The MT-07 Forum

Would you buy this bike?

theconsciousness

theconsciousness

So I just saw a post with someone selling their FZ-07 for the low end of $4k, and then I saw this:

G8UFOkzh.jpg

Post with 0 views.

What do? Its almost too good of a deal, and about a $55 fix, but I'm not a current owner of an FZ, and have been really wanting to break into the scene. Is this a dealbreaker?

Might be the reason they want to sell so low - scared 'em when they did that.  

I'd take a good look and figure about how bad it might close down flow, pictures don't really show it.

• Like 1

theconsciousness
6 minutes ago, klx678 said:

Might be the reason they want to sell so low - scared 'em when they did that.  

I'd take a good look and figure about how bad it might close down flow, pictures don't really show it.

Forgot to add that they mentioned the virus taking a toll on their income after I reached out to them.

I hear that.

Besides water starvation to the engine, there's also the idea of a stressed water pump.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

RUN..... Don't walk away from this. I'm a Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter. That coolant pipe is restricted enough to warrant a '"walk-away"..... Who knows how long it's been run like that??? Based on the pics, I'd say that it's 80-90% restricted. That would restrict the coolant flow by 80-90% as well. Unless you know/trust the current owner 100%- walk away immediately.......

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

theconsciousness
21 minutes ago, geophb said:

Pics and details of the bike? 

Lets just say that it is $4200, 6k miles, looks pristine, has a full system exhaust, power commander, fender eliminator, flush-mount turn signals, and aftermarket mirrors.

Issues: Kinked water pump pipe, small scratch on the gas tank, broken 'knob' on the end of the shift lever.

Edited by theconsciousness

Offer them 3500.  Inspect water pump impeller and housing for cavitation or other damage when you replace the pipe.

Then run it hard! 🙂

If I felt "very sure" they hadn't ridden it since the accident ( as previously mentioned, they've might've been too scared to ride after the accident) and that that was the only or worse damage to the bike I would total up the cost for new parts and labor and deduct that from what the bike would actually be worth right now (KBB) if it didn't have any damage. If the price he's asking is lower than the figure you come up with then I, myself, would keep my trap shut and snatch it up quick. I almost wish I had that opportunity when I was shopping for my bike. 

Beemer

topazsparrow
2 hours ago, geophb said:

Offer them 3500.  Inspect water pump impeller and housing for cavitation or other damage when you replace the pipe.

Then run it hard! 🙂

That's a big risk IMO.

Previous owner may have run it with that restriction in the system and caused internal heat damage.

I'd at least want to pop the plugs and scope the cylinders or inspect the cams. Nobody would really ever let you do that though - so yeah, probably not worth the risk.

17 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

That's a big risk IMO.

Previous owner may have run it with that restriction in the system and caused internal heat damage.

I'd at least want to pop the plugs and scope the cylinders or inspect the cams. Nobody would really ever let you do that though - so yeah, probably not worth the risk.

It is but I would still do it, fixing things doesn't bother me.  OP may be different.

Temp damage would only occur if it got hot enough obviously, it will still show coolant temp and overheat warnings on the display, even if the line is 100% pinched off. So unless the previous owner was completely off his/her rocker and cooked it into oblivion, then its probably fine. 

• Like 1

theconsciousness

Welp there it is ladies and gentlemen, the reason it was so cheap: Rebuilt title. Unfortunately, I can't take THAT much of a risk. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theconsciousness said:

Welp there it is ladies and gentlemen, the reason it was so cheap: Rebuilt title. Unfortunately, I can't take THAT much of a risk. 

Yep. Pass on that. Resale is garbage with a rebuilt title. 

7 hours ago, geophb said:

Yep. Pass on that. Resale is garbage with a rebuilt title. 

Yessir. Hard pass especially at that price.

18 hours ago, theconsciousness said:

You mean to say a title rebuilt in Utopea is no good?! I'm flabbergasted.

Beemer