope to find some time to fit the new exhaust cam in the near future, toyed with idea of removing the decompresser mechanism but in the end have just ground down the pins to suit the new base circle diameter.