The MT-07 Forum

Tech-spec tank gripper help?

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I have a 2016 FZ-07 track-bike with "Tech-Spec" tank grippers- LOVE them!!!! I recently acquired a 2016 R3 for my wife to use at the track... The "Tech-Spec" tank grippers on her R3 are starting to peel off the tank. I've tried a couple different methods of re-glueing them, with little success. Anybody here have any "secret stuff" for getting them to stick again??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

I had peeled mine off a few weeks ago and just reinstalled them this week. On mine the original adhesive was still in tact, I heated them with a heat gun until they became really flexible. The adhesive became really tacky again and the soft rubber conformed and stuck better than they originally did when first installed. So maybe try heat.

3m Super 77 will hold them on too, but like Spatt said, it’s hard to remove. 3m make a less aggressive reposition-able adhesive, I forget the number.

Ed 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I use 3M high strength 90 when I don't want something to let go. Last seat pad took the paint off with it, oops.

I used a few strips of 3m automotive moulding tape on mine last year - still holding strong.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Thank you for the replies... The help is greatly appreciated-

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 4/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, Evill_Ed said:

I had peeled mine off a few weeks ago and just reinstalled them this week. On mine the original adhesive was still in tact, I heated them with a heat gun until they became really flexible. The adhesive became really tacky again and the soft rubber conformed and stuck better than they originally did when first installed. So maybe try heat.

3m Super 77 will hold them on too, but like Spatt said, it’s hard to remove. 3m make a less aggressive reposition-able adhesive, I forget the number.

Ed 

This seems like the best/FREE option. I already have a heat gun 😎- I'm gonna give it a go! Thanks-

• Like 1