Sign in to follow this  
ogri

Dave Moss Tuning videos

Kyuzo

OMG, sometimes you guys overplay the simplicity of this bike. 

next, how to cook a perfect steak! 

RobZilla

It’s a passion brother! Riding and maintaining ones ride is definitely a passion, more than a hobby. It makes sense for people to get super into every aspect of it. That’s why we are all here. 👍

• Like 2

klx678
2 hours ago, Kyuzo said:

OMG, sometimes you guys overplay the simplicity of this bike. 

next, how to cook a perfect steak! 

Never been able to nail that one.  On occasion I get one when out to eat.   I like one kind of a medium Pittsburgh style.  The last one I got that was right and good the waitress had no idea what I was talking about, but told the chef...   seems the chef was from Pennsylvania - PERFECT!

• Like 1

Xrtaco
On 4/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, shinyribs said:

THIS^^^

Dave says so many things to contradict himself that I can't figure out why his comments are regarded as gospel. 

s-l200.jpg

The forks are basic, but they are fine. There is NO dangerous damping activity at all. I have tried running different grades of fork oil from 5w to 15w and everything in between. All the thicker oil gives you is harshness on compression. The damping circuit in the forks is so crude ( but perfectly reliable ) that's there's nothing you can do to really tune anything. 

-Heavy oil will give harsh feel and slighty slower rebound

-Thin oil will feel comfy, but allow fast rebound.

If you want any decent action out of the forks then something along the lines of Racetechs emulators is the ONLY way get any type of results. And if you aren't measuring and fully understanding sag measurements, then chopping up stuff in the forks won't give you good results. Do some research on static vs race sag ( aka: unladed vs laden sag ) and wrap your head around why there are two different reference points, and how people use them to determine what spring rate is needed. After that makes sense, go measure the sag numbers on the stock forks. You will quickly see that the stock fork setup doesn't align well with conventional thinking. I have a theory on this, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that it works.  

In stock trim you can feel the bike rock forward under braking. It's easily misunderstood to be fork dive. It's not. The rebound damping in the rear shock is way too weak. What feels like fork dive is just the bike pitching forward due to the suspension unloading in the rear, causing the whole bike to tip forward. Nothing you do to forks can combat this. 

When the bike tips forward under hard braking is temporarily changes the steering geometry your body naturally adjusted to moments prior. So when you quickly approach a corner, jump on the brakes and the bike tips on it's nose you suddenly feel this change in geometry and your brain thinks the forks are wallowing or flexing, or some weird thing is happening. There is something weird happening, but it's not the forks. These forks are fairly stout and the stanchions have very little unneeded stickout. We aren't flexing these things. The forks aren't wallowing through their rebound/compression strokes or overworking the springs. It's just the bike tipping forward and instantly creating a new and unplanted feel. It feels nasty because it is, but it's all in the rear shock damping. 

Get a decent shock on the back and 90% of the stock fork issues are fixed. 

A year ago the internet was making it's typical, predictable remarks about fork springs. "Too soft! Sprung for 140lb Japanese teenagers". Everyone was running out buying fork caps with preload spacers and heavier springs. Now, Dave Moss did a video and everyone wants to now do the opposite. 

What exactly are YOU feeling on YOUR bike that YOU don't like? Forget about popular opinion. 

The only modification I have made to my forks is the location of the stock washer. In stock trim there is a steel washer between the fork spring and the spacer, then the soft aluminum fork cap rides directly on the thin, steel spacer. The thin steel spacer tube chews on the fork cap and send aluminum shavings through the forks, which will absolutely wreck the bushings in short order.  Run the washer between the spacer and the fork cap to protect the cap from gouging. You don't need a washer between the steel spacer and the steel springs. They don't gall each other and the fit is good enough the the spacer is not gonna slip off the spring. I saw this at 600 miles and the inside of my forks were FILTHY! Completely disassembled the fork for cleaning and found slivers of aluminum EVERYWHERE. Already had some slight scratches on the bushings, luckily it was caught early. 20k miles later, with the fork caps not being chewed up, and my bushing are still perfectly serviceable and my fork oil isn't black from aluminum oxides when I change it annually. It comes out the same color as it went in.

You are correct. After spending 30 bucks on cbr rear shocks the front has really behaved itself. It's only during hard cornering with a little trail braking or engine brake that you can tell the front needs a little bit less pogo. I have a set of Chinese preloads up front but that didn't change the fact that the front is way too high up even with the correct sag. It's seems like it's built to lift the front every time you send it. 

I'll be doing the fork oil and spacer change this summer and it's about time to service them on my bike. I've only heard good things about the DIY. 

I like to tell most people that this bike is not made for street Rossi's. It's made for hooligans that like to take the small roads home. 

• Like 1

RobZilla

A CBR rear shock fits? Is that with modification? Do you mind elaborating on that a bit or did I miss a thread on it somewhere. Thanks

Xrtaco

It's a ghetto diy. 07-09 cbr600rr I think. You gotta take the intake off and go pods or filters. It's in the threads here somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

Amckay83

I just purchased a 2015 and after reading the threads and watching Dave’s videos I’m very confused. I am small, 5’6” , 31 inch inseam, and 120 lb without gear. Is the suspension going to be too stiff for me? I haven’t picked the bike up and I suppose I should put some miles on it before I even think about modifying, but I’m just trying to prepare a budget for what will need to be done in the next month or so. 

shinyribs

A good friend of mine sent me a link to this video today because I've got a FZ 07. " Omg , your bike is dangerous! You need to watch this!" 

Congrats, Dave. Your clickbait scare tactics are top notch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cornerslider
On 5/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, shinyribs said:

A good friend of mine sent me a link to this video today because I've got a FZ 07. " Omg , your bike is dangerous! You need to watch this!" 

Congrats, Dave. Your clickbait scare tactics are top notch.

I have no idea why Dave Moss has the "following" that he does???  I guess scare tactics work for "marketing" 🤣-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

D.A.
Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2020 at 2:52 PM, Amckay83 said:

I just purchased a 2015 and after reading the threads and watching Dave’s videos I’m very confused. I am small, 5’6” , 31 inch inseam, and 120 lb without gear. Is the suspension going to be too stiff for me? ...

That’s a very interesting question considering that 99% of the people who don’t like the FZ’s suspension say it’s because it’s too soft and springy. 

Now that you’ve had the bike for a year, do you think the suspension feels too stiff?

Edited by D.A.

shinyribs
1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

I have no idea why Dave Moss has the "following" that he does???  I guess scare tactics work for "marketing" 🤣-

Followers are sometimes pretty unsettling to me. Saw one of Dave's videos where he poured the oil out of a fork and filled it back up. Someone in the comment section was so impressed he told Dave that he was "a god among men". Cringe.  

• Like 2