The MT-07 Forum

High revs but no power or speed gain when I go full throttle

Keenen

I have a 2017 Yamaha fz07, last fall my bike started to feel like it was lacking performance from what I was use too. So this season when I pulled the bike back out and went for a ride I realized when I give the bike full throttle, the revs will go up but I'll get little to no speed gain. Then when I let the throttle on easy ill gain speed until about 65% throttle rotation before it revs out and I get no speed gain. I refuse to believe my clutch is slipping as I only have 5700 miles on the bike. If anyone has some tips thats would be greatly appreciated.

longrider1951

Make sure there's about 1/8" free play at the clutch lever . If you have the free play and it's still doing it your clutch is slipping.  What you described are the typical symptoms.

• Like 1

As above: Believe what you want but your clutch is slipping. Double check your adjustment and go from there. The only way for it to gain revs and not speed is for the clutch to slip. It always starts with high gear as that's where the mechanical advantage is. 

• Like 1

Listen to Moss. You're clutch is a doner. It's not a big deal, though. They're cheap and easy to swap out. 

Don't keep riding it refusing to fix the clutch. You'll destroy the clutch basket and send a lot of grit through the engine. 

Do the maintenance now and you won't have serious repairs later. 

Thanks for all the replies. Well it looks like I'll look into replacing my clutch packs, any recommendations for aftermarket or is oem the way to go? 

8 minutes ago, Keenen said:

Thanks for all the replies. Well it looks like I'll look into replacing my clutch packs, any recommendations for aftermarket or is oem the way to go? 

Oem is the way to go 👍🏼

• Like 2

What oil are you using?  I refuse to believe the clutch is out at 5700 miles. I've run bikes to 100k miles on same clutch and these were 1100cc superbikes I rode like I stole them. 

Is the cable stuck, not releasing all the way? check at the clutch arm at the engine.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Twice, after installing knew levers or clutch cable I've had to readjust my cable because the engine would rev but not pull a wheelie or accelerate like it should've. I don't know how long yours has been that way and if it's been damaged or not but just adjust the cable until it behaves as it should. If it doesn't then you've probably worn out some parts riding it for too long that way. GL!

Beemer

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Listen to Moss. You're clutch is a doner. It's not a big deal, though. They're cheap and easy to swap out. 

Don't keep riding it refusing to fix the clutch. You'll destroy the clutch basket and send a lot of grit through the engine. 

Do the maintenance now and you won't have serious repairs later. 

Not necessarily a goner yet. Like my post says it's slipping but may well because you're out of adjustment. It could certainly be because it's worn out too. Check everything first, diognostics will tell you if it's simply out of adjustment or is worn out and needs replacement. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Check the air filter to see if a rodent built a nest and blocked your air flow. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mossrider said:

Not necessarily a goner yet. Like my post says it's slipping but may well because you're out of adjustment. It could certainly be because it's worn out too. Check everything first, diognostics will tell you if it's simply out of adjustment or is worn out and needs replacement. 

You're right. 

In my mind I thought, "his clutch has been slipping for two seasons...it needs to go". But it could be happening for only a few hundred miles or so. 

Also, it's highly likely the clutch is misadjusted to cause it to wear out so quickly,so that needs to be checked first anyway.