The MT-07 Forum

Things I've discovered (tech tidbits)

Guru

• Global Moderator

Yamaha left that spot for Cruizin to fit the launch control for his upcoming missile system.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed, when the bikes running and leaning on the kickstand. The oil will line up pretty closely with where it is when turned off and level.
Would I use it as the be all end all? No. But good for a quick check while letting it warm up.

• 7 months later...

When adjusting the chain or reinstalling a rear tire, the swing arm hash marks and four-pronged bole don't present the same image on each side. It depends on how much play or tolerance is taken up by that four-pronged bolt and the accuracy of those hash marks, maybe? 

When adjusting the chain or reinstalling a rear tire, the swing arm hash marks and four-pronged bole don't present the same image on each side. It depends on how much play or tolerance is taken up by that four-pronged bolt and the accuracy of those hash marks, maybe? 
I double check with a caliper ruler.  

• 1 month later...
My speedometer is 6% too optimistic.

I'm curious how you found this. I've been testing mine this past week. I use the speed view app. I've had between 5 and 8 satellites tracking me. My speedometer is off by almost exactly 1mph.

I checked at 15,30,40,60,80,90. All speeds were of by approximately .75-1.15 MPH.

Also, all street radar speed checkers show almost the exact same thing.

• Global Moderator
My speedometer is 6% too optimistic.
I'm curious how you found this. I've been testing mine this past week. I use the speed view app. I've had between 5 and 8 satellites tracking me. My speedometer is off by almost exactly 1mph.

I checked at 15,30,40,60,80,90. All speeds were of by approximately .75-1.15 MPH.

I used my Garmin GPS. And compared it with some iPhone app. The phone and gps were both the same and speedo was 6% faster.

Strange. My first bike, ninja 250, almost exactly 10% off. Second bike was 6% off, sv650sa. And now three different sources all say my FZ is 1mph off.

But on the fz others get 6%, some get 2/3%. Could it really be that variable?

Normally speedos read around 5% or so fast...
Actually, once upon a time, that number was 10%. You could count on an indicated 70mph only being 63 or so in reality. My 3 BMWs (including the "Brown Stain", as it was affectionately called, in my avatar)  were all like this.   
Not so much anymore. These digital speedos are frequently off by a fixed speed more than by percent. My Aprilia is optimistic by 1 mile in 100 whether by distance or by speed (as per Garmin - looking away from the road at triple digit speeds is not advisable, so do at your own risk) . I think my FZ is more like 2 mph fast wherever you want to look.

I'm guessing the speedo sensor for this bike reads the front sprocket ( or countershaft ) so as you have rear tire wear, you'll travel less far for every rotation of whatever is seen. Changing a sprocket size should also throw some confusion into the mix.   

• Global Moderator
If you lived in a place that didn't require the headlight to be on at all times there would be a switch to turn off the headlight.
You're right, I found a picture of an old yamaha with the same thing. But you can see an imprint with on/off too. I I guess that on some markets the FZ07 has an extra switch to turn off the headlight.  

switch.jpg

paulibiker

I've discovered if a "big f..ing hammer" doesn't fix it, then it's probably an electrical problem..............LOL

• Premium Member

I used my Garmin GPS. And compared it with some iPhone app. The phone and gps were both the same and speedo was 6% faster. 

Yeah, but are those Canadian miles?  You gotta factor in the conversion rate.  

• Global Moderator

Haha, funny. But you're right.
We have kilometres and we are metric too, so there is that. It involved quite a bit of math but it finally came up with 6%, see:

math.jpg

• Premium Member

As I posted in another thread, my speedo seems spot on. I used a Garmin app (Viago, no longer available) on my phone, which has speed reading. The two agree within 1 mph ( strangely, I find hard to look at the phone while going 65 mph on the bike :) ).
I have bought a combination usb ports (2) and a cigarette lighter plug and mounted it on the left handlebar. I power it using the power port (fused at 2amps) under the left side. It should be good for chrging phone and/or standalone gps.
If I remember, I'll switch the speedo to km/h and the phone to km/h and see if the agreement persists. One hopes that the engineers at Yamaha can convert miles and km accurately...Apparently someone at Nasa couldn't convert Lb and Newtons few years back :(
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Global Moderator

Funny to see two speedo discussions going on at the same time but I can't merge one into the other because it will probably mess things up. My 6% remark was from a year ago. Oh well. I am pretty sure about my 6%, I measured at different speeds. I was pretty happy with that, my previous bike was even worse. Canadian bikes can't switch from km to miles for some reason.

• 1 year later...

Owner's Manual indicates to support the bike from the swing arm (using a jack on either stand if I recall correctly) for the rear wheel and to use a stand for the front wheel.

Archived