The MT-07 Forum

Anybody here got more than one "07"??

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I have pretty highly "modded" 2016 FZ-07. It WAS going to be my dedicated track-only bike for 2020.... With the COVID-19 stuff, I don't see a track season happening this year..... I made my bike "legal" again, and I'm still really liking it on the street as well.

Last November, I bought a 2019 Yamaha R3 for the street. I make better choices on smaller bikes on the street. I'm actually pretty happy with the little R3. It seems like pretty nice little bike. I was originally going to buy a 2020 MT-03 for the street. After I learned that ABS was "standard", that was a deal-breaker for me personally (I like to upgrade brakes, and ABS just complicates things). The 321cc Yamaha motor that is in both the R3 & MT-03 is a REALLY nice motor. Even at higher rpm, it still feels really smooth, and the transmission is smooth as butter....

That being said, I still like my FZ-07 more. There is no other bike that has ever "moved me" like it- in over 40 years of riding! I've always had more than one bike. I don't want to be bothered with making a bike track-ready, to street-legal, and back again. My wife and I do about 15 track day events per year. It gets to be a bit much changing everything over all the time...

I'm starting to consider selling the R3, and buying a second FZ/MT-07 for the street..... Am I nuts???? Does anyone here own more than one FZ/MT-07???  It really seems odd to me, to have two of the exact same bike.... Does anyone here have more than one "07"? If so, do you have any regrets about that decision? Thanks-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

That seems perfectly sensible to me. You would have the best for both worlds. It is not as if they would be identical bikes. Unless you like to have a variety of bikes in the garage (I do, but you would too in a way), go ferrit, I say. 

Edited by robbo10
  • Like 1

Just do it! 

I have two 2015's. Both with mostly different mods - nothing fancy. 

Actually, one is my wife's - when I unloaded the 1st one out of the truck bed and pulled it into the driveway, she said, "That's cute.  Where's yours?"  Permission granted for another bike!  So I hunted around and found another FZ07.  (Hers is actually a little faster.)

And she loves to ride.  Gotta love her.

No regrets on either bike or the wife.  Fun meter pegged on all of them. 

And I think the current consensus among non-riders is yes, you are nuts if you ride one of those "two-wheeled death machines", but I say sanity is boring.

I don't track, but I think I'd pick the FZ07 over the R3 just for familiarity.  I do own an old Ninja 250 that's an absolute blast, just not as much as the FZ. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Personally I wouldn’t want 2 of the “exact” same bikes. But it sounds like you are planning on getting a second bike and set it up for a different purpose. There’s great value in that. Benefits are You have a plethora of spare parts, already know how to work on the bike, switching between bikes doesn’t take any re familiarizing, and you get to do all the mods you want. I always find mind self in a pickle when it comes to choosing what mods to do. With 2 bikes you don’t have to make this choice.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have a FZ07R (track bike only) and a XSR 700.  Love having both and see no need to own any other bike. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Cornerslider:  You are a freak of nature.  No, just kidding.  lol.  Your idea of owning two bikes that you really appreciate is okay.  However; since you've got so much experience with other bikes, and have found the FZ/MT-07s to be more a desirable preference in either track or non-track application,  your decision for two bikes of the same model, set up differently according to ride, makes a lot of sense.  You've gone through your motives and "whys".  Passionate riders do stuff like that.  (My two cents).

• 1 month later...

More than one motorcycle is the true American dream. I like having a dedicated track bike and a street bike. No taping mirrors, removing street parts, etc when hitting the track. Also no need to compromise on tires.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife has taken over my MT07, but am pondering picking up something to use as a dedicated track bike for the same reason posted above.  Probably going to look for another FZ/MT for familiarity.  Good luck!