The MT-07 Forum

Throttle sticking after lube, please help

Greenturdtruck

Greenturdtruck

I searched the forum and none of what I found did me any good, cause at least everyone else seemed to be messing with someone else's mistakes. I tried to lube my throttle cables, but now its sticky and wasn't before. Feels like it's kind of in the upper cable, like maybe it's a little too hard to pull, but not sure. The bike has been mine since new, never touched this part before. I make sure the nub on the cover goes into the hole in the handle bars, and sometimes it feels right before I put both covers on but once I do, it's hard to open and close the throttle. I used one of the cable luber attachments, if that makes any difference. Little bushing thing is in between the covers and grip. Doesnt matter whether or not I have the bar end on.

• Premium Member

What did you lubricate the cable with?

Make real sure that as you sandwich the two halves together that the cables stay within the slot of the throttle tube. I've found that lightly twisting the throttle until the halves are completely paired keeps it from escaping from the throttle tube slot.

Good luck resolving your issue. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It shouldn’t have changed but check the slack on the throttle cable it sounds like it might be binding. You may need to loosen up the throttle cable a bit. 
You can check the tension on the bottom of the cable where it is openly exposed. 
Loosen it up and it it frees up then you found your issue. 
I drove myself nuts when swapping to the R6 throttle tube. It tightened the slack just enough to bind. Took a very small adjustment to fix. I thought it was an issue fitting the throttle tube inside the housing.

Edited by RobZilla

Greenturdtruck

Lubed it with cable lube. I tried a light coat on the bar as well under the grip, but it had no effect. 

phanomenal07

Did you shake the lube can. I actually had this problem too. But it was fixed when I bought a different brand of lube and actually shook the can. I dont think there was anything wrong with the other brand. I just didnt shake it.

The cable can be incorrectly routed in the throttle twist unit.  If so, it won't move worth beans.  Pull it apart and just have a nice long look at it.  The routing is likely to be dragging hard on something that is just a little out of place.

Most likely cause:

If it worked before you took it apart, you didn't put it back together correctly.

When you find the cause, come back and post what you found to help the next guy.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • Global Moderator

That doesn't look like rust, more like poor quality silicone spray lube.

Clean everything with solvent external to the cables, use brake cleaner if it's hard to remove.

Both your throttle cables, if you have a cable luber use it, but spray and wash those cables internally with WD40 and watch the crap that comes out until everything is clear. Waste the whole can if you have to.