The MT-07 Forum

Replacement Matris Springs - Solved

InsaneDawe

*Update* Found that K-Tech 36-260-085 was suitable replacement, initial impressions are very positive.

Does anyone know where to source a replacement spring for a Matris FKE kit?

I do see that the Matris website has replacement springs listed but I haven't found a place I can purchase them.

image.png.8d05aa81bb3c76607175b0d8488c3586.png

Spoiler

The stock spring rate that came with my bike, Matris FKE kit, is 9.0 N/mm which is about .917 Kg/mm. When riding the front feels rather stiff. Measuring my settings I have

Static Sag - 14.67mm - 11.28% of total travel(130mm)

Rider Sag - 28.17mm - 21.67% of total travel

After a spirited ride - 91mm - 70% of total travel

I already have the forks dropped a little, preload turned up on the rear shock (56-120 spring), preload all the way out on the forks. I weigh 180 without gear, I think a 8.5 N/mm  (.867 Kg/mm) might be better suited for me.

Edited by InsaneDawe
  • Like 1

You don't need Matris springs. Ohlins have springs in those sizes as well. Probably K-tech as well.

Or you can buy slightly longer and cut spacer. Traxxion has them so does race-tech, sonic...etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twf said:

You don't need Matris springs. Ohlins have springs in those sizes as well. Probably K-tech as well.

Or you can buy slightly longer and cut spacer. Traxxion has them so does race-tech, sonic...etc.

Having a hard time finding a suitable replacement from K-Tech/Ohlins since they organize them by bike and not dimensions.

I was hoping to find something drop in to avoid cutting the very nice spacer but that probably will need to happen.

Does anyone know what is the largest OD spring you can fit in the stock forks?

Like Zoran / twf said... it is the most common spring size for Ohlins cartridge kits used in all FGK, FGR and FKR kits as well as used in many OEM and aftermarket Ohlins forks. You can buy them as single springs using partnumber 04744-xx and in pairs using partnumber 08790-xx. The -xx indicates rate and your retailer can help with that... maybe call Ohlins nearest to you?

On 4/14/2020 at 5:36 AM, InsaneDawe said:

Having a hard time finding a suitable replacement from K-Tech/Ohlins since they organize them by bike and not dimensions.

I was hoping to find something drop in to avoid cutting the very nice spacer but that probably will need to happen.

Does anyone know what is the largest OD spring you can fit in the stock forks?

My exact same issues. Online shopping for springs is quite difficult and I really like the idea about being able to go back to stock and not having to cut anything.

1 hour ago, LamHa said:

My exact same issues. Online shopping for springs is quite difficult and I really like the idea about being able to go back to stock and not having to cut anything.

If you look at K-Tech's UK website, it will list part #s so by searching in the page(Ctrl+F), I looked by diameter and lengths. There is also Racetech's Spring List that should help you find what you are looking for. Most other sites organize it by bike model which won't be your case. Maybe try calling the shop.

I was able to source a replacement spring for my kit. The way I found it was using K-Techs part #s. I found that K-Tech 36-260-085 was suitable for my setup. 36mm OD, 260mm Length, 8.5 N/mm spring force.  The actual OD was closer to 35.5 and length was about 265mm. I decided on K-Tech because I wanted 8.5 N/mm (~0.87 Kg/mm) vs the Racetech (0.85 Kg/mm). Both springs are for the same bike models and now you can cross check replacement springs with other manufacturer's, like swift springs, since you know what model bike you're looking for.

Edited by InsaneDawe

2 minutes ago, InsaneDawe said:

If you look at K-Tech's UK website, it will list part #s so by searching in the page(Ctrl+F), I looked by diameter and lengths. There is also Racetech's Spring List that should help you find what you are looking for. Most other sites organize it by bike model which won't be your case. Maybe try calling the shop.

I was able to source a replacement spring for my kit. The way I found it was using K-Techs part #s. I found that K-Tech 36-260-085 was suitable for my setup. 36mm OD, 260mm Length, 8.5 N/mm spring force.  The actual OD was closer to 35.5 and length was about 265mm. I decided on K-Tech because I wanted 8.5 N/mm (~0.87 Kg/mm) vs the Racetech (0.85 Kg/mm). Both springs are for the same bikes.

Ah perfect. Real good info here. Thank you