The MT-07 Forum

North Carolina trip

coz

Just wanted to share a recent trip I took to the mountains of Western North Carolina. I've been riding off and on for the past 15 years and this is my first time riding outside of Florida. Not a lot of curves around here. This bike did absolutely amazing. It was comfortable, confident and had plenty of power for me. I did a lot of riding but the highlight was Cherohala Skyway. I now know what engine braking is all about. It worked extremely well. Just kept the RPM's up a bit and I rarely had to hit the brakes. As I said this is my first time riding on these kind of roads so I wasn't too aggressive but still enough to have a lot of fun. Just an unbelievable experience for me. Only got into one scary situation. Coming into a corner too fast. Knew I had to lose speed fast or I wasn't going to make it. I quickly downshifted (big mistake) and chopped the throttle. Rear wheel locked up due to sudden RPM increase and the aggressive engine braking this bike has. Fish tailed for a few seconds then the wheel finally started rolling. Regained control and made the turn. Don't think I handled it properly but I made it. I am already planning my next trip and hope to bring some friends along next time. There's a link to a video below. Not the best footage but it's all I got. Had some friends take some of the video. They were there to mountain bike while I was riding.

NC Ride 2014

Started out towards the Dragon but didn't end up doing it. Just too many miata's, honda's, etc. and me being a rookie I figured I'll do it next time. I've been going to this area for the last 25 years (to mountain bike) so I know I'll be back.

• 3 months later...

I'm just a couple hours from Tail of the Dragon and if you ever decide you want to make the trip again, I'd love to roll out from Charlotte with you.

Archived